Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918 | Page 668 | FerrariChat

Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by mpowered, Nov 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. supermafy

supermafy Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2013
    Rome (it)
    I agree,
    I'd have preferred a no-hybrid lafe Qith TwinTurbo V12, less than 5L and at least 10cm shorter. Even so, I think ferrari's choice is better than Porsche and Mc about hybrid: V12 with hybrid-torque, but I'm not sure about the 2WD.
    Anpither point about laFe, Ferrari claims "it has an "easy setup" ". i can partially agree, but partially not too...

2. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Of course the power curve is an equation of (torque x RPM) / 5252, but it is very real and engineers set their targeted engine outputs based on it. Then they figure out how much torque an engine must produce in order to reach their power target at the desired RPMs.

Having driven a 2 litre 200 HP turbodiesel, and a 2 litre 200 HP N/A petrol screamer, it was the latter that was the more impressive. The TD delivered a mid range punch but that was it. The screamer kept on going till 8000 RPM!!!

3. CarMaven

CarMaven Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    #16678 CarMaven, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    Good points overall.

Not that it matters/unless I'm mistaken, I think all the magazine running the "subjective" test were British FWIW.

Somehow I couldn't see them giving the 918 overall nod (even with a Ferrari present) after so many Brits underestimated it and pumped up the McLaren in the process. That would probably be too much to bear (unless you were Jethro Bovington or Richard Hammond probably).

TG, didn't even take the Ferrari on the track during that comparo; speaking about it's good on road ride. Wow, when were Hypercars ever judged solely/largely on that? I'm not even sure anyone's conducted a full test (track or acceleration/handling) on the LaFerrari? So what do we really know about it's performance?

Just food for thought.

4. CarMaven

CarMaven Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    With all due respect, it's amazing how many people forget that last line.

It's almost like the truth is bent, stretched, omitted, forgotten, then bent and stretched again with no apparent rooting in history, the past and facts.

Before the argument was "the 918 HOT LAPPED the 13+ mile ring", thus "can it do it a second time at the same speed"? Now we've come full circle. People have seemingly forgotten that the 918 lapped the Ring in mostly Hot Lap Mode (or at least what they told us), and now ask 'can it Lap a much smaller track', relative to The Ring 'with out depletion'? What else does the 918/13+ mile Ring Record holder realistically need to prove and achieve?

The goal post "justa keepa changing" it appears?

You can't make this up.

5. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    #16680 Statler, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm sure I'm not the first person to see (or post) this, but I couldn't find it searching.

We can settle all 834 pages of this thread in your own living room:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Whoopsy

Whoopsy Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    #16681 Whoopsy, Mar 11, 2015
  7. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    yup. sorry.

the great f-chat search function didn't find it… as I said I was sure it was buried in the 800 some odd pages. Oh well… some of the arguments have likely been a little repetitive too…

Back to the scheduled program...

:)

8. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    The McLaren is clearly heavier. has more pieces!

9. Mbn

Mbn Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    #16684 Mbn, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    it was 1.2 second faster at Anglesey with the same tires ! knowing Mclaren I know they will do whatever they can to optimise the P1, they already working on few things and they look promising.

imho the P1 it's a fantastic car no matter what the numbers says once I'm inside it's a whole new word to me.

The 918 on the other hand will be my best Porsche ever and its a game changer too with elegant everyday look and drive and the open top will be something new to me.

I'm glad that my choices never been based on any track or magazine reviews and that's why I'm confident and happy whatever the outcome is for any, actually I never cared I do 99% of my driving on streets and when I track any I do it for fun.

Mbn

10. 250P

250P Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2011
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I respectfully disagree regards torque.

I'm guessing the 2l 200hp screamer was a lot lighter? Weight, as you posted previously is important here.

I had a 1.8l 189hp 1100kg 131lbft 9000rpm red line DC2. Great little car for the street, lots of fun. But boy did you have to rev the nuts off it to get any decent acceleration. Of course that was part of the fun.

11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    BMW 123d vs Honda Civic Type R, so similar weight. :)

12. boyko23

boyko23 Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2014
    #16687 boyko23, Mar 12, 2015
    So, after all this speculation in the last few weeks, some BS telemetry “data” and so on… Let’s see the official DATA:

918 Spyder – 4 laps in total:
    1. Warm up lap – 2.01.30;
    2. Charging lap – 1.44;
    3. Record lap – 1.29.89!
    4. Last lap – 1.30.76.

P1 – 8 laps in total:
    1. Warm up – 1.54;
    2. Charging – 1.42;
    3. Record attempt – 1.31.67;
    4. Charging – 1.43!!!;
    5. Record lap – 1.30.71;
    6. Charging – 1.41!!!
    7. Record attempt – 1.31.07;
    8. Final lap – 1.54

Welcome boys to the biggest Mac Cultist manipulation with the long discussed THREE consecutive laps and their graphic… :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. supermafy

supermafy Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2013
    Rome (it)
    thanks!

14. boyko23

boyko23 Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2014
    To be 100% precise - this is the official data from MT. There is not a single evidence for 3 laps in a row...

15. Apolo1

Apolo1 Karting

Feb 10, 2015
    bet they do not have ring time to take on the 918.....

16. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    After Clarkson's punch up and suspension from the BBC, will Top Gear ever come back?! Having announced that they've finally got agreement from Ferrari Porsche and McL to a 3 way play off, will we be robbed of the fight of the century?! :(

And before many of you rush to dismiss TG, whilst it's not perfect surely it is a whole lot better than the 835 pages of theory and bench racing that we've had on here!

17. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    source? :)

18. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Fight of the decade perhaps-there's always something lighter and faster around the corner......that said I'd want to see the cars on circuits varying from the hungaroring to Monza.

19. fchatid

fchatid Rookie

Jan 20, 2014
    Apologies if this is a repost.

Collection Day - LaFerrari + 918 Spyder + P1 | The Holy Trinity of Hypercars (Paul Bailey)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s7UiQ3sOwI[/ame]

20. CarMaven

CarMaven Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Just as we thought/read; the P1 had many more laps in total (if this info is true, which I wouldn't doubt).

Someone here corrected me previously, stating the both the P1 and the 918 had three laps attempts (when I said the 918 had only 2 in comparison).

Well, that was wrong. The 918 had two record attempts. And the P1 apparently 3. Meanwhile, the P1 had 8 total laps, while the 918 only 4. Even if the 918 needed 3 record attempts as the P1, it appears (by this data) that it would have only needed six total laps; a third less than the P1. Once again FLAT EARTH!!! What have we been hearing ad nauseum the past several weeks regarding lap attempts, battery charge, and lap times from certain corners (the total opposite)?? You can't make this up. But then again; I guess people can. LOL

Just look at the P1's 7th attempt/Record attempt vs it's next-8th/last lap time (131:07 vs 154 secs)!! Yikes!

Once again, facts trumps rhetoric. Someone got some Ricky Ricardo like "Splaining" to do (again and again)?

No matter what far flung explanation some folks will have (and you know they will), the fact that this info was never included in their previous "data" and arguments makes anything they say, once again highly questionable. This is why people criticize McLaren, the P1, and/or it's seemingly duplicitous fanboys.

Can some folks (once and for all) finally say uncle???

SMH/"LMAO" indeed (as I'm sure many of you are)!

21. vlad0

vlad0 Karting

Sep 11, 2013
    The 918 is a mind-blowing machine.. I still don't understand how it does what it does, but I really don't care.

It reminds me of what GTR did to a lot of it's competition

22. vlad0

vlad0 Karting

Sep 11, 2013
    Oh, and I have a silly question.. would the LaF need a "charging" lap ?

23. boyko23

boyko23 Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2014
    Because MT (as stated in the article) wanted to be sure, that both cars have full batteries before record run.

24. 250P

250P Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2011
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Would have been interesting to do a timed P1 LS lap not in race mode. Wonder if they did... Anyone know?

25. CarMaven

CarMaven Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Where are all the McLaren fans that were stating the complete opposite (more deflection on their part I'm sure) the past few weeks??

They really try to bend history the way they see fit (such as the total/charging laps, record attempts, and time drop off by each car).

Just look at the P1's laggardly last lap (amongst a plethora of other issues and contradictions coming out of this)? Can you say, "Holy Out Of Battery Juice Batman?".....Incredible!

SMH/"LMAO" indeed!