Ferrari recalls 23,555 cars from 2005 thru now | FerrariChat

Ferrari recalls 23,555 cars from 2005 thru now

Discussion in '612/599' started by Da Butcher, Aug 4, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Online car sites reported today the Ferrari will be recalling basically all models from 2005 to 2022, except for our beloved 599 GTB/HGTE/GTO models, due to faulty brake systems! They had just recalled 10,000 vehicles in October 2021.

The earlier recall affected the 458 Italia, 458 Speciale, 458 Speciale Aperta, 458 Spider, 488 GTB, and 488 Spider. This time, the recall includes 2005-2009 F430 thru the LaFerrari's, all the way to 2020-2022 Roma.

"According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the brake fluid reservoir cap may not correctly vent. If this happens, the improper venting can cause a vacuum to occur inside the reservoir, causing a brake fluid leak that could lead to a partial or total loss of the brakes. That’s a dangerous outcome for any car." per an article on Motor1.com.

Though the 599 wasn't listed, all 2005-2011 612 Scaglietti's are included. So I'm just wondering because I thought the 612 basically has a similar architecture as the 599. Is that an oversight on Ferrari's part or does our 599's have a relatively better designed brake system?

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    will this still be a net positive for Ferrari? what % of those cars @SAFE4NOW will be given a heads up about other stuff needing attention and owners "well, since it is already in here". :D ;)

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I guess they can't just send a new cap to all the owners if they sign a waiver ?

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I sure hope that is a lousy description of the fault.

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Here it is. Typical NHTSA document with two listings of 612 and 612 Scaglietti.

Attached Files:

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  6. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know

Historically, owners that already Service with us, it becomes a quick in and out visit, with confirmation of upcoming service & repair

Owners that work outside the dealer network, let us know coming in the door, they are not interested in knowing what " other " items are needed. So, we simply create a declined line on the RO, outlining the safety items, deferred maintenance, fluid leaks, cosmetic damage, etc so its documented, and minimizes
    the " every since " club. ( I'm not saying all owners are this way, just that we cover the bases to help both sides )

Then there's the independent sellers, who we let know about the campaign, who are more than happy to let us knock it out, getting an overview of the vehicle condition for free.

Sometimes, the campaign results in additional revenue, but more importantly, it allows us ( Dealerships ) to meet owners, make a positive impression, and get a Ferrari back on the road a little safer than it was before.

Steve

SonomaRik, donv, brogenville and 2 others like this.
  7. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I'm glad the 599 group is not on the list but I don't understand why it wouldn't be.

8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    that is weird, perhaps its a Maserati part?

9. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Here's another interesting fact about recalls of Ferraris - the 599 GTB/HGTE/GTO models were never involved in the Takata faulty airbag recall campaign!

Does that mean the 599 was a better designed car with supplier components not bought through a "lowest bidder process"?

I know for a fact, due to my direct involvement, that the F1 team replaced the specially designed aerospace-type QD Coupling / Pressure Cap my engineering team specifically designed in Titanium to correct the major brake problem that caused Schumacher's first lap crash at the 1999 British Grand Prix while rounding Stowe (Schumi slammed into the tire barrier @ ~170 mph and broke his right femur in three places!). The team never experienced a repeat of that problem moving on.

Circa 2012's, they asked us to lower our price due to the oncoming FIA reduction of team budgets. Unfortunately, we couldn't respond with a competitive price since our part was custom designed in Ti and manufactured in very small batches for each season exclusively for Ferrari. So they switched to a much cheaper industrial-type QD Coupling / Cap.

Skidkid and George Vosburgh like this.
  10. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I know that the 599 uses a very different brake master and fluid reservoir to the 612. The cap looks different too I would say.

On the 599, the reservoir is basically integrated into the brake booster, whereas on the 612 it's a remote reservoir. The 599 reservoir looks very similar indeed to the one used on the Maserati Granturismo.

George Vosburgh likes this.
  11. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Actually Robin, it's the other way around. The Maserati Granturismo borrowed the 599's brake booster & reservoir. The Maserati GT Coupe model was introduced in 2007, whereas the 599 was already in production by then (introduced 2006 in EU). Selection of designs and parts normally gestates about two to three years before introduction.

Likewise, Maserati engineers were borrowing significant parts from Ferrari models, most significantly engines (as does Alfa Romeo), since they were still 50% owned by Ferrari until 2005 when the Maserati and Alfa Romeo Group were both brought into the FIAT management umbrella (now Stellantis). It's only starting this year 2022 that Maserati will wean themselves away from using Ferrari engines.

Historically, both Alfa Romeo and Maserati were much larger, family-owned corporations over a century ago, whereas Enzo was still Alfa's Driver (as one of Alfa's Four-Leaf Clover insignia), later Racing Manager during the 20's and sacked him in the 30's to take its racing stable in-house. When Enzo restarted his road/race cars in 1947, both Alfa and Maserati were still larger competitors but my, how interesting their fortunes had reversed later until today with global powerhouse Ferrari nurturing both back into existence as viable car companies. Forza Ferrari!

brogenville likes this.
  12. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I see that the recall mentions a software upgrade. I wonder if there are any other changes in the software upgrade?

I also noticed that this 612 OTO on BaT:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2008-ferrari-612-scaglietti-10/

Has a slightly different looking display setup than mine. It says "manettino COMFORT" where mine just says "COMFORT" on the display-- is that related to a software change?

13. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Maserati was THE King of Italian Cars in the 50s and early 60's - the Brothers however sold out a long time before that to the Alferi concern... who then kind of ran Maserati ok - but not great... and then it was sold to Citroen, then to DeTomaso, and has bounced around a number of owners... which just deteriorated the brand quality until Fiat - Ferrari picked them up. the sweet spot for Maserati cars is mid 50's to 62 - 63... or the current cars.... they are selling way more Maserati's than ever before.... its not a bad thing. its when they were clearly the marque to beat.... however Enzo Ferrari has the last laugh...

While the Alfa concern is one if not the oldest Italian marque. it has always been like the Ford of Italy until FIAT got them... sadly Lancia is the other marque that is really special but is just today a rebadged Chrysler product so sad.

Joe90 and Marcel Massini like this.