Ferrari, Sergio and the newest Ferrari can quit F1 statements | FerrariChat

Ferrari, Sergio and the newest Ferrari can quit F1 statements

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Nov 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/132816/ferrari-issues-fresh-warning-it-could-quit-f1

Ferrari has become the latest manufacturer to question Liberty Media's plans for Formula 1 by warning it is prepared to walk away from grand prix racing after 2020.

Mercedes and Renault expressed concern on Wednesday that engine proposals for 2021 would start a needless arms race that could damage F1, but Ferrari has gone a step further and said it could quit completely if it was not happy.

In a conference call with analysts on Thursday to discuss Ferrari's latest financial results, president Sergio Marchionne said he was unimpressed with certain directions that Liberty had proposed, including the future engine rules.

"Liberty has got a couple of good intentions in all of this, one of which is to reduce the cost of execution for the team, which I think is good," said Marchionne.

"[But] there are a couple of things we don't necessarily agree with.

"One is the fact that somehow powertrain uniqueness is not going to be one of the drivers of distinctiveness of the participants' line-up.

"I would not countenance this going forward.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

"The fact that we now appear to be at odds in terms of the strategic development of this thing, and we see the sport in 2021 taking on a different air, is going to force some decisions on the part of Ferrari.

"I understand that Liberty may have taken these into account in coming up with their views, but I think it needs to be absolutely clear that unless we find a set of circumstances, the results of which are beneficial to the maintenance of the brand, and the marketplace, and to the strengthening of the unique position for Ferrari, Ferrari will not play."

Under bilateral agreements, Ferrari is currently committed to F1 until the end of 2020 but anything beyond that has not been agreed.

Teams and manufacturers met with F1 chiefs and the FIA earlier this week to discuss engine proposals for 2021, and another crunch meeting is due to take place next Tuesday when the Strategy Group gathers.

At that meeting, Liberty is expected to unveil more details about wider plans for F1 including a potential budget cap, a new governance structure and an overhaul of the sporting and commercial system.

Marchionne added: "I don't want to prejudge any of this. We're walking into this meeting next Tuesday with the best of intentions, we'll see where it takes us."

Ferrari has previously made quit threats, but this is the first time in the Marchionne era that such a declaration has been made.

Marchionne suggested that walking away from F1 would be a good thing for Ferrari's shareholders.

"It would be totally beneficial to the P&L [profits and losses]," he said.

"We would be celebrating here until the cows come home.

"What I do know is that it [F1] has been part of our DNA since the day we were born.

"It's not as though we can define ourselves differently.

"But if we change the sandbox to the point where it becomes an unrecognisable sandbox, I don't want to play any more."

Marchionne added he would feel "like a million bucks" about being the chief who took Ferrari out of F1.

"I'd be working on an alternative strategy to try and replace it," he said. "A more rational one, too".

2. DF1

Appears being a publicly traded operation has a new viewpoints for the value of Ferrari in F1.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Oh just go already. You can’t even beat a drinks company.

If you’re going to constantly disappoint your fans for the next 10 years just leave.

In case you haven’t looked, the last world title you won was in 2008.

Just sayin’

4. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Le Mans anyone ?

Wouldn't that be nice to return to sports car racing ? :)

5. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I like the way you think Bob :)

If you can't beat them .... LEAVE !! :p

tifoso2728, crinoid and DF1 like this.
  6. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid

Jakuzzi likes this.
  7. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    We saw this coming. Big negotiations are no surprise.

Robb likes this.
  8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    EVEN WORSE! :)

crinoid likes this.
  9. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Standard bluster. 'Give us what we want or we will leave.'

At the end of the day, a deal will get done.

Robb, jgonzalesm6 and DeSoto like this.
  10. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Not big news really. Mercedes and Renault also showed some discontentment about Liberty´s new way of life. Quite normal: at this moment everybody is trying to get a better position in the new era.

Unless Liberty is more stupid or crazy than I think, I suppose everybody will get their share of the pie and the show will resume as usual.

11. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    The usual posturing by Ferrari. Liberty would be insane to let Ferrari leave. Again, nothing new here.

crinoid and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  12. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    They can't afford to let Ferrari leave.

On the whole I agree with the sweaterman but worried about his comments regarding it would be great for P/L for their investors....shows where his head is at!

rob lay and crinoid like this.
  13. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Whatever...but if you stay, than at least beat the crap out of those germans....

crinoid and Bas like this.
  14. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Yes, Marchionne has added his own twist to a familiar story. Still, they're not going anywhere.

Bas likes this.
  15. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    A rival series where all the owners own the series should be set up easily enough. Cut deal with Amazon for viewing. My guess is Liberty will be hurting big time. Many fans are outraged with the new proposed engine regs. My guess is it'll be the easiest rivalry set up taking an enormous amount of fans with them in one swoop. Whoops. Red Bull will be on board, which means STR. Haas, Sauber. **** get a few GP2 teams involved (easily done combining Ferrari and Red Bull spending power) and suddenly they'll have their 10 team grid.

Liberty should be very worried.

Finlander and crinoid like this.
  16. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    First a 4-wheel drive, then soon an SUV with a prancing horse ... if Ferrari leaves F1 it would be just like any other sports car marque. I don't blame them for crying foul with Nascar-like restrictions which will also open the flood gates for new 'garagistes'. Audi is leaving Le Mans to focus on Formula E; Porsche launching a Tesla-beater (which I'm on a waitlist!). The world for motor cars is changing rapidly now and translating into the racing world which is mostly on the decline in audience as Millenials are just not into this form of entertainment/hobby despite all the success of Vin Diesel with Fast and Furious!

17. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Now that's the man we need. put Vin Diesel in the cockpit and will beat the crap out of those mercs!!

18. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    That's a bit optimistic. Quoted as much slower atm....but will Tesla still be around in 2 years? That's the more important question.

rob lay likes this.
  19. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It’s hard to tell from the comments of Ferrari and renault... but are they pissed about the proposed change or any change? Reading between the lines it almost seems like they want to keep what they have now due to the investment and things starting equalize a little bit.

I have yet to hear what Ferrari really wants to have for a new PU in 2021...and I haven’t heard what Renault wants either. I hope it’s something at least approaching what the fans want and what makes sense for the series. What they’re proposing now is the exact opposite... not at all what fans want, not good for F1, not good for smaller teams, not good for insertion of new teams and engine suppliers.

20. YorkieV12

YorkieV12 Karting

May 23, 2014
    Putting a cap on team budgets ? Interesting, given the Italian lean on accountancy ! The country has been bankrupt for the last 100 years, and they're still going strong. I agree with the suggestion made about say, LeMans, and international sportscar racing. At least that is something, as fans and owners, we can Identify with, and the cars do look vaguely familiar.......and on tracks unavailable for F1 Can't believe anyone would buy a car based on who wins F1......maybe I'm wrong ?....but I wouldn't and don't.

21. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    http://www.motortrend.com/news/ferrari-threaten/

This article suggests Liberty is balking at Ferrari’s guaranteed bonus.

Look we’ve seen these comments from Ferrari before. It’s not new. However, with new owners for F1, Ferrari now a public company, and the comments from the sweater - maybe it really is different this time......

Robb and crinoid like this.
  22. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Plenty of die hard fans are loosing interest, including me in F1 the way it is going.

E60 M5 likes this.
  23. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Agreed.

While Ferrari threatening to quit is nothing new and has been used in the past as a bargaining chip with FoM... this is the first time I see sweater man admit that F1 is not in the interests of Ferrari as a public company. This is opposite of what they claimed at flotation when they chose 'RACE' as their ticker symbol.

The writing is on the wall I think. This statement seems like a shot across the bows to me in order to set the future direction of Ferrari. By bringing shareholder return into the debate, sweater man now creates a path for Ferrari to exit F1 under the justification of greater profits.

Sweater man might be bluffing again of course but shareholders are going to believe him and start asking why Ferrari is still in F1.

Bas likes this.
  24. DF1

Which is what I was thinking in the second post of this thread. Ferrari has changed ......it has a new focus along with racing.

25. DF1

They have a right, utterly to ask.