Ferrari ROMA | Page 84 | FerrariChat

Ferrari ROMA

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ajr550, Feb 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 008

008 Karting

Jun 6, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Fantastic info! Have saved it for later. Thanks

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    What you basically need to know in order to get discs from Remmen, is the disc offset. I believe all cars share the same rotor size - at least so far.

The Remmen discs will also work perfectly fine with the OE pads, albeit a set of Pagid RSC1 pads will probably be better as well as cheaper. But that depends on which calipers they choose to use.

There's also this option. They will probably also make discs for the Roma if you want to go that route.
    They are plug and play, and it's 100% reversible. There is a weight penalty, but that will be difficult to feel in every day driving.
    https://www.************/Ferrari_c_8.html

of2worlds likes this.
  3. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    I think you have mixed up the person.

But as an engineer, I'm fascinated about the Roma, because it is the most efficient Ferrari in the current line-up.

4. 008

008 Karting

Jun 6, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I’ve had a bunch of experience with them in the Porsche world and it seems it’s basically the same situation which is fine considering the amount I’ll track this car. Thnx again

5. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    As an owner of both Bentley GT and Lusso, I can tell you there is NO comparison. The Lusso is head and shoulders above the GT

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

6. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I read all these “not a real Ferrari” posts and I want to laugh. First of all no one here has driven the car yet. So - like the SF90- we pass judgement on something we have not experienced and we are more than likely to eat our words in a few months. Second, the world evolves and Ferrari evolves with it. The Ferrari of today may be considered heresy by the Ferraristi of yesterday, but that doesn’t make them bad Ferraris.
    When the 488 came out we called it a bad Ferrari because it was turbocharged. Is the Pista an inferior car to the Speciale? Of course not. But show either car to a 512BB owner and they will tell you it is not a real Ferrari. Then show the BB to a 275 GTB owner and he/she will tell you the BB is not a real Ferrari. They are all wrong. All of them are real Ferraris and important cars in their own right and for the time they were built. I have owned cars from 1963 to today and I admire every step of the evolution of our favorite brand. Ferrari now make better cars than ever before, perhaps a little less emotional and more techy but then so is the world we live in

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Lunch Bag, vcappp, TizerDog and 32 others like this.
  7. Senad

Senad Formula Junior

May 14, 2019
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Sanad Alibrahim
    useful info ,
    appreciate it, thanks

8. lucasines

lucasines Karting

Apr 22, 2016
    Paris
    Full Name:
    Gilles
    +1, Thanks

9. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Wow it took 2000+ posts for some good common sense. Well said sir. The “cheapest” Ferrari is like the “ugliest” supermodel. I’m sure the reviews will be spectacular.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
  11. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    Let's have a look at Roma's boot. It differs quite much from Portofino due to missing retractable roof and its mechanism.

Portofino's boot has 20 liters more capacity. The maximum width of the boot is bigger and loading of wide items is easier due to larger door.

Roma's boot is generally lower because the rear end of the car slopes down heavily. Lower height gets compensated by absent luggage protection shelf in the center area, but the mechanism of adjustable rear spoiler eats some more space under the boot lid (not evident in the picture, see attached Roma video). However, Roma excels with much more uniform overall boot shape with generally wider load area and better extensibility. The door to interior is now almost twice as wide (full width of the folding backrests). The shelf over the rear axle appears shorter though. Not sure if it can hold as large bag as in Portofino (see better view in attached Roma video).

Roma: 272 liters, 345 liters with rear seats folded
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    https://www.motorionline.com/foto/presentazione-ferrari-roma/29/

Portofino: 292 liters (with roof on)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    https://www.parkers.co.uk/ferrari/portofino/review/practicality/

Roma video with a view to the boot:

Caeruleus11, Astrid.Didier and llk like this.
  12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Ferrari is covering more niches witht he lineup and creating variations off existing platforms, the Roma is an example of this. To me its a car with the elegance of the 456.

Is it Aston like, possibly. But the same could be said in period of the vanquish and the 550. Seeing the two side by side on london street, the aston was brutish and the ferrari posessed of a design elegance and beuty of detail the brits couldnt manage, they were very different to drive too.

Nothing wrong with having an elegant ferrari again. Within the Roma hopefully ferrari explores different niche, like a GTO version as per an earlier rendering. Right now it looks like a cool fast elegant car, la dolce Vita.

vcappp, Caeruleus11 and Senad like this.
  13. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    Guys (and gals?), I am really glad Ferrari is adapting itself to changing times. Sure they build sports cars but methinks a lot of people would like a "sports car" with the comforts we need at (my age of) 68. Their market is greying/ageing; they need to adapt and (also) build highly desirable but more comfortable cars with state of the art electronics and driving aids. Otherwise the company will not prosper. Note the word "also": keep building sports cars but also build top spec and quality SUVs, GTs and even a saloon.

Willz83, Florida Joe and Senad like this.
  14. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    I wonder if there were this much gnashing of teeth at the release of the 250 GT/E.

Senad and 355TDI like this.
  15. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    black and gold quite pretty and elegant.

your build on a dealer configurator or someone else's pics not credited?

bertdeboer340 likes this.
  16. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    real author https://www.instagram.com/ems.elli/

llk and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  17. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
  18. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Give that they chose to go with a Volvo like strip across the headlights I’m surprised that they didn’t connect each pair of rear lights with a strip that bridges the small gap between them. Would have looked way cooler.

vcappp likes this.
  19. Dadr

Dadr Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Has anyone heard when the factory cars will start making the rounds at US dealers? I am dying to see it in person. Witnessing a Ferrari in the metal always surprises me with the little details missed in photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    What is it with the configurator pics? Why do they look so ridiculous?

21. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    Regarding Autocar's somewhat critical reviews of Portofino:
    1) Standard model: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/ferrari/portofino
    2) Uk model: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/ferrari/portofino/first-drives/ferrari-portofino-2019-uk-review

Excerpt from the review 2):
    "Even on a motorway, rarely is there moment where you aren't consciously repositioning the car between the white lines, so sensitive is the steering only a degree or two off-centre. Neither does the car’s rear axle cope so deftly as the front does with the twitchy, quick-fire direction changes that steering elicits. Upping the ratio of the rack would hide the effect to an extent, but the raised mass of the roof mechanism generates a nervous oscillation that has you questioning the rear contact patch (this is nought to do with the winter tyres)."

Both reviewers complained about steering rack being too fast for a GT car and therefore not enjoyable in straight road. As far as I have understood, California T has steering lock-to-lock ratio of 2.5 turns while California HS and Portofino both have even quicker rack with 2.3 turns.

The question remains, should Ferrari go for a slower rack for Roma because they are now emphasizing the accessible GT nature of Roma?

At least they have fixed the other major complaint concerning the raised mass at the rear end. Ferrari not only removed the heavy retractable roof to reduce weight and get lower center of gravity, but they also reduced the rear end height to get the center of gravity even lower while also reducing the drag in the process.

The weight distribution (Front/Rear) is now quite different to previous models:
    California T: (47% / 53%)
    Portofino: (46% / 54 %)
    Roma: (50% / 50%)

vcappp and Senad like this.
  22. llk

llk Karting

Jan 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lewis Kasowitz
    Astrid.Didier likes this.
  23. 008

008 Karting

Jun 6, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Seems the same was said about the F12 and 812. I think Ferrari is intentionally speeding up the steering “rack” to add driver involvement in this ever desensitized automotive experience.

XDINO and Senad like this.
  24. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I have 2,000 miles on my Portofino, all kinds of roads, and I do not agree with their opinion. It is not a supremely relaxing car to drive in the manner a Bentley or even a Mercedes would be, yes that is true, because its a Ferrari! But its not difficult at all to settle into a comfortable and relaxing pace with the Portofino and munch down the miles. Its also not as hard core as a mid engine model. It is exactly what it should be. Brilliant Ferrari GT. I'm curious to see what they do with the driving dynamics on the Roma, I have a feeling they will find a way to differentiate it, but the PF drives great.