Ferrari makes $80k per car!! | FerrariChat

Ferrari makes $80k per car!!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by PA Wolfpacker, Aug 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
  2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Define costs. For example, does this number include an accrual for estimated warranty costs?

3. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Good!

furmano likes this.
  4. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    At least it's an actual something. They make around $4,800 on every $5,000 Classiche paper for a car they sold decades ago, and that's not even for a mechanical/maintenance service.

5. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Gross margin of what, 20%? Seems right. Gross is NOT net :)

LARRYH likes this.
  6. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    This may be a misleading article. It does not appear to be calculating the margin per vehicle; rather, it seems to be taking the firm's net profits and dividing by the number of vehicles sold. All types of non-vehicle revenues and expenses are getting mixed in.

7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    About 74% of the net revenue comes from cars so far for 1H 2018

Assuming the same ratio - I come up with a net profit of about 47K Euro per car net (*have to pay the tax man)

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Yes, a bit misleading but that is ok. They were using the metric of company profit per car sold among similar companies whose main business is producing and selling cars and arrive at who is the most profitable per unit of car. For the exact gross profit of each car sold, you can look up the numbers and do your own calculation. They are a public company.

$80,000 per car ! We just saw the power of the brand.

9. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    A gross profit of around 20% for a luxury brand like this seems about right to me ... wait till you find out what the margin to the dealer is...these are production cars selling for 400K throw in a few 600k productions and sell a ton of t-shirts for 125 each and some 50 watches for 300 and they should do just fine...

Dave rocks likes this.
  10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I think the 80k gross profit number is on the low side. 80k per car I don't think would even cover development costs for a clean sheet model. For the small amount of cars they build, I would think 150k gross would be a minimum number to barely make it profitable. Could be wrong..tho..which is not unusual.

11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Its nothing compared to Apple.

Honestly, I question how profitable it really is when you look at all the investment and marketing and engineering and government regulations and lawyers and approvals etc etc it takes to bring in a new car into the market.

The life span of the 458/ 488 is probably 20K cars. For the others, a lot less.

Ford just made it's 10 millionth Mustang. Now you're talking some serious money.

tbakowsky likes this.
  12. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Gross profit to operate and make a desired profit is determined by the manufacturer and their market. Not anyone else.

13. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    We all know that we pay a huge premium to acquire a Ferrari and a premium in parts and servicing to maintain our thouroughbred in top condition. We know (or should know) to enter the world of Ferrari comes at a premium price. The article really is telling us what we already know they have just done their own calculation to arrive at a per vehicle profit.

14. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    i would hope they make that much per car. They make a great product and deserve it.

I cant imagine anyone is surprised by this

Ryan S. likes this.
  15. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I thought they would make more than that....$80k seems awfully low.

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    That's pretty bad considering how much of a loyal following they have for gross %. Net is probably 10-12% at best? They can do better than that with that brand.

17. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    I don't mind if the profit is going directly to the manufacturer like it should. But paying the dealer a huge cut is kinda wrong. And especially paying enormous taxes to the government when importing a car is the worst. They did nothing to deserve that money. Manufacturer did!

18. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #18 arizonaitalian, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Pretty sure this metric is total company “profit” divided by number of cars. (They say operating profit, but it’s unclear if that is pre or post tax and I’m too lazy to look it up)

It is NOT gross profit per car (which is higher of course).

And, as pointed out already, it included profits (and losses) of their other businesses and product lines.

I’m sure their gross profit per car metric is available someplace but I’m not interested enough to look it up.

Regardless the margin percentages implied here are not very high, relative to other luxury brands or even whole industries. The ROI in autos is pretty crappy in general.

19. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    Ferrari has very substantial revenues from the licensing of its brand, as well as extraordinary expenses for its racing program. The firms with which Ferrari is being compared in the article derive far smaller percentages of their profits from licensing and dedicate a far smaller percentage of their expenses to racing. It's just not a meaningful comparison.

20. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Why is it not a meaningful comparison? They are both car companies. Ferrari spends their marketing dollars doing racing while BMW spends their marketing dollars running car ads? Both marketing activities promote the brands and the products. In the end, they do that to sell cars. So, the total company profit per car is very meaningful to measure the efficiency of their spending, their R&D, their brand power.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  21. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
  22. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    The real issue here is that anyone who has enough money to buy a Ferrari would complain about a business making a healthy profit.

23. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I could also write such "studies" like that by browsing the web and using a calculator :)
    http://corporate.ferrari.com/en/2017-another-record-year-0 (official 2017 Ferrari report)
    net profit €537M, cars sold 8,398 - net profit per car sold = €63,944 i.e. $72,945
    The current number could be better due to an improved product mix (with the 812 production now completely on).
    All these figures are non-GAAP though...

24. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    And yet, I’d rather own Ferrari stock than Ford stock.

25. Skiday

Skiday Karting

Feb 22, 2016
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew Day
    My '97 355 was about £87,000 when new and my '00 Fiat Coupé 20 valve turbo was about £27,000 when new. My Coupé was manufactured by Pininfarina and much of the car, like the interior, is made to very much the same standard (sticky dash and all - some parts are even the same parts) and I don't think I could cover 20 miles of 'B' road any quicker in the 355 - although I grant that a racing driver would do better on the track in the 355. So standing them side by side (as new cars) you have to conclude the Fiat is by far the better car pound for pound. The reason for the huge difference is that Fiat made a loss on every Coupé they made and Ferrari mad a big fat profit. But what's the point in making a loss on new cars? You will only send your business down the pan. All power to Ferrari's elbow (although if we're talking net profit, perhaps it is a bit $80k is a bit large.