Ferrari pulled over for driving 137 mph | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Ferrari pulled over for driving 137 mph

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rocketman, Aug 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

I cannot understand why anyone would want a person that wants to travel faster then them, behind them. Even if you are on cruise control.... just tickle the throttle, get out of the way and you will not be the one getting the speeding ticket.

daytona355 and paulchua like this.
  2. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    Because they take it as their personal responsibility to make sure YOU don't speed. Basically, they are bitter little people with small, insignificant little lives.

daytona355, F12KID, Makuono and 2 others like this.
  3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I hear you, friend. Or have you encountered even one level worse than this? There are certain stretches of highway that go far into the horizon where you can see clearly miles down the road. Left and right are flat plains as far as the eye can see. You're going say 80 in a 75 MPH speed limit zone. You are in the right lane and see a truck ahead, you single and safely merge into the left lane, you rapidly approach a slow car going 70 MPH. You wait a minute and they don't yield, so you signal right and proceed to pass them...

As you are passing they suddenly 'floor' the gas and actually try to not let you get around?

This has happened to me quite often, talking to friends - it seems to happen to them occasionally too.

I really do have this urge to actually get a chance and ask them civilly, what is going on in their minds?

My guess is the following

1) They really are insecure shallow folks that really think somehow that if a car passes you, they are somehow being rude to you and they feel slighted. (I wonder if they shake their hands at airplanes overhead too?)

2) They want to 'race' but are terribly ignorant of their cars capabilities, surprisingly, always with stereotypical 'slower' cars doing it. (i.e. Civic or a Van, or a Prius) -- it always ends up being a joke.

3) Folks that don't understand how the left lane works, they think that since a car to the left is passing them, they need to 'increase' their speed a bit - but still not yield.

It really becomes obvious as I said when you drive in Europe. I couldn't believe how pleasurable it was driving from Venice to Rome. The left lane is usually clear and was the standard, not the exception like here in the states. Very simple, courteous and most importantly - makes roads SAFER for all of us.

daytona355 likes this.
  4. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Yes, around Alberta it seems to happen a lot. They will not move over, but when you go to pass they floor it. You are correct, it is taking stupid to the next level. Then.... if you pass them they get all angry.

Much more enjoyable in Europe.... Switzerland is sometimes not the best. Germany and France are great. In the Pyrenees.... riding a motorcycle on backroads..... cars will pull to the right as far as possible, so you can pass them in their lane, while other cars are coming the other way...... that is the other extreme. I guess that is what happens when everyone grows up riding scooters and motorcycles.

Streetsurfer and paulchua like this.
  5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    It’s crazy right? If I don’t need to get anywhere in a hurry, I always avoid the left lane. When I do use it, I’m always scanning my rear to make sure I’m not impeding anybody faster. If I see somebody approaching quickly, I signal and let them pass.

Of course this does not apply in heavy traffic when all lanes are at full capacity.

Metastable likes this.
  6. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    There are plenty of opportunity to use your Ferrari as intended OTHER than public roads. I have 1 minor fine (60km in a 50km zone - 2nd gear...:confused:) in 16 years.
    I do track days, motorkhana, hillclimb, closed road events etc etc. I want to be as far away from the public drivers as I can when 'exercising the ponies'.

PS the OP offense here would be automatic loss of license and impounding of the car, plus massive fines. Jail time had anyone been i jured as a result (applies if 40km over the posted limit)

paulchua likes this.
  7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    This is spot on, you can get most out of the car on the track. Cars today can be not only unsafe but quite scary at or near 10/10ths.

8. My 1st

My 1st Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    Gladwyne, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Last year I got a ticket in Queensland for 60 in a 50 diving my daughter’s Honda, absolutely no one one the road in either direction. Must have hidden the speed camera in the bloody sugarcane.

daytona355 and kerrari like this.
  9. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Hahaha, I had 90mph in a stupid 30 a while ago, got a weeks ban (if I hadn’t had other cars) and once got caught at 150 on my motorcycle with mum on the back on my way home from a race AND GOT LET OFF! Brit justice is inconsistent thankfully.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app