Ferrari Product Line In Five Years | FerrariChat

Ferrari Product Line In Five Years

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Rossocorsa1, Jun 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Ferrari, the company and the brand, is evolving, like it or not. Given recent comments made by Marchionne at press conferences and on investor/analyst calls, it seems that in five years time the Ferrari product line will look like this:

- Supercar flagship with extremely limited extensions (LaFerrari successor)
    - Luxury GT with limited extensions (new product line, coupe and spider versions)
    - SUV (replacing the Lusso)
    - Sport GT with limited extensions (812 Superfast successor)
    - Mid-engine sports car with extensions (488 successor, coupe and spider versions)
    - Mid-range GT convertible - (Portofino successor)
    - Hopefully - a purist mid-engine sports car (raw with a gated option)

As far as engines, it would seem that there will be a mix of hybrids, possibly turbos as well as EV, though it all seems unclear at this stage.

Am I missing something? Thoughts?

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Like all manufacturers, Ferrari has been evolving since day one. However, the future of the company seems not so awesome to many.

For me, it started with the departure of Pininfarina.

3. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    I hope Ferrari quadruples production ASAP to 40k cars. I hope they sell tons of portofinos and launch cheaper and cheaper models, would really make all the ones available today classics and quick. Bring more fans into the brand.

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    It will be interesting for sure to see how the brand evolves.

5. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    as a public company now, profits and ever increasing profits are the only goal, so I fully expect more cars in the coming years, I know many dont want more cars, but that doesn't really bother me. If you have a porsche Gt2Rs you still have an amazing car even if your neighbor and his wife have a macan and boxster. Would love to see Ferrari make more cars but their dealerships arent really capable of handling much more at the moment.

6. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The FUV is a done deal, so probably the end of the traditional 2+2's, except for maybe a V12 for tradition's sake (FF/Lusso platform is due for replacement).

Portofino is the first front V8 I've ever been interested in, so that's a nice direction (Pretty too).

The 458/488 platform is coming to its end, and it will be exciting to see the next generation. Same for the F12/812 platform.

One Ferrari exec said that a retro car might be fun to do, but maybe only once or twice, so a purist's car is a possibility.

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    But only if they job production out to Toyota. Their build quality sucks with 10k cars. I can't imagine how bad it would be if they produced four times more.

8. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Marchionne did make it very clear their intention of getting back into the luxury GT category, stating Ferrari’s deep roots in that realm.

G. Pepper likes this.
  9. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    These new cars are really cool, Im not a fan of them, nor would I buy one, but my best friend wanted my 575 for a few days and gave me his F12 and it was honestly the best car I've ever driven. The styling doesn't really do it for me, but it drove so perfectly. It was just the most perfect vehicle i've ever been in. It was a bentley gt in terms of smoothness but then it didn't feel like it weighed 10,000 lbs. I absolutely loved it. Haven't driven any of the other new cars though so can't say.

I just think for anyone that has any low run ferrari you would want the brand to expand, bring on new fans bc long term it will drive the brand recognition and your cars value higher....

10. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Hope Ferrari doesn’t go the manual route again. If the Brand’s image is intent on max performance and luxury, why spend the resources developing a lower budget (I would assume) less profitable vehicle that would compete in a much busier segment against Porsche, Lotus, GM, Audi etc??? Not sure it makes economical sense..... then again I am not an accountant.

Dave rocks likes this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Ferrari was supposed to release their next 5-year plan "Early 2018"...FCA has already formally released all the plans for their brands, was wondering if anybody knows if this was postponed, or maybe I missed it.

Thanks in advance.

12. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    As far as I am concerned; I simply do not care anymore.

13. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    paulchua likes this.
  14. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    If they do, it will be probably be a retro-modern Dino or 250 GTO, as those ideas have already been floated. IOW, a special edition they could sell for a gazillion dollars each.

I'm not an accountant either, but those ideas sound like winners to me. Alas, probably out of my league... unless they revive Dino as a brand.

15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua

"Capital Market Day in the first half of September 2018"

http://corporate.ferrari.com/en/kicking-2018-another-record-quarter-way-another-great-year[/QUOTE]
    Thank you so much red passion,

King regards.

red passion likes this.
  16. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    September will be an exciting month, regardless of what you may think of the modern company. Thanks for sharing the link.

17. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    You mean just another Mustang in a mall parking lot. No thanks.

HotShoe likes this.
  18. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    40k cars doesnt make it another mustang in a mall parking lot. That is a pretty ignorant statement, Porsche sold 250k+ cars last year and those are still quite rare. Ford sells 6-7M+ cars annually to put it in perspective. Ferrari hasn't even sold 10k cars in a year, making 40,000 Ferraris over 6-8 models is not really much. My 575, they made 208 of them for the US in 2002, its nice to see Ferrari ramping production but there is still a long way to go before its anywhere near saturation. Even 20k cars is not a big deal and would be DOUBLE today's output.

19. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Ferrari is exclusive due to low production. Getting away from that is a mistake ;)

#bringbackluca

Solid State, HotShoe, stavura and 3 others like this.
  20. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I can't believe we have to wait until September now. I was expecting May or June. Very curious as to what the map forward will look like.

21. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Dave has read my mind. Agree wholeheartedly. Evolution is not always a given: some policy changes may sometimes keep up with the times, but that's not always a synonim for evolution.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

22. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Dave I respectfully disagree, look at the values placed today on classic Porsche cars and porsche is churning out 250k+ cars annually. Bringing more fans onto the brand is never a bad thing, Ferraris past is etched in stone, more cars wont change the history, today its a public company and profit is the only goal. Ferrari isn't even making 10k cars a year, doubling output to 20k a year is still 8% of what porsche makes annually. Your 355s and my 575 are legends regardless and worth infinitely more if Ferrari can get their cars into the hands of more people, more people means more enthusiasts to buy a small pool of existing classics. How many guys that own classic porsche cars today started off with a boxster? I'd imagine a few.

G. Pepper likes this.
  23. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Bingo!

There is a tipping point where the mystique of the brand will cease to exist. Once a Ferrari "sighting" becomes a regular occurrence the brand as we have known it will die. The California and Portofino are the start of the decline I'm afraid. These marketing cars are made to increase the consumer base and increase production. The downside is I can go to Mizner on any given day and see at least half a dozen of them around. They have become common. Joe Q Public would think it's a Lexus if it didn't have Ferrari badges.

The Porsche 911 is an excellent example. Yes it is an incredible car but that doesn't negate the fact that they are seemingly everywhere. In south Florida they are as common as a BMW or Mercedes. Porsche is an excellent brand but they have diluted their heritage to the point that they no longer have the cache they once had. Every single soccer mom or Boca teenager has a Macan or Cayenne. Sadly, Porsche has become invisible.

It is indeed a fine line for a company to walk. Profitability/exclusivity. IMO sweater man needs to go before he irrevocably robs Ferrari of its' soul in the quest for record profits.

sixcarbs likes this.
  24. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    #24 F355 Fan 82, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    you guys crack me up, a special car is a special car regardless of how many are made, mercedes made 2.15 million cars last year, you wanna tell me my SLR isn't still more special than a C class? My SLR draws crowds everywhere it goes and theres a mercedes everywhere you look. Even sitting next to my 575 in our condo garage, the SLR just looks special and all the neighbors ask me about it way more often than the ferrari of which there's like 25 others in this garage. I park the SLR between 3 other Ferraris as you can see in the 2nd pic, the "mercedes" is the rare one here in south beach, I run into countless Ferraris but never do I run into another SLR, Ive run into one other 722s roadster once, a white one thats it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

25. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I'm kind of saying the same thing (perhaps poorly). Your SLR is "special" but only because there are so few of them. Mercedes by and large are a dime a dozen. In a way you made my point. Would your SLR turn the same amount of heads if there were 500,000 of them? There is a reason why Mercedes initially wanted to limit total production to 3,500. Mercedes as a whole no longer has the same weight as they once did. They are now literally everywhere as is BMW.

The Porsche 918 for example is also special in this regard yet Porsche is as common as sliced white bread. One Halo car made in very low numbers does not refute the fact that a Brand as a whole is no longer special/exclusive, whatever word we choose to use, when they are mass produced like hamburgers. In this future scenario Ferrari could still have a Halo car that would be unique but the marque as a whole would suffer if there were 1 million 4-"whatevers" driving around.

Any luxury product faces this challenge. At what point does it cease to be a luxury/high end product? Is it an infinite amount? Does it end when any Joe has one? All interesting questions to consider.