Ferrari of Washington | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari of Washington

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by italiafan, Jan 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yes. His fiancee actually works at our club, too. They're both incredibly nice people. Franklyn, Jonathan, Alfred and Emir are all very nice people. The last two service managers, Terry and Glenn, were also terrific people. Some of these posts are just bizarre. I hope FOW returns to the days of old so I can actually understand what it is these people miss, because as best I can tell, it's run like a dealership.

2. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I was there back in the day (~2002) looking at 355's, this was before they moved to the new bldg. Allie was very accomodating, in fact I al also met him in Fontana (by accident) at an Indy race. They were running challenge cars ahead of the main event. He was very gracious and took my clients and I around the pits and showed us around. I did not buy a car back then but was still treated very well. I cant say that my most recent experience was any better or worse but this time I did buy a car and would probably buy my next one from FoW. I go through cars pretty fast and have worked with just about every highline dealer in the area and I would rate FoW near the top.

I think some of the negativity comes from personal experiences, so far so good for me.

3. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think that is the problem, it used to be so much more than just a dealership. There used to be a real passion for Ferraris there and now they just sell cars.

4. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Which is no reason to throw them under a bus.

5. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I don't think anyone is throwing them under the bus, it's not that FoW is bad in any real sense it's just not as good as it used to be, which was much more than just a dealership.

6. RedFlyer

RedFlyer Rookie

Jan 9, 2012
    NY/SoCal/NoVA
    I'm throwing them under the bus. They're terrible. They have totally ruined the place and like I said before, if they weren't a Ferrari franchise selling a product whose demand dramatically outstrips its supply they wouldn't last any time at all running the place the way it is ran.

Having NO techs or service managers/writers with any appreciable experience while flying the Ferrari flag is dastardly misleading and a real disservice to anyone duped into bringing their car there, warranty work or not.

The current mgt. is dysfunctional and dishonorable. They've fired all the good people or they've left on their own accord, both the good people they inherited from old regime and the couple who came aboard after. They are known by many to manipulate and game the new order waiting list and the corp. mandated max new sales price with dubious straw-man transactions and follow-on "preowned sales" of new-to-market and limited edition models.

And I can't really blame the salespeople who are collecting checks "selling" products that sell themselves; the place is rotten from the top down. I'm sure some of the sales floor guys could be nice to casually shoot the breeze and have a beer with, but don't get that twisted with what matters in assessing the merits and worth of the outfit as a business. It is in the sales guys executing their duties as instructed and/or influenced from the people running the place that they are totally incapable of acting like normal human beings with any sense of righteousness, which again is why so many sure-fire sales have walked out the door over the past few years, a shortcoming which again is greatly obfuscated by the fact that they can sell every new car Ferrari will give them - just like anyone else could.

And again as far as service, they aren't even worth debating. They are a bunch of kids with some factory tools and software and legal rights to the Ferrari logo. The taking over of FoW by the current regime is the best present Richard & Fernando could have ever gotten and good for them for being poised and prepared to take advantage of it. And unlike some of the sales guys, having a casual conversation with the service writers (at least the only one that has been there more than a few months) would be an exercise in contemptible belittlement and frustration and a very unpleasant and unenlightening experience likely to conjure thoughts of violet acts in some.

It is way more than saying the place just isn't as good as it used to be or as good as all the other Ferrari dealerships. The whole place is putrid from the core and stinks. I feel bad for you guys who feel tethered to them for some geographic or warranty or a misplaced sense of comradery or whatever reason.

7. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    I was around when FoW opened their doors at the *OLD* location. Full disclosure - I was not an employee, but was treated like one (GOOD thing!). So I have some historical perspective here.

I personally know of at least one person who bought - not an antique by any stretch -a 348SS from an "out of region" dealer. FoW got their wrist slapped by FNA for one of "their" customers buying elsewhere. The reasoning, as I understood it, was that if local customers are going elsewhere to buy their cars, then the service/treatment at the local dealer must be sub-par.

It had nothing to do w/ the relative age (i.e. "antique") of the car, it had everything to do with the level and quality of service. And the old FoW was so good, this didn't happen more than once or twice that I know of (my "time on scene" was from opening of the old shop in the mid-90's to sale of the new just a few years ago).

FWIW/YMMV/yadda yadda yadda......

8. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Fontana '02 was a Grand-Am race w/ the 360GT (s/n 2008), not challenge cars. FoW had loads of success w/ Challenge cars, and even more in the GT series (winning a then-record 5 races in a row at the end of '02, as well as back-to-back GT championships in '02 and '03).

The great thing about Allie, which seems to be lacking in the current FoW, was that he was (and remains) a Ferrari owner and enthusiast. That's why you got the royal treatment.

Once again, FWIW/YMMV/yadda yadda yadda.....

[trivia question - without peeking, who can name those 5 races?]

9. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I just got a letter about some sort of 355 recall item, which the dealership will fix for free. Having been through that mess before, I'll be taking it to Gaithersburg and will be paying instead.

10. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    So does that mean that Ferrari dealers are expected by FNA to really try hard to find you the used vehicle you request, in the year, color and options you want, and have it transferred? If FNA is to come down that hard on a dealer for circumstances seemingly beyond their sphere of influence, it would also seem to mean that dealerships should be inclined toward reciprocity, moving metal between each other, even if that phone call means your commission was just halved. Is this close to the case? When I see a car I want at any Ferrari dealer nationwide, are we saying my dealer should have the pull to get that car and sell it to me?

11. F-1

F-1 Karting

Sep 30, 2010
    east coast
    If you are a Washingtonian you should not doubt about FOWs excellent customer service !!!!!
    I agree with Pipers opinion.

12. JoshECS

JoshECS Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 3, 2010
    Ashburn,VA
    Full Name:
    Josh Hill
    As extreme as that sounds, a lot of other new/used car dealerships will provide the same service. They usually prefer to swap cars within their own inventory (owning multiple locations) but will work deals with other non-local dealerships as well.

Not to say this is their favorite way of making a sale, but it's not that unusual.

13. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Frankly, I don't really know what it "means" - I only know that it happened. Buyer was someone who had been around FoW *A LOT*, so when they bought outside the region, not only was FoW a little miffed about it, they heard about it from FNA, too.

My "assumption" (yeah, yeah, I know....) had always been that either: a. FoW should have gotten the buyer into a car from their inventory; or 2. the dealer-to-dealer swap should have been arranged.

But as I said, I don't really know what FNA's intentions were... Really sorry I can't add more clarity.

14. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Interesting. Thanks, Josh.

15. KJM3SMG

KJM3SMG Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2006
    Loudoun County, VA
    Full Name:
    Karl - KJ
    at FOW I mentioned I saw some cars elsewhere that I wanted.. another Ferrari dealership and asked if they could get it for me, I'll pay the shipping and near sticker, and have them warranty it.. they said it's not something they could do (even tho they stand to make a good chunk of change). FNA must have special rules.

So no I don't think they work like other used car dealerships.. or even some regular car dealerships like Toyota where they can get cars from other lots.

I'll have to ask them more specifically next time I'm over there.

16. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Ask like "I'm going to buy this 599 from X dealer if you don't get it for me". See what they say :)

17. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Under the new ownership, Ferrari of Washington seems to have turned from a hobbyist/enthusiast centric dealership into more of a luxury good high-end dealer in the manner of Tiffany's, Burberry, LV. They are focused on pleasing those that can pay top dollar for a luxury product rather than the former team's passion for a sportsman's brand that happened to be expensive. The old crew just seemed to have passion for everything Ferrari and sports cars as demonstrated by Allie's 250 GT SWB back in the race shop and their involvement with the 360GT. The crew always recognized me and treated me like a family friend, even though they knew I was not in the position to buy a car at the time, to the point that Ralph and Redding would always smile and wave even when talking to other higher paying customers. Then would always come chat and showme the newest(although often older than me) toys in the showroom. They still got money from me in shirt and hat sales along with magazines and even a great dinner driving event. The current team seems to tolerate the gawkers and dreamers, but they don't seem to try to help those folks feel a touch of the dream like the old crew did. They have their business plan to sale to and please those that can afford to drop what amounts to twice the price of an average home in America on an automobile/status symbol. I guess there is nothing wrong with doing that in America, it is just a very different club than the place used to be with a very different vibe.

18. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    Piper,

I have had that conversation with them in the past when I was in the market for a F430 coupe. Unfortunately FOW has more of a margin on a car "in stock" so the chance of you getting a car from another dealer through FOW at a great price is tough. The F430 I wanted was in Illinois and I figured that the selling dealer was going to get $5,000 and I also figured FOW was going to make approx $8000. I know these guys need to make a living but I was not going to pay the $8000 and put it right into FOW's pocket when I could pay $8000 less which I did on a very similar car with 2,000 miles less. I found a similar car elsewhere where the car was in stock and the price was just perfect and very fair. I just thought I would share. I hope you have better luck with pricing once you locate the right 599 but for me it was too much of a stretch to make a deal come together with trying to locate a car and have two dealers make their cut.....Maybe the fact that you are a previous customer Franklyn can pull some strings, just don't overpay, 599's are all over the board in terms of pricing. Just curious, has FOW given you a trade number on your F430 spider?

I am headed to FOW now to get my F430. My car has sat for a week awaiting an exhaust bracket that never came in. I am leaving on vacation for a good bit and I don't want to leave the car at the dealer for a long duration of time. Its funny, they stock the muffler but not the bracket. I will repair upon my return.

19. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    +1 Well Said

20. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well stated, Dennis. Perfectly reasonable and seems an accurate reflection. Thanks for the objectivity. Hell, you could close the thread with that.

I haven't asked them for trade in numbers. We're in a don't ask don't tell mode where they know I'd like a 599 and to trade, but I want more than they're willing and want to pay less than they're asking. I mentioned the general thought process to Franklyn and didn't really get an answer, which was an answer in itself. I don't really need a response. They'd offer me $130-135k, I'm assuming. I'm in no hurry to sell. Waiting is very much in my favor right now.

21. russarch

russarch Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Alexandria, VA
    #71 russarch, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
    Look, we're talking about selling very expensive and exclusive vehicles. If your approach as a Ferrari salesperson, is to simply push metal out the front door for a paycheck, then you need to find a nice comfortable sales desk at some Toyota dealership where you can get your "Saleman of the Month" picture hung on the wall near the restroom. That's not what we're talking about. It's about cultivating business and clients, both in the short-term (pending sales & service) as well as long-term (prospective sales or repeat sales). What you're seeing described here is the distinct differences that exist between Ferrari dealerships - those that are customer focused and commited to delivering the service and owner experience that should come with premium car ownership. They understand that if you buy a Ferrari, Maserati, or Lambo, you're likely to a customer for life. As such, losing you as a customer is not an option and demonstrating that whenever possible becomes important. For those dealerships that don't subscribe to that approach, its all about pushing metal out the door. Therefore, when you walk off the street and you ask the sales person for advise or an assist in finding a car, there are any number of things that salesperson can do to help cultivate that potential customer that don't take a lot of time and effort. In my experience, you're not likely to get much response from FOW - not in its current form. But we can hope for the future.

22. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Just so I understand, what is the extra service they're supposed to be providing that they're not? Seriously, I really don't know. The guys that are mad at FOW are emotional about this, but I just want to keep it real. I go in there fairly often and the sales guys spend time standing right next to me talking as long as I'm there, knowing full well I'm not there to buy that day. I really, honestly don't know what they're supposed to be doing that they're not. If it's watching a race, why don't we all yank their chains and just rally up there next season for one? They're not going to blink an eye. I'm a used ferrari buyer thus far only and I feel I'm treated with the utmost respect and they spend as much time as possible, literally as much as possible talking to me even when they know I'm not currently seriously in the market. Someone please explain what it is they don't do now that they should.

23. RedFlyer

RedFlyer Rookie

Jan 9, 2012
    NY/SoCal/NoVA
    Lets see.... they do things like you mentioned prior "I mentioned the general thought process (of trading up to 599) to Franklyn and didn't really get an answer". Maybe you just take being dissed by a 20-something flippant snip kid different than most others do, which maybe isn't a bad trait to have. You'll probably live longer.

BTW Franklyn wouldn't have the authoity to make a call on a trade or sale like that if he was the last person left breathing in the state of VA. So don't take it too personal that you didn't get an answer, he was just indifferent enough to even go and run it past his handlers. Pretty much par for the course.

They're the worst and seems getting worser as FNA's closed new-sales territory schema allows them and their stench to linger on. But you can trade and get pre-owned from any dealer (even if it does generate a letter from corp. to your territory dealer, trust me FoW could care less what corp. has to say to them, thier owner/owner's front man or whatever he is has several dealerships and strong ties to corp., he is insulated from any corp. blowback, hence the outcome we see there now at FoW when he has the incapable arrogant children running the place totally unchecked like he does), so pay a visit to Algar or call Long Island or Ft. Lauderdale if you want to trade into a 599 and prefer to get treated like a person worthy of answers and respect.

24. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Ignore list just grew. Don't mind intelligent debate, differing opinions, but I do mind this guy, Mr. anonymous 3 post.

25. russarch

russarch Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Alexandria, VA
    In my situation, I felt there was an opportunity to find out what I was looking for and offer some insight on what they could do, if anything, to assist in my efforts. I was very open to the possibility that my request might not be a high priority for them (or even something they could accommodate), but I was also there to see what type of operation they ran. Would this be a place that I would want to do business with? At miniimum, recognizing a potential customer and treating them like one is the first opportunity a salesperson has to make an impression and to sell the dealership. However, one would only do that if they thought that was an important thing to do (i.e., cultivating a new customer). Let's face it, there's really very little required to sell these cars, they effectively sell themselves. Typically, buyers of these cars have done all their research, know what their options are and are probably pretty enthusiastic about making a purchase - if not right now then in the future.

An experienced salesperson should be able to identify the "curious tire kickers" from the real and potential customers. In either case, everyone deserves some basic courtesy, but if you don't spend the minimum time with someone or show interest in their needs, you'll never really know who just walked in your door - the guy with a cashier's check in his back pocket or someone who will be back in four months to make a purchase. If you piss them off, they may exercise other options.

Look, I understand that people probably walk in every weekend and take pictures of their cars, but the customer experience needs to be at a much higher level - at least equivalent to the quality of the cars they're selling. Leaving people with the impression that we are the only game in town and you have to deal with us is the sort of approach that will just turn people off. Obviously, my opinions are based on my experiences and I don't expect you to fully understand since you've had a different experience. All I'm suggesting, and you've heard several other people (other than RedFlyer) make the same point, there appears to be something lacking in the owner experience and the cumstomer service philosphy that doesn't add up for some people. It's not the end of the world, they're not bad or evil people, but I would suggest they are leaving a lot of potential deals on the table due to their prevailing business practices. To each their own and I'm glad to hear that you're satisfied owner. They need more of you!