488 - Ferrari Pista vs Mclaren 720s in autobahn | Page 2 | FerrariChat

488 Ferrari Pista vs Mclaren 720s in autobahn

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by tekaefixe, Aug 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Straight line speed gets all the glory, but what happens when you have to turn the wheel.

It’s like they say, length matters but girth is more important. :D

2. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Mclaren, Ferrari and others are going to have to go 4WD for this crazy power to be utilized. Ferrari realized it and went with the F90. Mclaren will follow suit.

3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Are you sure this year? I’m being told next fall for a summer 2021 delivery.

Gh21631 likes this.
  4. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I believe this is correct.

5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I bet when dyno'd the Pista will have very similar power to the 720.

6. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    The power wars have to stop soon and the mnfrs should focus on other things to differentiate. It will get ridiculous real quick.

7. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    What is correct? Release this year or next? This year makes no sense- 2 years after the regular 720 launch?

8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I believe you are correct. The LT should be released/announced about a year from now.

SoCal to az likes this.
  9. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    ok - that is what I have heard as well. Im on the list...excited to add it to the garage along with my incoming pista. Then I think I'm done buying cars.

for now....lol

10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

I have 7 right now, I am selling 4. LMK if you want a white spider. :)

SoCal to az likes this.
  11. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Doubt it very much. I heard during the development they got 750 but dialed it back. Realistically there are so few places you can use that level of power and even then are usually best feeding it on to full throttle so traction is maintained.

12. BG23

BG23 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2015
    Australia
    #37 BG23, Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    Firstly a big thank-you to Brooks and Robert for making the video - great to see a real world comparison!

Both the pista and 720s are extremely fast cars - many would argue too fast.

The pista limits torque at lower RPM's in order to enhance the driving experience. They've also managed to make a turbo engine without lag - truly class leading. In contrast the the engine made by Riccardo for the 720s makes big power but with a decent amount of lag. A roll race when you're always in boost will hide the flaws of the Mclaren and highlight the downside of Ferrari's decision to reduce torque.

Would the ferrari be a better car with 50 more hp with more lag and full torque in all gears? IMO absolutely not. However for the purpose of a roll race it would have been.

Ultimately the test is still fascinating to see, but I'd still prefer the pista.

13. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
  14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    There is no lag in the 720. I own one- have a Pista invoking. Neutral observer and not a fan boy of any brand and I can tell you from experience there is no lag in the 720.

Ash Patel and IPO1 like this.
  15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
  16. BG23

BG23 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2015
    Australia
    Brooks states at 12:25 there is more boost lag in the 720s.

17. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I’ve driven a 720S and there is certainly lag but less than a 675LT. A GT2 RS also has lag. The most lag-less car I’ve owned is a 488 and even it still has some, albeit much less than the others. Jump into a Speciale or 812 after driving any of the above and the difference in response will be immediately obvious.

Coincid, Caeruleus11 and WM458 like this.
  18. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #43 Shadowfax, Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    In any turbo car you can invoke lag in a similar way as how an NA car will behave flooring it in too tall a gear at too low an rpm. Some turbos are harder than others to find it. No difference there in that sense. The throttle response on the 2rs and 488 is so immediate....so much power and torque on instant tap....crazy.....these 2 are just all go and no let up or delay due to lag manifesting. Sensational. If anything I would have said the 2rs feels more immediate on throttle than my 488. Probably the VTG technology doing its job. 720 definitely has lag but no where near as bad as say a 570 or 600 which are truly awful in comparison to the 720 and especially a 2rs or 488 where these two are splitting hairs in that area.....not a fair comparison to the macs really.
    Pista will be interesting but i'm only days away now from finding out what that car is all about but once i've done some run in mileage I don't foresee finding anything in the area of lag that could be claimed as being noticeable unless i of course I go right out of my way to invoke it. And I say that based on my experience with 488. With the Macs the lag becomes evident pretty quickly into the drive and you get to know you really need to stay at a particular rpm to avoid it unlike the porker and F car which you can manage like how you would with an NA.

tekaefixe likes this.
  19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    It is minimal but the Ferrari has even less.

20. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    We may have different definitions of turbo lag. For me, it’s the delay to reach the prescribed boost pressure for a given throttle angle and not the delay before the car starts to react and accelerate. All the above cars react quickly to throttle, but they all need time to build up to the target boost pressure as defined by the throttle map. Case in point, drive a GT2 RS at 4K RPM and mash the throttle. You can feel and see (on the display) the boost build to peak pressure.

21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    "The 2020 McLaren 750LT is expected to debut next spring at the Geneva Motor Show; the Spider version will likely trail its coupe counterpart by about a year."

It will probably deliver in the Fall of 2020. I wonder what they will do to command a premium. Preowned 720's are a good deal right now so spend another $200K+ on a car it will really have to be special.

WM458 likes this.
  22. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Turbo lag is expressed in the form of time delay in throttle response felt by the driver. I've never taken too much notice of the gauge and the time taken for the gauge to show full boost mainly because the car is usually accelerating so hard catapulting it toward the next corner. This of course demands eyes on road rather than boost gauge and If there was ever a need to see why the engine was not hurtling the car toward the next end in its usual mind bending fashion then maybe I would have time to look.

The superior turbo engine has been engineered to deliver its power in a manner which specifically avoids any time delay in throttle response from driver input. A delay in throttle response on a turbo engine = turbo lag.

23. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Difference between turbo lag and boost threshold:

ScrappyB and Shadowfax like this.
  24. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    But a 720 isn't a 750LT...and I have a feeling it will be special.

Let's see and I pray they limit edition, but I think we all know they probably won't. They will call it 'limited production'.

25. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Understood, but a high performance NA engine gives you near instant full power. It doesn't need to spool up to get there. Again, we're talking about different things (lag vs. threshold as the video describes).