Ferrari Mondial criticism | FerrariChat

Ferrari Mondial criticism

Discussion in 'Australia' started by allanb888, May 16, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. allanb888

allanb888 Karting
    BANNED

Jan 29, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    I feel that Ferrari Mondials need to be defended against misinformed people, because they are a really good car, which had to meet a difficult design brief of being a more practical Ferrari sports car (as apposed to a heavier grand tourer as are the usual Ferrari 2+2's).

I don't know whether the writer of the above comment to another post has armchair knowledge of Mondials, or whether he has owned or driven one.

I own a Mondial 3.2, plus an F40 and I have a 360 on the way, and I can tell you they are very good and under rated cars. The problem is that the original Mondial 8 had 215 hp, and this gave the car a reputation as being not as fast as other Ferrari's, but still fast compared to most cars. The Mondial 3 litre quatravalve had 240 hp, the Mondial 3.2 270 hp and the Mondial t had 300 hp. So you can see by the time engine power was increased by 40%, you are talking about a completely different car. The car handles and brakes as well as any Ferrari. It is roomy and comfortable, and it enables me to let the whole family with children in the back, experience a ferrari. The previous owner of my car used it day to day in Sydney, and even used to drive it interstate with children strapped in the back.

And because they are under rated, they are a real bargain, especially the Mondial 3.2, which does not cost much more than a Mondial 8, but has a substantial jump in performance and looks more modern with colour coded bumpers instead of old black rubber. The Mondial t costs a lot more. So they are a great entry level Ferrari, and haven't dropped in value the 4 years I have owned mine (since the price has probably bottomed). And I still find the car draws a lot of attention, since I often find a group of people standing around looking at the car when it is left in the street.

And by the way, I had my Mondial 3.2 well over 180 kph and still accelerating hard at Phillip Island race track main straight, when I attended club track days.

I will post some photos of my car, if someone can tell me how to attach photos to posts.

Merlin Auto Group likes this.
  2. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    I think in many design ways the mondial is one of enzo's finest..everytime I approach my mondial I marvel what it is...a real 4-seat mid-engine useable sports car -- full cabriolet---and it has a full trunk and spare in front..and looks great too...what a design -- and the engine is also longitude..not sideways and you can actually work in that engine bay... it is a design marvel in many ways.. a great touring GT and it mid engine makes nice power ( I have a T) and great handling.

3. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    don't get your knickers in a twist mate, the comments were made by the owner of THAT Mondial and there are several others on this section of Fchat that know of the troubles he had with the car.

I thought it was the best looking Mondial I have seen but that does not change the facts that he had THAT car on the dyno heaps of times trying to see what problem the car had that HE couldn't get it over 180.

Personally a Ferrari is a Ferrari to me so not looking down on Mondials at all, I could cars less which Ferrari people drive so long as it is a Ferrari but the guy who owned THAT Mondial was so unhappy with it that he has not bought another one

4. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Australian spec Mondial 3.2 have the US/Swiss spec engine, with 255 BHP.

They all do 140mph (220km/h) or more, even the Mondial 8.

The longer wheel base and wider track of a Mondial makes them a really nice handling car, the "problem" with them is the driving position... you sit so far forward but the door is so long that the leverage and angle makes access awkward (or at least a bit weird).

And when you drive one, you look like a Ute driver (or a Zonda!!)

Regarding the <180 car.... theres an inlet ducting that can come loose and/or restrict itself.... That would be my first place to look.

5. ants2au

ants2au Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Too late, the car was sold around 3 years ago :)
    "my god, has it been that long......"

6. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    the 400i is still in the same league, in Australia the "norm" with mondials is that they are hairdresser cars, (mainly those that had salons bought one) and its a stigma that carries thru to today.

Drug dealers were not mondial lovers they prefer the 400i cos u can fit at least one body in the trunk, (thats why they have fallen in love with the Chrysler 300C) ((2 bodies minimum))

and general enthusiasts were never a great lover of mondials like the GT4

7. F40LMGTC

F40LMGTC Formula 3

Mar 15, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    GIL MATTHEWS
    There's just TOO many F40's owners around here

8. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    You seem to know alot about the Drug Dealer scene...

I thought drug dealer cars are chosen based on fitting oversized chrome rims.

9. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    john , will i see you at QR tomorrow ? i'll have the 430 but will be doing the fast laps in the RENSC . i'll take you round the track if you like.

10. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    yeah I'm taking the QV so I'll wave as you go past :D

remember, the middle finger means you're only allowed to pass me ONCE :D

thanks for the 430 offer but I need all the laps in the QV I can get

11. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    what tyres are you running?

12. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    not Hoosiers !!!

standard Michelin rubbish (TRX) waiting to get another set of wheels (328 pre-88) to fit the Hoosiers, bills are mounting up from the repairs so will have to wait until the bank balance starts to show black before venturing onto eBay

13. grantj

grantj Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Grant Johnston
    Personally, I didn't mind the forward position (room for the dog and a bale of hay in the back!!). My first Ferrai was a Mondial 8. Bit of dog, reliability wise, bit underpowered compared to Pcars of the day @ 250HP, but great handling, airy cabin, etc. Fastest I could get was 211kmh (7500 rpm), which is plenty fast enough!! I'd have another one without question, preferably a "T", but perhaps a 3.2 QV which could be modified to overcome its performance shortcomings without taking out a mortgage would do!!:)

14. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    getting nervous? moretti's gonna kick your butt :)

15. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    and then I might go out on the track and do the same :D

slap slap, wake up JM, you're dreaming :)

Giovanni can't drive for peanuts :D

16. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    i mean the cup car , the pax seat will be in , i know how much you love them :rolleyes:

17. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    thanks, that would be fun in the cup car

18. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    its called being versatile and knowing what people in society do, hence my knowledge on the pharmacy is quite good

19. eurospec

eurospec F1 Veteran

May 29, 2005
    Mt Isa. Australia
    Full Name:
    mohamad
    thats true

20. goober

goober F1 World Champ

Nov 15, 2004
    Adelaide & Thredbo
    Full Name:
    Buddy Miles
    yes bit like arseholes

21. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard

You are aware that 328 front wheels are not a straight bolt-on to a 308?
    Can be fixed but a bit of ginning around.

22. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Maybe :D

23. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Unfortunate, but true :(

24. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    So what's the bottom line on the Mondial? Is it a good thing or not?

(My grandma is looking for a 4 seater and wants to know). :)

25. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Do you wear Country Road, or Target?