Ferrari Movie Update - Interview with Michael Mann | FerrariChat

Ferrari Movie Update - Interview with Michael Mann

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by sltillim, Sep 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    This came in on my feed. Though titled about the Ferrari movie the article is a retrospective on all Mann's movies and only has a couple paragraphs on the Ferrari movie.

The movie will focus on Enzo's life around 1957. There seem to be many human elements to the plot and does not seem to be focused on cars and racing. It will look at the death of Dino, his marriage and affair and Piero. The rest - you will have to read...

Mann is one of my favorite movie makers and I am still in love with the old Miami Vice. Everything seems to be in line for a good one. I hope it comes out as great as I want it to!

Michael Mann On The 20-Year Odyssey of ?Heat? & Upcoming ?Ferrari?: Toronto Q&A | Deadline

HotShoe and Texas Forever like this.
  2. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Same here. "And Heat" is one of my favorite movies. Great interview that makes me want to revisit "Heat" and some of Mann's other work as well. Many thanks for sharing the link.

3. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Thanks for the heads up. Mann Is an all time favorite of mine. Heat, Collateral, The Insider, Manhunter and of course Miami Vice. I dont get star struck much, but when I meet him I was a little tongue tied.

If you like his movies, Check out 'Straight Outta Compton'. I did the promo tour with the main talent and director in June. After seeing the movie, I commented to the director how it sucks you in like a Michael Mann movie. The director was stoked because Mann is a good friend of his and he took it as a compliment.

Cant wait for the Ferrari movie and the Blade Runner sequel.

4. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I love Heat - great movie. so Hope the Ferrari movie will be just as well done. is this the one that is coming from Brock Yates book? - while its a good book, the love affiar with Lina Lardi is a bit light... as is the descriptions of Laura Ferrari

5. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    MICHAEL MANN’S Ferrari WILL GET FALL 2023 RELEASE
    Leonard Pearce○August 17, 2022

View attachment 3379772
    It’s a great time to be a Michael Mann fan. Following Tokyo Vice earlier this year, last week saw the release of his Heat sequel in novel form and a 4K release of his 1995 crime masterpiece. Now, he’s officially commenced production on Ferrari, his first film since 2015’s Blackhat, on location in Italy.

Starring Adam Driver as Enzo Ferrari, Penélope Cruz as Laura Ferrari, Shailene Woodley as Lina Lardi, Patrick Dempsey as racing car driver Piero Taruffi, Jack O’Connell as racing car driver Peter Collins, Sarah Gadon as Linda Christian, and Gabriel Leone as Fon De Portago.

Scripted by Troy Kennedy Martin (The Italian Job) and Mann, based on Brock Yates’ book, Enzo Ferrari – The Man and the Machine, a fall 2023 theatrical release is planned, followed by a streaming release on SHOWTIME.

“The most thrilling part of this experience,” said Mann, “is working with dedicated and passionate artists, Adam Driver, Penelope Cruz and Shailene Woodley, as well as with an extraordinary supporting cast of Jack O’Connell, Patrick Dempsey, Sarah Gadon, Gabriel Leone and more in these highly dramatic roles.”

Ferrari is set during the summer of 1957. Ex-racecar driver, Ferrari, is in crisis. Bankruptcy stalks the company he and his wife, Laura, built from nothing ten years earlier. Their tempestuous marriage struggles with the mourning for one son and the acknowledgement of another. He decides to counter his losses by rolling the dice on one race – 1,000 miles across Italy, the iconic Mille Miglia.

The film will be shot by director of photography Erik Messerschmidt (Mank), with production designer Maria Djurkovic, costume designer Massimo Cantini Parrini, and editor Pietro Scalia also part of the crew.

Bryan S, HotShoe and Texas Forever like this.
  6. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Adam Driver as Enzo..... no...

Patrick Dempsey as Piero Taruffi Italian racing for Ferrari, wonder what Porsche will say :D

audi_328 and Jack-the-lad like this.
  7. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Finally, a positive update!!

8. Peter Tabmow

Peter Tabmow Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Just to be clear, Troy Kennedy-Martin died in 2009...

9. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Paul Sorvino or Danny Aiello should have been Ferrari. Too late, now….

10. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    its supposed to be younger enzo, but Danny Aiello - spot on!!!! De Niro but, again, younger enzo...

11. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    It’s worth noting, Michael Mann turns 80 in February. I hope I still pursuing my passions at that age.

anunakki and Texas Forever like this.
  12. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Enzo's life story is pretty amazing, given the time and place he came from. It's actually a sad story. It will be interesting to see how this comes out. His Marriage to Laura was ... how should we say ... fiesty. his affair with Lina Lardi was the opposite, and acknowledgment of Piero had to wait until Laura's death in 78. It is clear that she knew about him, and was very jealous, and used to show up unannounced at the factory to hunt him down... "dove il Bastardo!" where is the bastard.... I've never read if they actually met or not. I've been past His house in Modena - huge apartment building on Largo Garibaldi that he owned. sad to think he lived there on his own in just a couple of rooms for most of his life. ( Piero and his wife lived above him. ) I've always found him fascinating... as much as his cars.

Jack-the-lad and JHNurse like this.
  13. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Adam Driver?? What a mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  14. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    I would have liked Ken Burns PBS documentary to tell the whole Ferrari story.
    I worked with Michael on The last of the Mohicans and gave him the Brock Yates book.

NYC Fred and Texas Forever like this.
  15. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    The sad fact is there are not many people left who actually knew and worked with Enzo Ferrari any more. all of his close associates are either dead or elderly. Brenda Vernor and Dino Taziluichi ( SP ) are still around.... there are large gaps in his personal history that were filled with conjecture and opinion. I think Piero is about the only one who knows any version of the truth... and reality.

Texas Forever likes this.
  16. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Most knowledgeable enthusiasts, scholars, etc., are never going to appreciate a biographical dramatization as much as a well done documentary simply because the producers are always going to bend the story to be something that will appeal to a mass audience. As examples I give you Faster, Ford vs. Ferrari, etc. The Senna documentary, while some criticized it as being a hagiography, was well done and managed to have lots of tension and drama, which is a difficult thing in a documentary. When I see a theatrical dramatization such as those I mentioned I can’t help myself sitting there and noticing the inaccuracies and the “that never happened” that pop up.

Texas Forever likes this.
  17. mx1

mx1 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2022
    CT
    Full Name:
    Danny
    Yea Driver as Enzo I’m 50/50 but ya never know, he crushed a couple other roles that I was initially like ehhhhh

anunakki likes this.
  18. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Never bet against Michael Mann who is in the top 20 greatest directors of all time.

19. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Agreed, would also be nice if the movie gets younger enthusiasts interested in the Enzo era vehicles by proxy.

Nembo1777 and anunakki like this.
  20. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    Caeruleus11 likes this.
  21. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    Watch "The House of Gucci" on Amazon Prime Video - He stars with Lady Gaga - you could change your mind... He makes a good Italian.

NYC Fred and jm2 like this.
  22. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I can’t wait!

23. stoutman11

stoutman11 Rookie

Nov 28, 2021