Ferrari Only Concours d’Elagance - The Future | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Only Concours d’Elagance - The Future

Discussion in 'Events Discussion' started by Rossocorsa1, Jan 16, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Correct. We were typing at the same time.

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Thats pretty much how Donovani explained it.

3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes and the locations I gave as example have great twisty hill roads -and I will never say it enough good roads are half the driving pleasure whatever you drive- whereas around Palm Beach ALL of south Florida has horrible flat roads with no curves, all roads are dead straight (the southern half of Florida is dead flat as it used to be a giant reef) and so the touring rally during Cavallino never worked. I can well recall the great Japanese collector Matsuda driving towards the Palm beach polo in the western suburbs of west Palm beach in his pontoon fendered Testa Rossa (IIRC) in the middle of strip malls and urban sprawl wondering what he was doing there half way around the world from home.

Texas Forever, TTR and Jack-the-lad like this.
  4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I assume you guys are just joking !

While I am and have always been for capitalism, it’s pretty clear the whole business/corporate/for profit mentality is, has been and will continue to create the demise of many great car (enthusiast) events.
    Cavallino, Concorso Italiano, etc…. comes to mind.

Just wait until it will be prerequisite (albeit secretly) to have a Hagerty policy to receive acceptance/invitation to Amelia or Grundy policy to receive same at whatever event they might acquire or establish, etc, etc, etc…

And that’s why I initially suggested FCA Annual Events. IIRC, it’s still a nonprofit and the few Annual Events I’ve attended have been quite nice affairs with plenty of related activities, including IAC/PFA judged concours, 2-3 driving tours, track access, etc.
    Not to mention the opportunity to try achieving Coppa B.M. and Coppa GT awards, both which I consider far above anything Cavallino or even P.B. can offer.
    Plus many Regional Chapters, or at least ours, organizes numerous local driving events throughout the year or season.

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Spa controls FNA. FNA controls FCA. The FCA competing with Cavallino is not going to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    So what you’re saying, for anyone not wishing to be seen/viewed as a lapdog, tool or slave of Spa (or other corporate) dictated mandates (like me, for example), there’s really no point of attending any currently available major Ferrari events, right ?
    Fine by me. I enjoy my cars without them anyway.

OTOH, if you think there’s a way to do it differently, why not put your money were … ? ;)

7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    That's not what I'm saying.

1. Forget about the FCA, not going to happen.

2. Putting on an event the size of Cavallino is not for amateurs.

3. I have no interest. I'm just up here in the peanut gallery.

Lusso123, of2worlds, papou and 2 others like this.
  8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Not a single one of those events is non profit. In every case someone is putting money in their pocket. If not for a profit motive none would happen. The so called "For profit" mentality created them, makes them happen and keeps them happening. The ones that fail or are failing is because bad management drove them there, just like any other business, not because someone was trying to make a buck.

9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Yes, I do agree, but perhaps what I was trying to convey wasn’t adequately phrased.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with “someone trying to make a buck” with any car event, but it seems, at least from my view up here in the peanut gallery, that when good/great events reach some (high ?) point, it gets sold (good for the seller) and the new owner(s) think they can get quick ROI by introducing changes, “improvements”(?) or whatever, they often end up loosing the focus, things start to unravel and ultimately lead to diminishing the original appeal of the said event.

Based on my (limited) experience, even the judging & subsequent awarding in many has not been taken very seriously either, but having only had occasional involved with it in +/- 20 years, I can’t say if it has ever been, although I think CBM & CGT judging/awarding do rise above just general concours events where most, if not all, go home with a Platinum or something similar.
    OTOH, receiving awards seems quite important(?) part of participation for many and if none are given, many so-called car enthusiasts will not attend or come back.

10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    It’ll be (mildly) interesting to see if this public outcry is enough for a birth of (yet) another concours event with perimeters/requirements outlined by the OP.

11. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    In fairness, unlike the Cavallino Classic, we don't know what impact Hagerty's ownership of Amelia Island, Greenwich and the Detroit shows will have yet. For all we know, it may improve those shows.

Lusso123 and Texas Forever like this.
  12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If you feel that way about FCA national meet or Cavallino you have completely missed the philosophy of the judging.

13. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    With all due respect, I do believe I understand “the philosophy of the judging” (although, probably take some of rules too literally), but my field experiences have suggested some other judges may not.
    This of course doesn’t apply to Cavallino per se, since I’ve never attended.

14. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #64 TTR, Jan 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    Edit:
    With all due respect, I do (or at least like to) believe I understand “the philosophy of the judging” or most of it (although, I probably try to follow some of rules too literally), but my field experiences have suggested some judges may not (or perhaps are just comparatively too relaxed with their observations or mitigation of rulings).
    This of course doesn’t apply to Cavallino per se, since I’ve never attended nor is it IAC/PFA specific.
    And my opinions have formed from both sides of the equation, i.e. as a judge and a owner/presenter of the entered vehicle (to be judged).

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You reference CBM and CGT so I have to conclude you speak of the IAC/PFA specific events. And if you are, again you do not understand it. There are hundreds of so called concours events around the country and few similarities exist between them other than most involve cars.

It really helps if everyone is talking about the same subject.

16. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #66 TTR, Jan 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    Yes, my references were including, but not limited to IAC/PFA specific events, but it seems our experience and views of those (& other events) are likely different enough that perhaps there’s no point to continue this debate, or if you prefer, disagreement.

I have been in this hobby (vintage cars) over 40 years, provided professional restoration services full-time nearly 35 now, but if you deem my experience, understanding or viewpoints of it inadequate or -correct,…

…oh well, so be it.

17. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    The FCA is independent from FNA. FNA/SpA has no ownership, FNA has no seat in the club leadership on the Executive Committee or as a voting Regional Director.

TTR likes this.
  18. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    That’s what I thought, but maybe someone in Texas knows more than you (or I) ?

19. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

FCA annuals are indeed great events. Had a lot of fun every time i went.
    With that said i do believe there is enough space for another Ferrari only event if Cavallino is to go the way of the flashy/poser crowd/classiche only - esp since the FCA annual is US only.

• A Tour is a great idea. A lot of owners still do enjoy driving, the gastronomy etc.
    • I think limiting the field to 100 cars would be great. That way you can have plenty of space and create some sort of exclusivity each year.
    • Maybe tie the event with a Ferrari only auction before the concours or after?
    • I would also think inviting a group of kids to the event from a charity or make a wish etc would be awesome.
    • Wishful thinking and probably hard to organize now but a track day is amazing. The Shell Historics is the best car event memory i have.
    • More?

AandSC and Rifledriver like this.
  20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I never said the FNA owns FCA. What I said is the FNA controls the FCA, and it does. Do you believe Ferrari would allow the FCA to hold an event that competes with the new and improved Cavallino?

21. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The reason the Shell Historics is gone is because Ferrari killed it.

Let's face it. Ferrari is run by control freaks who don't care what you and I think.

Lusso123 likes this.
  22. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Has not stopped them from exercising control.

Texas Forever likes this.
  23. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Provide some specific examples of what control FNA exerts over the FCA, excluding the use of the round logo, the horse symbol and the long F trademark?

24. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Wanting to control and actually having control are 2 different items.

Marcel Massini likes this.
  25. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Hmm, I remember the dress code idea.