Ferrari of Washington | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferrari of Washington

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by italiafan, Jan 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RedFlyer

RedFlyer Rookie

Jan 9, 2012
    NY/SoCal/NoVA
    Hey, you said you "want to keep it real". I'm just pointing out that you said yourself you ask questions to the FoW deities and get no answer. I understand that in some kind of self-preservation of dignity way you may choose to interpret a no-response as being some kind of calculated subliminal "answer in itself", but I'd suggest that it isn't that sophisticated. Unless you have some kind of deep psyche relationship with the FoW staff that is far different than that had by anyone and everyone else I know that deals with them over there (which is a pretty big sample of people from straight up multi-multi car purchasing ballers to long time racers to kids "kicking tires" taking pictures), what you experienced in your lack of response was a plain vanilla pure indifference "I don't give a sh-t about you" communication (or lack thereof). Sorry if you don't like having it brought to your attention that you're likely being dissed as per the status quo operating procedure over there at FoW. But that's keeping it real.

As for having 3 posts under my current moniker, I used to be more active on this board in year's past when there was a tight knit group from the OLD GUARD days of the long-since-gone fabulous FoW track days etc. But even then I don't think I could match your (correct me if my math is wrong 5066 posts across 06/2010 - 01/2012 = 19.5 mo.s = aprx. 5760 days) 8.6+ posts a day avg. EVERYDAY since June 2010. That is impressive. You are doing well to have that much time on your hands. Maybe you should spend more of it with the guys over at FoW coaching them on their communication skills.

2. RedFlyer

RedFlyer Rookie

Jan 9, 2012
    NY/SoCal/NoVA
    Correction = aprx. 585 days.

3. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    #78 Zinger, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
    Take it easy RedFlyer. Piper is well respected on this board and lashing out at him is not accomplishing anything. I agree FOW is not a great dealership but don't take it out on a forum member. I am frustrated with FOW as well, they are nowhere near the dealerships such as Algar and Ferrari Ft. Lauderdale, it is what it is. I live 10 minutes from FOW so it really is frustrating for me as well.... I agree with your comments on FOW but keep the focus on the dealer, becomes way less productive taking low blows at Piper. I purchased my car from Algar and will most likely do business with them again. Francis, Tony K, and Stephen are straight up, they know how to run a store!!!

4. KJM3SMG

KJM3SMG Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2006
    Loudoun County, VA
    Full Name:
    Karl - KJ
    What is your old post handle and why did you just not use that, instead of making a new one just to satisfy the mudslinging?

5. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Agreed, let's keep this above the belt here and have a good dicscussion without needless mudslinging. Though I don't claim to know FoW or Piper well I can tell you that my one experience with him was him allowing me, someone he had never talked to or met, to come to an event at his private club no questions asked. That is class a there and calling into question his post numbers/use of his time is unjustified and ridiculous.

6. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It could well be that you're buying at a different level than me, warranties and such, have more to expect. All I care is that they're nice. That's about it, and the only reason I got involved, just to point out that I think they're nice and I'm satisfied.

Since you guys quoted him and I got to read what he said, I'd point out that he's saying I didn't get a response to a question at FOW. That's not precisely what I said. I have a car they'd want to trade in at $130k probably and am shopping a car for $100k more they know I won't spend right now. If Franklyn really thought I'd expected an answer to my trade in value, he would have. The less painful response was no response. I considered the question answered and said as much. He's twisting my words and I chose not to respond, just block him at that point. He's just a troll. Maybe his other account isn't sullied like this, but multiple accounts here aren't supposed to be allowed. Maybe a mod will pick up on that and delete this one. Better yet, maybe they'll delete both.

As for time on my hands, yeah, it's nice. Thanks.

7. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Quoting myself for the first time, just asking again, what is it they should be doing? Not at all trying to be obtuse or beat a dead horse. I really, honestly don't know because I'm new to exotics. Clearly there's something missing these days compared to yesteryear, I accept that consensus from the more seasoned ferrari enthusiasts in the D.C. area. I'm asking the question because I simply don't know. I have another current, dumb question in 599/612 regarding the modern ferrari V12 syndrome, which isn't a term I entirely understand. I'm not averse to asking questions to get the picture. What should FOW be doing they're not now? Seriously. What should an exotic car enthusiast expect from a dealer that's outside the norm?

Actually, I'm going to go start that thread in a subscribed area. That's really the crux of my quandary and I'd love to have an answer.

8. russarch

russarch Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Alexandria, VA
    Piper, everyone on this forum is different and has different expectations about what their owner/dealership experience should be. Just because it hasn't been positive for me in the past doesn't mean that it can't be in the future and it doesn't necessarily make me 100% right either. However, based on my past experience, I don't believe my expectations are unreasonable, nor are they out of the norm for a premium dealership. However, this is something that I will resolve directly with FOW in the future, and not on a forum like this. If they're serving your needs and you're happy, that's all that important. Continued good luck!

9. wkumari

wkumari Karting

Jul 15, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Hmmm...
    When I was shopping for my 430 I went in and had a look around -- there were 2 that I was interested in. After 10 minutes or so no-one had come over to ask if I was interested, if they could help, nada. I had to ask the receptionist to please find someone for me to talk to.

Some sales guy eventually came over and gave the distinct impression that he'd rather be off drinking a latte. I asked if he knows if the one I was most interested in had had the headers replaced -- he simply shrugged. I asked if he knew if it had the stock exhaust -- shrug. The milage was not visible -- another shrug.
    For some reason I had fallen in love with one particular car, so I went back a few days later armed with a chequebook -- after waiting 10 minutes I again had to ask the receptionist to find a sales person. After another 10 I left and purchased my vehicle from a non-dealer 3 /12 hours away...

Once I had it I took it in to get checked out -- I was traveling, so my wife and a friend went over to pick it up. There was a new, poorly touched up scratch on the side (I had closeup photos of all the whole vehicle, so I know it wasn't there before the service) -- we spoke to the service manager, who said there was no way it could have happened in the shop. Eventually the GM came out to have a look -- didn't introduce himself, didn't say a word, just had a look, turned around and walked back away.

Regardless of if the scratch was existing or if they made it they could / should have offered to do something, apologized, at least introduced themselves...

10. KJM3SMG

KJM3SMG Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2006
    Loudoun County, VA
    Full Name:
    Karl - KJ
    That's pretty bad.. I'm gonna fwd this to their management

11. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I cannot say what the new FOW is, only what it is not. It is not the old FOW. Let me give you a little background.

I've been a lifelong Ferrari enthusiast. I had the matchbox cars. I built the models. I read the magazines. I gawked every time I was lucky enough to spot one of these rare and striking stallions on a public road. And until last year, dreamed of what a pleasure it must be to possess one of these cars.

Rewind to year 2000 when I was introduced to the FOW track events at Summit Point. This was back when money was still flowing and the paddock was full. The moment I drove toward the track that first time and actually HEARD what these cars sounded like driven on a proper road course--in anger--I was in heaven. The paddock was a sea of shiny red and yellow. But, despite my assumptions, the owners were not standoff-ish, materialistic snobs. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the owners of these Ferraris were genuine car enthusiasts who would talk to you like you were a bonafide member of this low-key yet exclusive club. Simply by standing at the wall adjacent to the main straight you were bound to strike up a conversation with a fellow tifosi. This friendly attitude extended to the FOW staff as well.

Over the next 7 or 8 years I would make the 2-hour pilgrimage from PA for as many of these track events as possible--just to spectate. I met some FChatters, including some who may not even know we talked. The comraderie was universal. My first ride was from a guy named Doug who owned a gorgeous 355 F1 GTS fitted with slicks. After some conversation, I simply asked him what I need to do to get a ride on the track. He went and found a helmet for me. During subsequent events I rode with Allie in his F40 (holy __!) and with Jon Kofod (FLATOUTRACING) in his 355 Challenge car (he can drive!). I talked with some heavy hitters, enjoyed lunch under the tents with the drivers and FOW staff and overall was treated like an owner of a $250K car, despite not owning one. I marked the track events on my calendar and treated them like mini-vacations. At this point I vowed to buy from FOW if I was ever forunate enough to be in the market for a Ferrari.

Unfortunately, by the time I was ready to buy, FOW had changed hands. Now there are no track events; they aren't even listed on the website under the Events section. There is no newsletter anymore; the "old" FOW website provided a free newsletter that had interesting articles about cars, maintenance, local events, etc. Ironically, the car I bought had the major service completed by FOW and the only remnant of the previous regime, Arnie, was happy to return my call over the summer when I had some detailed questions about the service.

To be fair, I never visited the "old" FOW showroom so I have no basis of comparison aside from the experiences others have typed here. Even so, I naively expected something special and reminiscent of the old days when I made my first visit to FOW a few months ago. I wondered if I would get a tour, see a supercar or two, or at least strike up a conversation with someone who seemed to have passion about these cars. Hell, I'm an owner now.

Sadly, the showroom was quite desolate and the couple of employees that I did see scurried by me quickly as if they were late for something in another part of the building. Once nice salesman did eventually stop and talk with me for a couple of minutes but, he too, seemed to need to be somewhere else. I did ask another salesman if I could go check out a 458 in the service area and he replied "sure, the door's open." So I did. Beside it a salesman with an English accent was walking around the 458 pointing out the features of it (ostensibly someone else's 458) to another man. Not wanting to interrupt anything, I politely admired the car from a slight distance for several minutes while they circled the car. I might has well have been invisible. Not even a nod of the head or eye contact. Quite deflating for seeing my first 458 in the flesh and my first trip to FOW.

Was I prepared to do business that day? Nope. But I can only imagine what it takes to engage these guys when you are truly in the market other than yelling "I want to buy THIS one!" The place, the people and its atmosphere were absolutely average. Had it not been for the handful of Ferraris on the floor it could have been any other car dealership.

Culture, energy, atmosphere, comraderie, enthusiasm, passion...whatever you want to call it seems to be a thing of the past. I doubt it will ever be the "old" FOW.

12. StanT

StanT Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2007
    Vienna, VA
    The old FOW, Allie and Friends, recognized that Ferraris are, as said before, not just hunks of metal. Ferraris are passion, racing heritage, beautiful and fun. They gave all of us their enthusiasm for the marque in too many ways to list. It was more than a dealership - they were friends. It was more than a business for them - it was their Grouppo Gardinere racing team - making fun of themselves for driving off course into the grass.

I could go on and on about what they did for the Mid-Atlantic Region of FCA and its members. I'll just leave it with what I've already posted.

13. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I think you have both pretty much nailed it. The old days were a friendly club house, today it is a straight up dealership. There is enough of the button-down take care of business attitude (even if everywhere beyond the Beltway seems to be on permanent dress down Friday) in this town, it was always nice to go to a business that realized they were selling an experiance to escape the business world for a bit. It is hard to tell if the new crew is friendly or not, they don't seem to talk to anyone except each other, and even when they do, the passion is just lacking. Maybe some of it is coming from FNA and Ferrari S.p.A. with their desire to make every dealership in the same image and style, but that still does not account for the very different attitude.

14. UStifosi

UStifosi Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Reston, VA
    So, I think we've thoroughly beaten to death the before and after stories. Overall, the expectations of a dealer rise with the price tag on the window. Unfortunately, a lot of dealers didn't get the memo. How do we go about effecting positive change from our end? Obviously, we're all invested heavily in the brand and it's to our advantage if the atmosphere/attitude/experience changed in a positive way. Is it possible? I get the point that new buyers will always beat down the doors irregardless of the situation or climate. There has to be a way to improve the situation....

15. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Is it just me, or does anyone else find it ironic and amusing that this many pages have been devoted to FoW - on a sub-forum sponsored by their direct competition (not to mention former employee!)?

Heh heh....

And to answer Piper's question more directly - it's not that the new FoW isn't doing something they're "supposed" to do, it's that they're *not* doing something which the old FoW *DID*. Very well described already by Challenge and Stan T. Those of us who were around then got really spoiled....

Glad you're happy, but I haven't been back in a couple of years. If I did, it would only be because at least Arnie's still there....

16. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    #91 WCH, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  17. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Hopefully it's been somewhat cathartic. FWIW, I'm heading down there now to give one last look around before I buy my first car elsewhere, and will probably end up having it serviced at Competizione. Has nothing to do with this thread, to be certain. Simply not a matter of loyalty, or lack thereof. It's a matter simply of realistic expectations. They sell stuff. If they don't have what I want, I can find it somewhere else. Without Redflyer around for a week, a few reasonable opinions have born out what we all knew, that FOW isn't doing anything terribly wrong today. It just ain't what it used to be. I wish I'd seen it, but at the same time, am glad that I like my local dealer. They need more stability in the service area. That's all.

I do want to thank all you seasoned ferrari enthusiasts for all your input. I really appreciated hearing from you, here and in silver.

18. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    Piper,

How was your visit to FOW? I am curious to know if FOW is eager to retain your business?

19. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Very, yes. I have the opposite problem others may have. I'm a low end lowball cellar dwelling entry level buyer. I'm not gonna pay a lot for that muffler !! Naw, Franklyn's like, get as much as you can for the 430 and let me find a 599 that works for your budget. Thing is, I'm looking to save money for a while, lower my payment, not increase it. Maybe I should sell the 430 and just stay out of the market for a while. Maybe I should keep the 430. Maybe I should get the 612. Hell, I'm yanking my own chain.

Wait, that didn't come out right.

20. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    You said you like classics....maybe you should get a 512TR (now I'm trying to live vicariously!)

21. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Can't drive a stick. Lucky me :) Only stick I've ever driven is a 7000 gallon fuel truck on national airport. Toggie wants to teach me. I think he feels I'm a project that needs fixin'. I just keep explaining that I don't need a whole new range of Ferrari models to admire and explore. A TR would be right up there, believe me. Gorgeous. Nope, I'll stick with F1's. If I get the 612, I'll have done a 360, 430 and 612 in my first 2 years of Ferrari drivin'. I kept the 360 spider less than nine months. The 430 spider I've had a year.

22. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    How about a 575m?

23. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I vote 612 and yes it is a cruiser, but it can haul 4 people comfortably and its a V12!!

24. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I do love the 612, but I think I'd wait a bit longer, should be getting close to the bottom of the depreciation curve.

25. KJM3SMG

KJM3SMG Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2006
    Loudoun County, VA
    Full Name:
    Karl - KJ
    I vote for 599 .. never really liked the spaghetti's looks lol. But what I say doesn't matter; get what you like