Ferrari ROMA | Page 149 | FerrariChat

Ferrari ROMA

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ajr550, Feb 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    What about room in the fender wells for wider wheels and tires?

2. TopspeedPT

TopspeedPT Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal
  3. 008

008 Karting

Jun 6, 2006
    Houston, TX
    We’ll need to take all the measurements and put it in CAD so we can see what’s possible.

4. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Put the rear wheels/tires on the front. Maybe add spacers. That will provide a lot of useful information about what will fit.

5. aepma

aepma Rookie

Jul 24, 2013
    Europe
    Main complaint seems to be too much dependency on the fiddly HMI.

if I remember correctly, there are physical volume controls in the back of the steering wheel. Can any Roma owner confirm?

Also, I agree with Harry that the car is too loud while idle. That would bother me more if the problem remains while crusing.

6. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    "Free" gifts... :D
    True, if you receive Ferrari gifts, you probably already payed for them!

Nicolas21 likes this.
  7. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Anybody who ordered a Roma in Rosso Corsa?

Scott Hawthorne likes this.
  8. 137677

137677 Rookie

Aug 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    Simon Morris
    Newbie question - I ordered a Roma at the end of September and paid the deposit - just before New Year I signed the final spec sheet.

on the app - I can see my car - it says wait list, the spec is loaded. When you click on the photos it says in production and photographs available shortly.

No VIN number, no Ferrari Code ( would this show where it currently says wait list?)

any idea when the app starts to change?

vcappp likes this.
  9. glennkreisel

glennkreisel Karting

Aug 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    Glenn Kreisel
    I'm about the same timeline as you! I have not seen any changes. I don't think until April you'll see a change.

10. dan129007

dan129007 Rookie

Apr 20, 2018
    Florida
    Didn’t order it, but some pics at post 3270 (page 131) on this thread. Looked good in person.

Soleith likes this.
  11. gm815

gm815 Rookie

Dec 2, 2020
    ... as a new model, does the Roma support Android Auto?

12. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Thanks.
    I just wondered how these lines would cope with the traditional red.

13. JHNurse

JHNurse Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2021
    Wyoming
    Full Name:
    Andy King
    Surprisingly no. Only Apple Car Play. The SMRT option for the Portofino isn't available on the Roma.

Andy

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. kdw0304

kdw0304 Rookie

Jan 21, 2020
    does anyone know about ferrari
    updating the center touch
    panel os program?

many review says its laggy and has slow response.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

vcappp and aepma like this.
  15. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    New Roma review from Doug DeMuro. Great explanations of the cockpit controls. Bottom line...he really likes it.

elmadi, vcappp, JHNurse and 2 others like this.
  16. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Interesting POV. “That’s not a ferrari sound” and “styling is color dependent”.
    I think it’s more the front grill is challenging on certain colors vs the rest of the car design.

vcappp and aepma like this.
  17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #3717 TheMayor, Jan 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    Some things I do like:

I like the touch screens on the steering wheel and cleaning up rarely used buttons and graphics. Clever.
    I like the buttons on the back of the wheel for volume and flashing your lights
    I like keeping the physical manetino switch. Its more than just Ferrari branding -- it works really well.
    I like that they kept the long paddles that are not attached to the wheel. This is still my preferred method.
    I like the front screen change abilities, especially putting the nav full screen. However, I wonder how good it is versus using Wase. Maybe you can put Apple car play there?
    I like they way they did the turn light switches on the steering wheel. However, it looks plastic-y.
    I like the seat controls on the center screen
    I like very much the door lock feature of just pressing the little button.
    It seems plenty, plenty fast.
    The engine bay looks 100 times better than all other current manufacturers. At least you can see an engine instead of a fake plastic Sci-fi looking engine cover.

Some things I don't like:

I think using the touch screen to start the car is a step backwards. Pretty soon a car will see your face and just start itself from your expression. Starting a Ferrari should be an event, not just a logo you touch on an app. Bad Ferrari. BAD!

The center screen is just plain ugly compared to the rest of the interior. Even the Alfa Romeo Guilia has done a better job of integrating it. Disappointing. Merc is moving to an entire front dash that is one big touch screen. I'm not saying they should have done that but this looks like an ipad glued on. I expect more.

I agree with him that they should have ditched the back seats for a bigger trunk. Even having a 2 year old back there looks like a PITA.

I think the "key" with the giant Ferrari logo is a bit of a gimmick.

I'm not sold on the rear tail light led's. The single bar vs double bar seems like someone forgot something when designing it.

The design is really attractive but looks like the next version of an Aston Martin. It doesn't seem to fit the Ferrari design ethos and i think it could have without sacrificing function. Still, its very good looking.

I would have liked to know what the actual MSRP of that car was.

Modulo_B and JHNurse like this.
  18. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    You can get the rear seat backs to fold down creating a very large trunk as an option. I selected this, around $2K I think. There was an option plate that DeMuro showed and it had minimal options. Based on my option list pricing I would guess MSRP for this car to be in the $240-250K range. Mine was $275K.
    I get that the design is polarizing because it is so different than the rest of the current models. Perhaps that's why I like it so much.

Modulo_B, RamsHmb and aepma like this.
  19. Dadr

Dadr Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Mayor your thoughts are valid and welcomed, but having lived with the car now I can make a few comments.

The haptic engine start actually is pretty cool once you use it. It gives almost a “tingle” to the thumb or finger during startup. Yes, not a physical push of a button but just as emotional and responsive and truly fits the character of the wheel as a whole.

The blinker units actually feel very solid a soft touch plastic I am sure but heavy and the way they incorporated the back of the button to also use your index finger to initiate or release the action is an improvement.

The center screen, while I agree looks like it is disconnected and not as integral as the rest of the interior I can see why they positioned it as they did. It is at a perfect ergonomic angle to rest your arm on the armrest and hand comfortably rest on the screen. If it was more sloped into the center stack the light glare would be terrible and the wrist angle of interface quite awkward in the car.

I believe the double red lines of the brakes/blinkers is just a USA thing and the actual true version the “rest of the world” likely get a 2 color banding with red lines for brakes and yellow lines for the blinkers.

The trunk isn’t huge for sure but the seats can be ordered to fold down so that helps.

I use the second plain key currently but the “special” really does feel that way at least in build and weight but I agree it is a bit ostentatious so resides in the cool key box provided with the car at delivery.

I also agree with you that the aggressive styling of Ferrari we have become accustomed to isn’t consistent with the Roma but I am glad to have an option to drive my favorite brand to work and the grocery store without the sometimes unwanted attention. I would have never dreamed of using my Pista in this manner, so in that vein I think they hit the mark.

The Roma is a car you really can live with and not just the wild ride under the bleachers haha!

The Ferrari we knew is evolving, all hail the shareholder!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vcappp, RamsHmb, SAT4RE and 4 others like this.
  20. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Exactly! I agree with your comments on the styling.

21. 008

008 Karting

Jun 6, 2006
    Houston, TX
    For those that care about the backseats, my 11 yo and 8 yo fit in the back fine with my wife and I in the front. We’re both just under 6ft and I have to move the seat forward from my ideal location but not enough to hamper driving position on a long drive. This was important to me because it’s fun to experience the car with the kids at this age.

22. JHNurse

JHNurse Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2021
    Wyoming
    Full Name:
    Andy King
    Does anyone have info on the Roma's battery tender port (style, location, etc)? I can't seem to find anything online about it. Thanks!

Andy

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    I would like to know that location also.

24. 008

008 Karting

Jun 6, 2006
    Houston, TX
    It’s an exterior magnetic attachment under the trunk lid. Car comes with the tender. Really neat setup actually.

aepma and JHNurse like this.