Ferrari Only Concours d’Elagance - The Future | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Only Concours d’Elagance - The Future

Discussion in 'Events Discussion' started by Rossocorsa1, Jan 16, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I am not looking to defend it. It was run differently and with different motives than any I had been involved with before. Like I said, do not use it as a basis for comparison which you are still doing.

I am sorry you had a dis satisfactory experience but it really needs to be a different topic.

mechaniker likes this.
  2. mechaniker

mechaniker Formula Junior
    Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
    I understood perfectly, that you don‘t defend it. Sorry, if I implyed differently.

I try not to use it as a comparison. But it was the first and only Ferrari Concours for me so far. So, I‘m very unexperienced about this and sadly the only thing to compare personally…

3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Things were done the ITALIAN (should I say Sicilian?) way.

Marcel Massini

4. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The 70th had little to zero to do with the regular IAC/PFA standards and rules and there are "special rules and laws" in and around Maranello and Modena anyway. Get used to it.

Marcel Massini

5. wfu97

wfu97 Karting

Jul 15, 2018
    North Carolina USA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    As someone who has just recently joined this community in the last few years, I would be very interested in what is being described here. I was originally planning to be in Florida next week as a spectator, but had a business conflict come up that prevented it. Would have been my first time, but after reading through the other thread, seems I’ve missed the opportunity. Hope something comes together.

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Suggest you visit the FCA Nationals.
    Each year in a different location.

Marcel Massini

jm2, wfu97 and Texas Forever like this.
  7. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Interesting note…

Every single judge, helper, “worker”, etc. you see on the field at Cavallino is a volunteer. They don’t get paid a dime. They don’t get lodging or travel expenses either. Most don’t even get a box lunch. They are graciously there on their own accord purely out of love and enthusiasm for these fine cars. That’s what makes what is going on even worse.

I didn’t want to mention it in the other thread for fear of being blacklisted.

Does anyone know if it’s the same at Pebble or Amelia?

I can imagine how astronomical the costs of such an event would be so I think that’s one way they make it work on paper.

My favorite event other than Cavallino has always Amelia. It always has a stellar lineup yet it somehow managed to keep that small town vibe of welcoming everyone with open arms. Pebble IMO has grown to feel more snobbish. I much preferred the late Doug Freedman’s event in Carmel. The Quail was great but it apparently no longer wants someone like me there at its current price. ;)

8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    1. Ferrari Spa will do everything it can to shut down a replacement. Any event will not be able to use the word Ferrari.

2. Forget about the FCA. See above.

3. A new event will need an experienced promoter who can get sponsors to commit upfront. Hagerty? Who does Quail? Maybe Quail East?

Frankly, I don’t see this happening. Replacing Cavallino will require serious money and the ability to take the heat from Ferrari. Sometimes you have to let go. Just remember the good times.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Lusso123 likes this.
  9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #34 Nembo1777, Jan 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    Not true, I organised a big touring rally and concours event in Europe and am preparing another (not Ferrari) make it by invitation only, that way it is a private event and no bully can hassle it, not in the USA. If there is a bullying attempt make it public it will embarass the heck out of them, PR disaster for them.

Of course you invite all worthy historic Ferraris. Enough will come for a first year.

Also budget wise it's not the end of the world, you don't need a Fort Knox sized budget. The main thing you need is to reserve the hotel room block quite a few months before. Then in the participant package you factor in the costs of meals and judge hosting but keep it reasonable no obnoxious visitor ticket cost as has been the pattern in big US concours in recent years. The keys for this are a grand location, the right judges and contacts to bring forth the right cars. it's ok if the first year just has 10 or 30 cars, you need perfect execution and grow from there.

-K1-, Lusso123, Texas Forever and 2 others like this.
  10. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    get Grundy to go head to head w Hagerty

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

The ways around that are well understood.

It is my impression that is available.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I made that same point to several on the bus back to the hotel.

13. wfu97

wfu97 Karting

Jul 15, 2018
    North Carolina USA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thank you Marcel. Will definitely do that.

14. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Go for it! Call it Rendezvous after the movie.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  15. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    PLUS: You will need absolutely totally independent judges regularly applying standardized well known rules, such as the IAC/PFA ones established by the great Ed Gilbertson. THAT is key.

Marcel Massini

papou, of2worlds, Lusso123 and 3 others like this.
  16. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Hey, I’m a CPA. It’s my job to be negative!

But you will need someone experienced in doing these types of events and Sponsorship money.

17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Great idea. Competition is good.

18. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #43 Marcel Massini, Jan 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    Judges were forced and verbally attacked at the July 2021 Modena Concours because we didn't elect a local Modenese but chose an American owned Ferrari. And later on I received more than 20 telephone calls, some really rather harsh. I won't say more here but I have never experienced something similar in all these years. That definitely is not the way to do things.
    But officially everybody is happy and everybody liked that event......(according to an Italian statement in the other thread).
    No, not everbody was happy. Absolutely not. Some just don't want to listen.

The entire judging in Modena was a big mess, I felt really sorry for some of the participants.
    Organizers had no clue.

Marcel Massini

19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I am in Europe I am not proposing to organize this but if I were in the US I would certainly contribute time and advice to making it a success.
    Yes Marcel the quality of the judges would the first and crucial point, absolutely. It would have to be the ones who judge at the Cavallino classic (until 2021) or others of similar experience, excellence and neutrality.

But if the 2022 Cavallino judges resign en masse on sunday night next week and reunite with the unfairly ousted ones to declare their willingness to judge at such a future event in 2023 then there is no obstacle but it should remain a non profit event with affordable entries for owners and affordable visitor tickets for enthusiasts.

20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Unbelievable. No, I take that back. Very believable.

21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    What I meant is that the touring rally should be mandatory or that the cars that don't do it get a points deduction or at least get classified in concours judging behind below those that did it in case of tie as is the case at Pebble. Trailer queens no! If an owner is too old or scared to drive his car -not everyone is competent to drive the older ones- then get the restorer or a relative to drive it, not an issue.

22. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The Tour on Thursday before Pebble is - in my opinion - the very best moment during the entire ten day Monterey car week. For me this is always my personal highlight, much better than the actual concours on Sunday. And yes, participation in the tour can potentially be a bit of a tie breaker. The Cavallino Concours (held 1992 until 2021) never reached a similar level, therefore no such thing was needed. But yes, I like the overall idea of a great tour. Amelia Island always had a nice tour a few days before the actual Concours. Greenwich Concours as well, plus Audrain too.

Marcel Massini

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    As I understand it at Pebble it is a one point bonus. With that competition one point is the world.

Rossocorsa1 and Nembo1777 like this.
  24. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Many cars at Pebble are 100 point, zero deduction. If you have two in your class and both with 100 points but one only did the tour and the other one did not, then the case is pretty clear.

Marcel Massini

craterface, Rossocorsa1 and Nembo1777 like this.
  25. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    As one who has very recently exhibited my car in the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elagnace in August, I can confirm that no actual points are awarded for participating in the Tour, however, in the event of a needed tie-breaker, Tour participants will win out over a car that was not driven in the Tour.