Ferrari pulled over for driving 137 mph | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferrari pulled over for driving 137 mph

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rocketman, Aug 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    A chick driving a 488 above 100 mph?

That’s like climbing a rope in gym class...

daytona355 likes this.
  2. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I think it’s so cute when left lane hoggers in the US, or right lane in the UK, attempt to slow faster or more capable drivers by occupying the overtaking lanes. It’s hilarious pulling alongside them, waving, and then flooring it to show them what acceleration is really like! I’ve been known to do it to police cars as well if they are trying to reduce speeds below some arbitrary limit (although in those cases I accelerate hard to the limit and slide in front of them, then make them eat my exhaust fumes till they lose their interest in waiting for me to blast off and go in search of donuts, and once they are committed to leaving the freeway/highway/motorway, wave again and floor it. Never gets old)

Course, I’m not a physician, so they don’t recognise my importance most of the time hehehehehehehe

Jakuzzi likes this.
  3. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    Lol

paulchua likes this.
  4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #79 paulchua, Aug 28, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    Wow, that takes some cajones, I never mess with law enforcement here in the states. I give them a very wide berth.

From.what I can deduce, there are 4 types of left lane hoggers.

1) folks that are new drivers and/or not edcuated about left lane manners. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

2) Texters/callers that are not focused on the road.

3) folks that believe that as long as you are at least going the speed limit, one is never expected to yield.

4) and the worse, the folks that go slow and speed up once anybody attempts to pass going so far as trying to block the other driver from ever being 'ahead'

It's pretty simple, if you are ever in the left lane and there is no car ahead of you and there is a car behind you...you go to the right lane. It amazes me how many people don't understand this basic driving ettiquite. In fact they often get angry that the car behind them starts tailgating or flashing lights.

It's my biggest pet peeve in life.

I'm 360 Canuck, VColin and daytona355 like this.
  5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I do have one caveat, I know in certain states* - they are doing nothing legally wrong - but I still argue it is poor form.

*Alaska, Maryland, North Carolina, Ohio, South Dakota.

6. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    so does this "rule" hold true for any driver?
    if not, who gets to determine which driver gets to exercise his judgement and which have to follow the speed limit law?

7. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I didn’t say I never got the opportunity to contribute to county funds! I’ve not been arrested so far, but it’s been very close, but one good thing, when you are a Brit and exit the car, say hey and offer a foreign licence, most cops are very polite and courteous that I’ve run into, it’s almost a pleasure to get nicked! I have of course also had the ‘get outthe car, hands on your head or I’ll shoot’ type of stop too, which isn’t as pleasant!

I think what some here have missed is that any of us that might exercise a little liberal speed on occasion don’t do it in a school zone, or on roads thick with traffic, we do it in a measured and planned way, and concentrate way harder than anyone else on the road while we do it. We are not nutcases playing around and taking chances, we are adults with a reasonable level of driving skill, often in extremely well maintained and capable vehicles that have limits way above that of the average driver among us anyway... so if you manage to crash a ferrari, it’s down to bad luck, bad planning, or being a bloody lunatic, because you have to be a very competent driver to take one these days to its limits and push them

paulchua likes this.
  8. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I'vebeen faster then that on the alley

GatorFL and daytona355 like this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    well said, there are certain roads where even fast speeds are relatively safe.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Kevin Rev'n and daytona355 like this.
  10. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    In a perfect world, where we can actually enforce a complex scheme, I would recommend that we have a tiered system of licenses, tags and roads. You are only limited by the lowest rating (of the three). So, if you're driving a car with an A-grade tag, on an A-grade road and you have an A-grade license (which, you'd need to have in order to get the tag), then the driver sets the limit and is presumed to be safe unless otherwise observed to be acting in an unsafe manner (swerving in and out of traffic, etc.). Which, the presumption would still be that the driver was not unsafe (e.g. it would be on the prosecutor to establish that it was unsafe). But, if you've got an A-grade tag and are on a B-grade road, then you're limited by the B-grade to X mph. And so forth.

In the real world, it may not be practical to institute this sort of a regimen. However, the Germans have figured out the Autobahn without it being this complex. We, however, let anyone who can pass a basic written and ridiculously-easy practical exam get behind the wheel. Now, if we take the median of competency, we know that one half isn't even that competent. Do they need remedial training? Or, is there something else we need to do? Sometimes, we have to deal with problems and not ignore them. Have you ever driven in FL? It's insane. Either the loons going 100mph or the elderly who would seem to be lost driving in a straight line at 20mph. At some point, you may have to declare that proficiency isn't the ability to make everyone else on the road accommodate you. Maybe, it's about how you adjust to the flow around you. Just an idea.

Anyway, we've got WAY too many incompetent drivers on the road. The second problem is that many are distracted. The third is that enforcement is arbitrary. The fourth is that the Court system is a revenue generator. I could go on and on.

But, as I said, Germany figured it out. Why can't we?

CW

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thats actually not as safe as it looks!
    if you are moving at a rapid rate, and go over one of those little hills, you can catch air under the car and flip over. thats what happened to that guy in his enzo in utah.

Texas Forever, SAFE4NOW and paulchua like this.
  12. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    so... given the competency of the average driver on the road in US today, you think it's a good idea to allow the drivers drive at any speed he/she sees fit?
    damn the road/safety engineers and/or police?

also, pretty sure Germany has speed limits outside the Autobahn.

13. daveyator

daveyator Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2014
    Yucaipa, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    I have to add to paulchua’s excellent left lane etiquette stance. If your getting passed on the right your going to slow for your lane and need to move right.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

daytona355 and paulchua like this.
  14. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    I am just wondering how long it took the cop to catch up to the 488
    If he was stationary and she past him going at 137mph thats 12056 ft/min or 200ft/sec

15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    You're absolutely right! Those hills are very dangerous at high speed.

Here is a better one!

;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Although no road is a guarantee of course! I remember reading those 2 guys that got killed by themselves on an empty airport runway.

Jakuzzi and daytona355 like this.
  16. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    if that road had a bunch of potholes, several patches, and alternating surfaces, it would look like every road in texas ;)

17. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Pretty sure I've addressed this. I think you should go back and re-read my posts.

CW

daytona355 likes this.
  18. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    You need an old diesel for this type of activity. I've been know to do this with the wife's old MB 300D. Pull in front of someone annoying, slow down, then floor it. the MB produces huge clouds of black smoke. Very satisfying.

sid

daytona355 likes this.
  19. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

F12KID likes this.
  20. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Most funny overtakes at speed, urban terrorist cyclists in their Lycra and silly hats..... I love sneaking up on the wasters that weave all over the road, three abreast, and then wind it up to 9k and blast past them, maybe with a toot on the horn to let em know it’s me! Gives them the chilly wobbles every time hehehehehehehe

21. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Hahahah, another one bites the dust.... has the driver claimed it was on autopilot yet? Hahaha, coming in for landing, switch on the ILS...... boom.

Is it a bird, is it a plane, no, it’s the Duracell bunny in his tesla

F12KID likes this.
  22. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Looks like they fly pretty well to me. Just like I hear about piloting a plane though, it's the landing that's the hard part to survive.

23. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I think most drivers overestimate their own abilities. When is the last time a male driver, esp with a sports car ever said they weren’t a good driver? Of course, in this forum, we all really are great drivers who could give Lewis Hamilton a run for his money (sarcasm), and would never be THAT guy whos on YouTube for wrapping his car around a tree or a variety of other speed /control related single vehicle accidents.
    The only thing else we are as arrogant about is barbecuing. Every man thinks he’s the king of the grill. I’ve eaten enough tough over cooked meat or under cooked chicken at summer BBQs, to know that isn’t true either, ;)

Speed is only relatively “safe”under absolutely predictable, controlled circumstances. A public road is never 100% predictable.

iloveferrari likes this.
  24. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Mind you.... neither is the track..... ever try dodging a turtle crossing the track? Done that at Jennings in Florida.... not fun. There are lots of guys at the track that can also cause problems/unsafe situations. Had some numbnutz slow way down and go super wide right at pit entrance at Mid Ohio then dive bomb towards the apex with no speed. I had to slam on the brakes and missed him by inches.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.