Ferrari Portofino reviews | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Portofino reviews

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by TSOYBELIS, Feb 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The front is my biggest issue with the design. But, why wait? Life is too short (coming from someone with a quad bi-pass!).

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  2. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I’ve owned a California and now I own a 458 spider. Yes I drove each car More that 70 k miles on my Cali and more than 85k miles on my current 458 spider.

Ferrari decided to produce a softer entry level model, the California, in order to appeal to customers new to the brand. Women and also customers who traditionally bought MB SLs and the like. (I should say that I wasn’t new to the brand since I was driving a 360 when I decided to add a California.

Interestingly enough Ferrari chose the California to introduce many firsts to the brand. First folding hardtop, first V8 front mid engine placement, first engine with direct injection, first Ferrari with DCT, and first Ferrari to have touch screen navigation and infotainment system.

The 458 spider which I think is a superb car, owes some of its mojo to the California. It is clearly a better car than my 360 or California.

I’m glad Ferrari is improving the Cali/ Portofino model. I think it reflects the fact that the competition in this space has stepped up its performance game. Better performance is important to the success of all Ferrari’s.

Ferrari also realizes that many traditional customers would be more apt to buy a Portofino to ADD to their stables and not replace an F Car provided it was fast and nimble and as exciting to drive as their other Ferrari’s.

Ferrari want to sell more cars. They are too worried that a new model will canabalize another model.
    (Even though I didn’t want to want to replace my 458 spider with a Cali T., If the Portofino or it’s replacement has enough mojo, I’d reconsider and add it to my garage)

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  3. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    It’s my 3rd 458 variant and my fav so far after only 5 weeks of ownership. First car I’ve had where I’ve never looked at the miles and I just drive it everywhere. For me it’s a bad DD though as it jiggles and wiggles unlike the coupe. LA roads are terrible. As are other drivers who want to crash into the car constantly. But I have no qualms about driving and piling on miles. Same would be true if I had a Porto. I have a Performante Spider incoming and I’m curious to see how I will feel about the 458 spider once it arrives.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    For us the upgrade from our HS to a Portofino would be based on 3 major things; tiny bit more space for kids in the back, navigation/media control system update, and better look with the top up. While some may argue the upgrade from the FF to a GTC4Lusso has been worth the huge premium and its not just one thing its all of the little things combined. You have to see if that is also the case with the HS to Porto. I really want to see one in person and drive it!

5. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    You just made my point, "it's a bad daily driver". The California and Portofino are daily drivers, so it does not make sense to compare to a 458. Different cars.

6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I’m not comparing the two as I’ve never driven a Cali or Porto, just giving you feedback on the 458 spider and that I’m driving it without regard to mileage.
    I have no doubt the Cali and Porto also shimmy and jiggle and likely are limited DD in that regard also for me.

Best.

7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Well said, I will be adding a PF, because it seems like a really nice mix of attributes. It should provide nice top down motoring. One of the reviewers began by mentioning the outstanding ride quality. This was a question for me, as I am making an assumption (dangerous I know!) that Ferrari has the sport parts nailed. I expect the great engine, sound, throttle response, steering and handling. I was curious about ride quality and ability to live with the car. Will my wife be comfortable driving it sometimes? Will my children be OK in the back seat every now and then. Etc. I think some of the reviewers say- well, its a Ferrari so I am now going to drive it like I do the 812. I think that's a mistake, and to most of their credit, they point out that the car is just lovely at 6/10ths, which is basically how most of us will drive it anyway. Based on the evidence so far, I think they've done a really great job. And by the way, the sound on the videos is very good. I think this has got to be about as good as you can make a turbo car sound. I also think the slightly muffled sound, and greater torque are more in keeping with the car's GT type mission.

MalibuGuy, Traveller and uhn2000 like this.
  8. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    If you have multiple movable levers, panels of heavy glass and aluminium either just pressed together or stacked on top of each other, subjected to sudden acceleration-deceleration, bumpy road vibrations... they are bound "shimmy and jiggle". Those parts can only be made so tight, and are limited in terms of practical weights of construction. It's a bloody convertible.

Not every automotive journo is an automotive design genius.

9. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    McLaren.

Wish F would make a comparable spider.

10. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes, MAC does have very enviable CF monocoque chassis but except for track use, the excellent 488 Spider is arguably more interesting to own, and should also have a "speciale aperta" version before the new platform arrives. Lack of a fresh face is also holding the 488 back.

The MAC's use of active suspension in all their Super Series cars allows them to track faster but ruins the everyday driver's experience. That's a big reason why the 570S exists... overlaps and cannibalizes part of their Super Series market. Visually, the 720S divides opinions.

MAC doesn't offer a front-mid-engine full convertible as all their cars are impractical sports cars. So if you want a practical spider with supercar performance you have to shop elsewhere. Ferrari clearly has a much more interesting lineup, with no overlap, and also does Apertas and the odd one-off custom convertibles which keeps the Tifosi's imagination alive. IMO, Ferrari's imagination is at least partly held back by CAFE regulations preventing them from making more cars with NA engines but at least we have a healthy used market of older NA Fcars, if you're so inclined.

Maggio23 likes this.
  11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Every McLaren looks alike to me. From a distance you can't tell one from the other. I don't know how they will turn the 720s into a spider. Seems like a lot of the design has to change.

Ferrari knows with the 488 replacement it has to top it somehow. What the Portofino brings is a 2+2 that can be used everyday without sacrifice.

uhn2000, Caeruleus11 and markonex like this.
  12. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Can anyone comment on a comparison of the execution of the turbo between the Mac and Ferrari.
    I am of the opinion that Ferrari’s twin turbo is a better more satisfying package,

markonex and TheMayor like this.
  13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    My only point is Mc can do it and I wish F would follow and make a better spider. Mostly becuae F is a better marque and car and experience and so on.

14. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Ferrari has improved the aluminum platform by using complex castings which save weight, reduce components and increase stiffness and torsional rigidity. A carbon tub has its advantages but also carries disadvantages.

Larger awkward bulky side sills make ingress and egress more difficult. And with collision, carbon repairs are more expensive, more difficult not just to perform but also to source the skilled hands needed to make repairs.

IMO equally important areas for improvement are giving rear passengers more legroom and better seating and reducing weight.

Does Mac make a 2+2 hardtop convertible? It’s not fair to compare a targa coupe to a true convertible with a longer wheelbase.

Caeruleus11, TheMayor and ingegnere like this.
  15. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Suppose Mc could and it would be rock solid like the sports series.

16. JimmyChooToo

JimmyChooToo Karting

Aug 7, 2017
    McLaren can only be good for Ferrari and Ferrari owners. This competition will be great for all car enthusiasts. I think the 570 Spider is a great, not stunning, looking car. The Senna with its jet fighter canopy and see-through doors is just pretty darn cool. McLaren is learning very fast and their products are improving at an amazing rate. Lastly, McLaren certainly knows how to make a front-mid engine convertible. The Mercedes-McLaren SLR Roadster is still stunning after all these years.

dustman likes this.
  17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Thoroughly mediocre car.

I don't think that McLaren is influencing Ferrari. Ferrari does it's own thing.

18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I would not want this car to have a CF chassis. Too many restrictions in the design and getting in and out. As long as they can design the structure strong enough it's fine for a GT

But for the 488 replacement, I think they have to go CF. If they don't I think they will be highly criticized.

Caeruleus11 and red passion like this.
  19. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Ferrari can also use a hybrid CF-Aluminium design, like in the Huracan, and perhaps with refinements to make it more modular, rather than monocoque.

To be honest, I've never noticed any issues with how rigid my Cali30 feels on the road. However, I've now stiffen the springs to 991 GT3 levels so I'll see how the added stress on the frame feels when the roads are "driveable" again.

BTW, I don't have the PF's specs yet but the Cali's "GT" wheelbase is only 0.8" longer than the 488's while the F12 and 812's wheelbases are a whopping 2.7" longer.

20. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    They won't. They 've just announced a new aluminium platform.

21. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    A carbon fiber tub for a Portofino would be considerably longer than a carbon fiber tub for a Mac, Ferrari has never made a carbon fiber tub as long as what would be needed for a 2+2.

Neither has Mac or any other Marque.

It would be interesting to know the difference between the POrtofino vs, Mac interior dimensions

22. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Ferrari invested a lot of time on implementing the turbo. They tried to emulate their NA power delivery and sound, and as you’ve observed they have succeeded!

I’ve seen some people suggest that an aftermarket turbo tune can outdo the factory by producing more HP and torque. But a DYNO curve doesn’t always translate into a better driving experience, or a better sports car.

stavura and Caeruleus11 like this.
  23. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    This is pretty much the same thing as on the HS as far as I can tell. I agree that the shifting and the acceleration profile are excellent. I wonder if any of the reviewers ever drove the Cali T HS.

24. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Yes, interesting. Not glowing. Will be intriguing to see how the reviews evolve.

Any reviews to recommend of the 812s electronic steering?

"Yet overall there’s something curiously lacking in the Portofino’s dynamic repertoire. The steering in particular feels too light in any of its settings, and is therefore too distant in its feel and response. And at the same time there’s a strange absence of feel beneath your backside when cornering as well."

T

25. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    The reviews of the 812 have been uniformly complimentary regarding the EPAS .

Even Chris Harris!