Ferrari restaurant- need reservations? | FerrariChat

Ferrari restaurant- need reservations?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by lukek, Jan 23, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    Do I need to make reservations at the Ferrari restaurant, the one next to the factory gates? Or is it a walk in deal for lunch and dinner?
    I am going on a business trip to Venice (posted in the euro section). The Ferrari factory is closed for tours, but I just got confirmation from my dealer that I can do a tour of Maserati's Modena new outfit. Venice to Modena is 120 miles, so I can get a rental car, or jump on the train the morning of Febrary 2nd. A factory tour, museum, and a dinner at Cavallino, and I jump back to Venice in the late evening to catch the flight back to the US on the morning of the 3rd. I think it is doable. Bologna is 40 miles away from Modena, so it might not be worth it to change outgoing city for the flight and last nights hotel....

Any advice from folks who have done the restaurant would be appreciated...

2. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    You can just walk in to the Cavalino. You should also try the Montana, which is just down the street.

If you do a little shopping....make sure that you visit Hor's Linge (down the street from the museum).........and tell Paolo.....Dino says, "Ciao"!

3. CDM

CDM Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    I was told by someone living in Venice that the best way (and cheapest) way to the Ferrari factory was to take the train to Bologna and rent a car.

4. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Call your dealer to get on the list for a factory tour

the restaurant is just walk in, I'd go for lunch, there are much nicer places in Modena for dinner

5. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Many times groups reserve the Cavallino, so it would be wise to call ahead and make sure you can get in the day you are there. Or you may be standing around for a long time.

You do need to make arrangements through your local Ferrari dealer for the official factory tour.

6. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    #6 DIGMAN52, Jan 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Tha Cavallino Restaurant sells their own brand of Balsamic vinegar, with a Ferrari Cavallino on the label. The bottle is nice but the vinegar is truly outstanding.

8. Imola2001

Imola2001 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2005
    SoCO & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mike C.
    We were able to just walk in and get a table. (F1 week in Imola, April, 2001)

9. Ronbo

Ronbo Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Morris County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Ron
    All the major car rental companies have offices either in or just outside the railway station in Bologna. The intercity trains in Italy are pretty nice, too. First class doesn't cost that much more than second and is worth it. Don't know about the dining cars - we always bring our own picnic for the train. If you have time for a meal in Bologna you probably will not be disappointed.

Have a great trip, and don't forget to enjoy Venice!

Ron

PS: Keep your eyes and hands on your luggage, especially in the station.

PPS: In most decent restaurants the daily menu is a good choice (esp. if you don't speak Italian). It's usually a good value, too.

PPPS: If you are thinking of buying higher-end art glass (Murano) or papier mache masks in Venice, PM me if you would like some ideas. We were there last April.

10. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    Thanks, guys. Unfortunately, I have already tried to book the Ferrari factory through my dealer. Factory is closed for tours in early Feb. They must be retooling for the 599. I did get a 3pm tour of the Maserati plant, which I think is also located in Modena (moved from Bologna). I plan to get on the train from Venice super early that day and just cab it from the train stattion to the factory complex. I might try to get my outgoing flight from Bologna, so I do not have to trek back. Same with hotel.
    I am going to try to squeeze in some watch shopping while in Venice. Panerai is kinda overplayed, but I like some of the new Anonimos.
    It should be my consolation prize for a potential boring (and cold) business trip....
    :)

Thanks again. I love the restaurant pics !

11. XSSSIVE

XSSSIVE Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Reno & Lake Tahoe
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    I was just there in October. We had a rental car and drove from Florence. It was about a 4 hour drive. I would recommend taking the train as others recommended, then book a driver to take you to the Ferrari factory. We had a GPS with the Euro maps. It would have been a mess trying to read maps.

Leave the stress behind and hire a driver!

12. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    We have been to Maranello many times by either renting a car at Malpensa Airport in Milan or at the airport in Bolgona (main airport). If you drive to Milan for departure to US - the Best Western Jet Hotel is the most convenient; from BLQ - there's a Sheraton very close. Bologna is much easier access especially during GP weekend but flights into there fill very quickly. In either case the drive is very easy from each location (we like the freedom to go and do as we please). If you go to Montana, dinner reservations are suggested unless you are there when they open. Never had any problems at Il Cavallino but remember restaurants are not open for dinner until 7 pm. Have fun - we're headed back in April.

Carol

13. greekss

greekss Rookie

Jan 9, 2006
    San Fran.
    Full Name:
    Constantino A.
    Agreed, you should def. stop by murano if you are in venice... its pretty cool to see them blow glass...then demonstrate how strong the glasses are.

14. CDM

CDM Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    also authored Midnight In The Garden Of Good and Evil.

Falling Angeles is about the Venice Opera house burning down in 1996.
    Berendt writes about the political intrigue determining why it burned down and the awarding of contracts to rebuild. It is a format for describing what Venice and the movers and shakers are all about.

He interviews many residents, including wealthy Americans living in Venice and starting on pg 80-89 and 326-329 he interviews Count Giovanni Volpi who is a kind of prince of Venice, (his father figured hugely in the development of Venice) owned many Ferrari race cars circa 1958-1965, and occasionally contributes to this board. He commissioned the Breadvan to be built out a 1961 SWB 250 after Enzo would not sell him the 1962 250 GTO.

The book is a perfect primer if going to visit Venice. It came out in Sept 2005 and was/is a best seller.