Ferrari literature | FerrariChat

Ferrari literature

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by t walgamuth, Jun 1, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. t walgamuth

t walgamuth Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2005
    I bought off ebay the other day a Special Issue of Sports Cars from September of 1959 titled "The fabulous cars of Enzo Ferrari".

I am enjoying it very very much. It has cover to cover Ferrari stuff including complete technical specs, cutaway drawing of the 128d 250gt engine and pictures of various iterations of Ferraris, engines etc.

I paid $10 plus shipping I think, and its just fabulous.

Tom W

2. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    #2 246tasman, Jun 1, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
    I take it 'Sports Cars' is a magazine?
    Published where?
    How many pages in this special edition?
    Are you going to post some of it?

Thanks

330BRC likes this.
  3. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    #3 Miltonian, Jun 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's not really a "special issue", it's a normal monthly edition of the magazine, but it does have plenty of Ferrari content. Those were the days, my friend....

The cover photo is credited to Jesse Alexander, all rights reserved, blah blah blah.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I gave about 45 years of SCI (and C and D), R&T and SCG to a museum's research department a few years ago. Those were great magazines....wonderful writing (Manney, Ludvigsen, Coltrin, Sloniger, Yates, etc) and illustration (Alexander, Cahier, Motta, Klemantaski, etc). Sure better than the pap that gets published now. Of course, given the standard of material (both the cars and the racing) that editors have to work with these days.....

Jack.

5. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    In 1961 Sports Cars Illustrated was renamed to Car and Driver.

6. t walgamuth

Mar 13, 2005
    Thanks guys.

I think that about covers all of the questions.

Tom W

7. whturner

whturner Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Western Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Warren Turner
    Especially Henry N Manney III - who had a turn of phrase unequalled since P.G.Wodehouse. No collection of early Auto literature is complete without "Road & Track on Henry Manney at Large and Aboard" published by Brooklands.

Cheers
    Warren

8. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    A quick plug for Warren Weith in C&D. Another one who could turn a phrase. As he once described someone else "A man who stuck in your mind like a burr in an argyle sock".

9. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I will throw in another on: Tom McCahill who wrote for Mechanix Illustrated. He could certainly turn a phrase. He may have tested the American Iron but that was not all he drove. Kicking around with friends and hunting quail at the Bonnette Hunting club near Palm Beach he got to experience that 'import stuff' to during some great drives. All this, long before things got built up down there.
    CH

10. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe

Warren Weith....that guy could write. I wish somebody would publish a collection of his columns. Thanks for reminding me of him.

There was some strong talent at Car and Driver in those days.

Jack.

11. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Tom Smothers too. Jean Shepherd LJK, Setright Ted West and more..

12. whturner

whturner Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Western Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Warren Turner
    Hi Guys:

Are we seeing the hint of a new thread - Favorite Automotive Journalists and/or favorite (Ferrari?) quotes?

Cheers
    Warren

13. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    thought this thread would be more bookish.

14. t walgamuth

Mar 13, 2005
    Sorry to disappoint.

I remember when it switched to car and driver. I am pretty sure I bought at least one issue before the change. It is even in my mind the last issue before the change but that's probably not right.

I really liked Tony Hogg at Road and Track.....Innes Ireland was a really fun writer too. Rob Walker too. Guys who could drive, did drive and other things as well and could really really write. I remember reading Rob Walker 25 years ago and just enjoying his writing with no clue until years later the breadth of his Automotive accomplishments and passion. I remember that whenever they did standing start contests with the test cars Rob could beat all the younger drivers even when he was quite old.

I have had this old magazine for about a week now and I am still not done reading everything.

I am used to modern magazines which I can usually read everything in them in one night or so.

Books deserve a separate thread.

Tom W

15. S. Scott

S. Scott Rookie

Jun 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    S. Scott Callan
    Great thread.

We have mentioned some of the really fine automotive writers of the period, and having an entire bookcase devoted to plastic sleeved issues of R&T, Sport Car Illustrated and C and D, dating from the 1950s through the 70s, I can agree with all.
    One of the truly great articles of the period was in a '63 or '64 R&T when Henry Manney and Russell Brockbank went to a nudist colony off the coast of France. Maney for the writing and Brockbank for the incomparable wit of his illustrations, to call them cartoons is insufficient, make it a great example of the editorial quality of the period. And yes, laugh out loud funny. My copy of it is somewhere in the stacks. Will locate it over the weekend.

And we are talking an era of automotive publishing here, the Mid-Century. I mention Brockbank to shine the spotlight on another aspect of these great publications, and that is the artwork of their covers and the art direction of the magazine layouts. It all expresses a vibrancy and enthusiasm of this sport car culture, with the fresh modern design.

One of the best in this regard was John Christy's Sports Car Graphic. With Bernard Cahier running the European desk, with his direct writing style and fine photos, and established relationships in the Euro car community, this magazine had arguably the most depth of European coverage for an American title.
    As example of the fine graphics here are three covers to shine the light on Al Isaacs the art director.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

375+ and Lusso123 like this.
  16. GBTR6

GBTR6 Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2011
    Titletown, USA
    Full Name:
    Perry Rondou
    Peter Egan at R&T has always been a favorite of mine.

Perry

375+ likes this.