Ferrari ROMA | Page 76 | FerrariChat

Ferrari ROMA

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ajr550, Feb 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Well, well!
    The real world you're talking about is built on the legacy of the past, don't forget that. People that buy new Ferrari's today fell in love with the brand, or at least with its perception, in the past. Because of the gorgeous red cars they eventually saw when they were kids. When they (un)consciously heard or saw the multiple championships Schumacher was nailing with the Scuderia.
    Today Ferrari is bringing out too many different models, in too little time. Too many different design directions. And for me, truly, things have started to go down, when the collaboration with Pininfarina was stopped.
    Having a Roma in your catalogue as well as an F8, is designwise, not understandable Oh yeah, you will serve different kinds of clients, for sure. They'll all be happy. But that makes the brand weaker, fade, inconsistent. Sooner or later, a rather big part of the loyal diehards will turn their backs to Ferrari. Not exclusive, not rare, not extreme enough anymore.
    Correct, the orderbook is filled, waiting list close to 2 years. On the other hand, the SF90 is selling badly....

I am not saying the Roma is an ugly car. The lines are nice, I do hate some details though (rear lights, grill, proportions of the front part), but it isn't a real Ferrari in its core. Take off the badges, and nobody would even accept it as a Ferrari. There is definitely not the slightest design element that we could connect with other cars from the Maranello firm. There's nothing from former Ferrari glory transmitted in this Roma. That is why I am afraid Ferrari is slowly loosing its identity.
    So, I don't understand the why. Why this car, why this design? Why this unmistakable resemblance with Aston and/or Jaguar? What does Ferrari want to express by taking this "soft" turn? The whole story about the "Dolce Vita" ambiance...., if that has to convince potential buyers about the power, the beauty, or let's say the source of the car, then I am afraid, Ferrari makes a huge mistake. It is a poor, very poor sales argument.

Anyway, let this not spoil the party! Happy 2020!

IloveGT, 500tr, AD211 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    so THAT's whats been missing from all your posts.... second grills to add personality...

is the male model ever going to validate and post some driving impressions from his Aston Martin, or keep posting like he's a teenager in someone's basement?

3. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    No, I think Ferrari know what they are doing. My wife liked the Ferrari brand before but since she owns her Portofino and gets to drive a Ferrari, she is a huge supporter. She is an advocate for the brand to other women she associates with, that is what Ferrari is looking for, to broaden the customer base and sell these marque entry level cars. The more traditional cars are just going more upmarket in terms of price and performance.

Senad likes this.
  4. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Most anecdotal reports suggest otherwise.

5. 355 Giallo gtb

355 Giallo gtb Karting

Mar 14, 2015
    California
    Full Name:
    Rob p.
    anybody know the options available for the roma. its not on ferrari car configurator and i am specing one out on thursday and would like a heads up before i do

llk likes this.
  6. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Hmm ... if only there was a historical example of a high end car company expanding its portfolio beyond it’s core product and massively increasing sales and profit so they could continue to develop and sell said core product to its die hard fan base ...

And imagine then they create a version of said core vehicle that is universally regarded as spectacular, but that could not possibly be profitable, but they did so just to keep that rabid fan base alive, and all because they decided to make a *gasp* sedan and *double gasp* an SUV and holy crap the world is gonna stop spinning they made an ELECTRIC car!

People relax. But don’t for a minute think that Ferrari can continue to produce Pistas forever if they don’t produce other cars that will sell in enough quantity to fund the special stuff that YOU want. The Cayenne isn’t a “real” Porsche but you can thank it for making the GT2RS possible.

By the way Roma is beautiful and elegant and I would be proud to own one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

x z8, ferrarifanatic25, jm2 and 3 others like this.
  7. 008

008 Karting

Jun 6, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Do all of these hardcore diehards think the mondial and 308 are engineering and design icons? Many historical Ferraris are ugly and pieces of **** engineering wise. This is the silliest forum of a high end marque I’ve seen. If you don’t like it, Don’t buy one, If it doesn’t work in the long term business plan, they’ll adapt or die. An opinion is fine, and accepted but the back and forth on subjective issues is superfluous. Seems like a bunch of keyboard cowboys who can’t afford an oil change espousing on what everyone else should think. Those who can buy these cars can form their own opinion.

vcappp, ChrisDiRe, JotaEle and 6 others like this.
  8. Reynier de Pundert

Dec 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    LaZZ1986
    First post for me but the Roma is the first Ferrari I would consider (and most likely will) buy coming from a 911. Living in a city where I can only have 1 car most other Ferrari’s have never been an option and I don’t think I’ll be the only one. The Roma seems to be a car you can drive every day and still a step up from a 911 and being very elegant at the same time. I think it’ll open up quite a big new group of customers that eventually will end up buying other models as well..

9. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    Very well said, and happy new year to all of you!;);)

10. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    See post #1858 by Mr. Marcel Massini - The Information King

11. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    You need to define „not selling well“. The Lusso is not selling well and dealers had to work hard to get orders. My dealer had 14 confirmed SF90 orders the day after the launch and sold well over 20 cars . I know one other Swiss dealer with 23 orders. That is not called „not selling well“. Perhaps you don’t have the queues that Ferrari had with the TDF or the demand of the Pista but you can hardly call the car a commercial failure.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    There are other people here who also know a thing or two. At any rate, your confirmation bias is through the roof!!!

AD211, Senad and Marcel Massini like this.
  13. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    These are forums for opinion. Opinions vary.

Have a Happy New Year.

Marcel Massini likes this.
  14. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    An happy new year to everyone…..

A comparison as been made here before between the Roma’s grille and the one of the Bertone Mantide. The Mantide is a one-off two-seater from 2009 that uses the powertrain from the C6-generation Corvette ZR1. The car is designed by Jason Castriota from the company Style Bertone ( Bertone was a dissident of Pininfarina) and has a funky bodywork to say the least and has been considered by many purists the world’s ugliest Corvette.

A closer look shows the Roma’s grille is completely different from the one of the Mantide. As can be seen in the picture below the Roma’s grille is composed by perforated rectangles that are larger in the center and reduce gradually towards the left and the right sides of the grille. The Roma’s grille despite being painted in the same color of the car, has a clear edge all around. The Mantide’s grille on the other hand is a mesh of hexagons mostly of the same size, entirely perforated in the car bodywork.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

vcappp and Senad like this.
  15. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Certainly. Then there are opinions and facts.

Senad likes this.
  16. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Be interested to hear what delivery you have been quoted - 2021 ?

It doesn't look like (m)any will be 2020 given no-one on this thread has mentioned firm dates so far

17. lucasines

lucasines Karting

Apr 22, 2016
    Paris
    Full Name:
    Gilles
    vcappp, stavura, montegoblue and 4 others like this.
  18. ohno

ohno Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2009
    Haha you´ve nailed it! The Mondial is such an example for “perfect engineering and design“. And a fact is that the modern cars from Maranello are much better engineered and produced than old “icons“ like the Mondial. Pininfarina has designed great cars for Ferrari (250 GT SWB, 250 GT Lusso, 250 GTO, 275 GTB, 365 GTB/4 for example) but the Mondial is for sure not a masterpiece! These guys do not mention these cars and so they are telling us not the whole truth...

Senad and 008 like this.
  19. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    that’s Vettel 2016...

Hawkeye and 500tr like this.
  20. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    Not sure why anyone would say something like this....are you just a pissed AM owner? Hahahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    If Ferrari would act as you write, there would not have been never so many wonderful models of Ferrari. Just think about it.

22. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    of2worlds and llk like this.
  23. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    jpalmito, Senad and Astrid.Didier like this.
  24. Astrid.Didier

Nov 8, 2019
    :D:D:D

of2worlds likes this.
  25. lucasines

lucasines Karting

Apr 22, 2016
    Paris
    Full Name:
    Gilles
    355 Giallo gtb and Igor Ound like this.