Ferrari ROMA | Page 49 | FerrariChat

Ferrari ROMA

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ajr550, Feb 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Nobody said you were.

I think people feel that you've not been entirely forthcoming with them and also quite brash, and that's why they are annoyed - and I agree with them. Initially your questions seemed like you were a buyer looking for info. The fact that you are not, is perfectly fine, but it would be courteous and respectful, if you had mentioned that you were simply asking out of curiosity and perhaps for future reference etc. Don't forget that people actually spend their time answering you, sometimes also spend time finding info etc, on your behalf. As an example with the seats. There might be people dropping what they are doing to help a guy out and spending 20-30 minutes measuring seats or whatever in the car, because they want to help. If you state your intent, many will still find an answer for you, but it might take some time as it's definitely not urgent.
    Then at the same time as the questions, during what is basically a conversation between multiple people, there's just random posts from you. That's a bit like being in a group of 6-8 guys debating back and forth just shootin' the bull, and then someone coming in and yelling random sentences. Nobody take issue with the fact that you think the car is beautiful, but rather than just spout random words, join the debate and bring something of value to the table.

Sorry about the derailment all. Carry on folks.

AD211 and Astrid.Didier like this.
  2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I think you miss my point entirely. Im not comparing the performance of older cars to moderns, I'm comparing the drive experience not paper stats.

If any car is "mahandled" round corners then the driver doesent know what there doing.

As to under and oversteer, drive any car at its limit and that is what youll find if you know what youre doing without nannies, a well balanced car can be played with either way.

But yes you do inadvertantly make a point I was making "Tell me with a straight face that doing 20-100 mph between mountainous hairpins at full throttle and then manhandling it through the turn is not fun.." The sheer accleration of moderns decieves to thrill, but thats mostly what they offer. .

I guess if you found the elise boring, we just have hugely different values when it comes to driving pleasure. I can see why you find modern ferraris so rewarding.
    As Striling Moss famously said, the straights are the boring bits between corners.

BarryK likes this.
  3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Ain't that the truth. One has not experienced nexk-snapping lift-off oversteer until one has experienced a 70's track prepped lightweight 911. Good times:)

Good grief. I thought they would put you in the tower for saying something like that:D

REALZEUS likes this.
  4. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    And you were very helpful, you helped me with the seat size for tall people like me, and others gave me the exact price I should pay for a used 488 too. Now I got all info and I'v to make my decision, big thanks to you!

A TDF BLU 488 in a good condition and then sell it in a couple of years for a used ROMA!

of2worlds and perrinnation like this.
  5. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    Unfortunately you will not find a 488 in Blu TdF...

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  6. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    I found but the owner doesn't want to sell, he is my neighbor though ! hh. He let me sit on it to see the seats but he doesn't want to sell at all. Now I'm searching here;
    https://preowned.ferrari.com

of2worlds likes this.
  7. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
  8. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    The new blu ROMA seems to me a lot lighter!

Attached Files:

9. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    #1209 500tr, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Much lighter in the flesh, not on a rainy day, as you can see...

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  10. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The mere fact that driving a modern car puts everything on fast forward is a thrill on its own. If commanding 600 HP on just two wheels in the twisties doesn't excite you, what does?

Which is what they had to do back in the day, because they had no other option. Nowadays you can either driver with lines, like an F1 pilot, or manhandle it. I prefer minimal motions myself. Today's telepathic steering racks allow you to keep your hands fixed at "9:15" and just guide the missile. In older cars you have to shuffle steer, while fighting under and over steer...

Isn't acceleration a thrill on its own?
    Regarding the second part of your statement, I beg to differ again. They offer grip and balance that no forebear of theirs ever did. Even the, then, sweet handling 355 is a mess compared to a 488.

I like cornering as much as any of us. The Elise though doesn't have the power to break traction at will (on good, dry tarmacadam) and thus be playful enough. As I said, that is not my thing per se, but that trait makes the car one-dimensional.

I guess that with the puny amounts of power they had in the '50s that might be true. There is joy to be found both on the straights and in the corners. One of the finest displays of the driving art is braking before a corner. Few people talk about it but it is one of the first things they teach you at all racing schools.

Good times to be a mortician... :D

With the Brexit and all no one pays attention... LOL!

of2worlds likes this.
  11. llk

llk Karting

Jan 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lewis Kasowitz
    I love the historic colors, mattes have no reason to exist......

of2worlds and gt_lusso like this.
  12. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    I had one, and I agree you had to keep the revs very high for playfulness. I solved that with an aftermarket supercharger, which allowed breaking of traction whenever you wanted it. Still miss that car sometimes, but eventually wanted something with at least a modicum of comfort...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

REALZEUS likes this.
  13. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    OK, we welcome enthusiasts, but I've rarely seen a new user express their "enthusiasm" so frequently and repetitively. :cool:

It's not necessary to respond to every contrary opinion nor to compare the Roma with every other car out there.

Also let's keep the derogatory comments out of the discussion.

Let's try a 48 hour thread ban, just to help moderate the rate of posting and give you time to contemplate a fresh approach to discussion that doesn't rub so many other users the wrong way.

randkin, slm, AD211 and 1 other person like this.
  14. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    Ferrari could still build cars with NA V8 but they just want to win "lap times war" with Mclaren.

15. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    A classic open gate stick to go with the looks that reminisce the 250 GT Lusso. That would put a Roma in my garage without hesitation - despite the lack of a natural breathing V12.

If only they would do a manual. (They won’t).

16. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    #1216 REALZEUS, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Ferraris have to remain both competitive in terms of performance AND reduce their CO2 footprint. Retaining the N/A V8 would be nigh on impossible. On top of that, lower engine capacity have tax advantages in major markets, such as China.

Alfa Romeo offers a 510 CV super saloon with a manual. The uptake is minimal. Aston launched the AMR Vantage with a manual. According to most reviews, the gearbox is a hindrance.

of2worlds and G. Pepper like this.
  17. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Don’t see any Daytona in Roma. Now the 812 has Daytona inspiration in many of its incredible forms and details. Roma reinterprets the 250 GT Lusso in a modern voice.

of2worlds and Astrid.Didier like this.
  18. gt_lusso

gt_lusso Karting

Oct 24, 2013
    Northern Europe
    A manual is just not that fun when its connected to a 600hp+ engine. It's brave that Aston still offer them, and maybe they have found their little niche in the marked. But I doubt they'll sell enough to justify a continuation of production.

R J likes this.
  19. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I agree. Modern cars are so quick that the driver needs to be 100% focused on the road. Playing around with a stick and disrupting the flow of power is just counterproductive. It's like piloting a fighter jet and having to stop and adjust the fuel mixture, like in a WW2 prop plane...

20. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    True. It is just nostalgia that drives me to want a manual. I still very much enjoy the manual change my older cars (which don’t exceed 420bhp). Couldn’t imagine a manual in my 812 - would change its razor sharpe, warp speed flash through the entire rev range capabilities into something looking to yesterday. Suspect Roma will be similarly incongruous with a manual despite inviting 250 GT Lusso references in its shapes and forms.

Will try the AMR Vantage though - but struggle with the looks. Am not struggling with the Roma’s looks (other than the very obtrusive central tunnel/waterfall dash).

REALZEUS likes this.
  21. gt_lusso

gt_lusso Karting

Oct 24, 2013
    Northern Europe
    Yes, the nostaliga is strong for me too. But my lust for a modern Ferrari with a manual is just not there. Porsche have really nailed their manual with their GT3 though. That's the only modern car with a manual I would own, and I think I will get one too. What a brilliant car. Now, excuse me for being off topic. I shall move on.

REALZEUS likes this.
  22. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    elmadi and tomc like this.
  23. gt_lusso

gt_lusso Karting

Oct 24, 2013
    Northern Europe
    I see what you mean. This is indeed something we have never seen before in a Ferrari, and therefore we're not used to it. I am personally very positive and think it's a great step forward. Looks very luxurious and cool. But I do agree that a floating dash is more timeless, with this one being in risk of not being that relevant in the upcoming years? Not so happy about the generic tilted screen though. What will the screen look like in 10 years, right? Also, for some people, this interior might be a bit claustrophobic.

24. fireplace63

fireplace63 Karting

Jun 18, 2011
    It's Blu Qao special color range. Assume to be new?

of2worlds and Astrid.Didier like this.
  25. fireplace63

fireplace63 Karting

Jun 18, 2011
    of2worlds and Garretto like this.