Ferrari of Washington

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by italiafan, Jan 3, 2012.

1. wkumari

wkumari Karting

Jul 15, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Yup, the bill was a bit extreme, but far worse (for me) was the sense of being played for a fool and my loss of love for the car.

I didn't need a new clutch / bearing -- they misdiagnosed the problem, but I ended up having to pay the labor for their mistake. If they had simply acknowledged this and offered to remove some of the labor I'd be fine.

I actually have my doubts about many of the other repairs they claim I needed. I have the "bad" variator solonoids and have been meaning to build a test jig to pressurize them with air (less viscous than oil) and switch them a few thousand times. If the pressure doesn't drop then I figure they were probably ok... Seem reasonable?

2. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Mar 16, 2003

What a hideous waste of a rare and beautiful coupe.

3. nova996

nova996 Rookie

Apr 9, 2013
    I heard Greg Miller left FoW recently. Does anyone know where he went?

4. carz80am

carz80am Karting

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    He and one of FOW's customers bought IAP Racing. I went in last week to get my track inspection and James helped me and was great.

5. Gh21631

Gh21631 Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Really? I can't believe Paul sold out already. It must be hard to make the numbers work.

6. carz80am

carz80am Karting

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    I think Paul may still be there for now. I think those models are very hard. I've seen numerous guys try something similar and it not work, you need some seriously deep pockets and years to even start breaking even.

7. Tired of seeing this ad? Upgrade now
  8. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Greg lasted a long time. Terry and Glen before him only lasted in that position about a year each. Good on him being able to buy IAP. I know the guy who started IAP, fellow named Steve. Wonder if he's still involved. Would be super surprised if IAP completely changed hands.

9. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2011
    Alexandria VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Has anyone had standard service (belts, etc.) done on their Ferrari at IAP? I heard some questionable things but, to be frank, I am unsure of the reliability of the source of my information. Curious what others' experiences are.

10. Piper

Rossa Subscribed Owner

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The only service I've had there was a few years back, they replaced shocks on my 599. My experience was excellent. I think the world of Greg Miller, and if he's still partnered with Steve, he is as stand up as they come.

That being said though, with your vintage Ferrari, unless they've picked up a vintage mechanic I would take it to competitione.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

11. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2011
    Alexandria VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks Bob, appreciated. I got a 360 six speed earlier this year and was considering them for smaller stuff as an option simply given proximity but likely will stick with Competizione. Nothing against IAP, but Fernando and Richard are excellent and why change if its not broken.

12. Piper

Rossa Subscribed Owner

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I think the young guys at FOW are pretty seasoned at this point, too. I'd have zero issue trusting them with a 360. Losing Greg Miller though is a blow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

13. carz80am

carz80am Karting

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    The main Ferrari tech at FOW is good and has been there a while. The new service guy James was great for my track inspection. Always here good things about Competizone as well.

14. Tired of seeing this ad? Upgrade now
  15. 360Doctor

360Doctor Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2007
    United States
    Full Name:
    Michael
  16. blue_book

blue_book Rookie

Apr 1, 2017
    DMV
    Apparently Greg Miller has purchased IAP's sales and service businesses, but IAP will continue with fabrication and upgrades.

17. Gh21631

Gh21631 Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Paul is still there for now leasing a bay and has use of the facility. I plan to use Greg for all my services for all cars.