Ferrari SF90 Stradale : picture and news thread | Page 122 | FerrariChat

Ferrari SF90 Stradale : picture and news thread

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by maha, May 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    doesn't disprove @REALZEUS point, even if true. Some people don't like Targas regardless of the rigidity, or the fact they can be left on.

Even if true, at double the price, should it not perform better? If your prognostication is correct, I doubt it will perform twice as good; which answers the question of the car's purpose: ultra car area performance at a fraction of the price, I have a feeling Mcclaran and Lambo will have a better answer to that same question, as they should - they, after all, are not Ferrari - they have no choice in the matter.

2. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I didn't see it in person (Ferrari snubs the LA Auto Show) so I have a handful of questions for those who have seen it

1) what are the lines for on the rear deck? is that a hatch? Or is that a spoiler that rises at speed to add ever more downforce? If it is a spoiler is it automatic or mustbe operator deployed?

2,) Along the side door there is sculpturing maybe to move the air somewhere, but I can't see a side intake air scoop. is there one at the end of the rocker panel. just before the rear wheel cutout?

3.)Is the roof darkly tinted glass or painted black in all cars,regardless of color ordered?

4.) the range on all electric mode seems laughably smal for travelingl, or is this car a hybrid because Ferrari is anticipating laws coming that will forbid internal combustion cars from some civic areas, this the SF90 could still enter? It's an ace in the hole in other words...

3. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    It works the other way around. When more downforce is needed it dips and the air is forced through a wing-like structure behind the gap that is created by the submersion of the element. If I am not mistaken it is automatically controlled.

Nope, but there are side vents higher up.

No, it's not glass. You can have the roof painted in body colour, or black.

Something like that. Just a few miles for city driving and "cheating" on the WLTP cycle test. The hybrid system is there mainly for performance purposes, as in all supercars.

of2worlds likes this.
  4. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Thanks. i watched this lively (for a walk around) video on you tube by a British chap with the odd name of Schmee

and that answered some of my questions. There is a rear flap (they call it a Gurney flap) that rises in hard braking, cornering and on the straightaway i get the idea it is automatically deployed. It looks like the rear view is bisected by a horizontal roof spoiler, so there is a sort of over-and-under view. Mr. Sch,ee lifts the rear hatch glass and you see the gine waaay down there but come to think of it there's no luggage tray like in a Bora. Mr. Schmee also mentions the horizontal slits in the rear fenders, can't imagine they make much difference, being so small. He also gets s bit uner the car and points out the chsnneling of veticsl blades and imply those move for various purposes but without hving the car on a hoist I csn't imafine when they move and for what reason. It's alla bit like the three blind men examing a camel, guessing each part is there for...

of2worlds and elmadi like this.
  5. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Why are they still driving around cars with camo? I mean, the reveal is done. What’s the big secret??

6. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    No secret. Might be an older picture, or they might have not bothered to take the camouflage off.

SoCal to az likes this.
  7. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Perhaps the car knows it's ugly and put the camouflage back on when no one was looking.

8. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
  9. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    https://www.quattroruote.it/news/nuovi-modelli/2020/01/21/ferrari_sf90_stradale_il_capo_degli_ingegneri_michael_leiters_parla_in_esclusiva_della_nuova_supercar.html?fbclid=IwAR0bFQ_GYSCRt_yOsAtScFUz4h6RZNd8TFIQeJsBuZMAxpOywSU4ERWJNbg

Ferrari SF90 Stradale
    Chief engineer Michael Leiters speaks exclusively of the new supercar

fabio Sciarra
    Posted on 1/21/2020
    The old saying goes that in Italy we are all technical commissioners of the National team. True, mostly. But there is a piece of the country - we car enthusiasts, we would be - for which a paraphrase should be coined: we are all technical directors of Ferrari . Only one, despite ourselves, that job there does it seriously. His name is Michael Leiters and he has just designed one of the most important models in the history of the Cavallino: the SF90 Stradale , the brand's first plug-in hybrid series, before, wanting to make the venal, to roll the die and overcome the Rubicone of a thousand horses .

We had already spoken to the German engineer on the occasion of the August issue of Quattroruote, but given the relevance of the model, we went back to the topic. With a sacrosanct super-technical conversation.

Engineer Leiters, why did you decide to launch the plug-in on a super sports car and not a touring car?

Because for us the most important reason for the introduction of the rechargeable hybrid was to increase performance. The goal of making a thousand-horsepower supercar with the performance of the SF90 led us to make very precise technical choices: that of the turbocharged V8, that of electric all-wheel drive, which gives us greater driveability, greater performance, but also greater driving pleasure. With this project we have also satisfied those customers who want to move in the urban environment with zero emissions. And speaking of customers, we expected positive feedback, but I would even call it surprising.

How much does the weight increase with the electrified part of the powertrain?

In total about 270 kilograms, considering batteries, cables, inverters: the whole system. Keep in mind two aspects: one is the absolute weight, which we want to contain as much as possible. This is why we worked on architecture, inserting carbon also in structural function. The second is the Rac-e system, which for us makes the machine agile as if it weighed 220 kilograms less: in this value we have quantified the equivalent gain guaranteed by the new electronic driving dynamics control systems.

Ultimately, the Rac-e guarantees us to improve under two fundamental aspects for Ferrari: performance, because it allows us to accelerate faster, and driving pleasure, because it allows more effective phases of entering and exiting corners.

But how far is the prospect of a significant reduction in battery weight?

Not less than five to eight years. Let's say that if they were five it would already be positive. We will certainly understand the needs and requirements of customers and regulations to choose from time to time the energy content to put in a battery. Already on the SF90 we carefully chose the electric range we wanted to have: if we had aimed for 50 kilometers, twice the value we offer, we would have put on a quantity of weight that simply would not have been acceptable.

Ultimately I do not expect much lighter batteries in the coming years, but we can certainly make progress on components such as inverters, electric motors and power electronics.

Where did the idea of Gurney shut-off come from? From aerodynamics or from designers? And what advantages does it offer in terms of downforce?

The idea started from our aerodynamic department, but there is always a healthy conflict between technique and style, so our solutions must never disturb the design. The shut-off Gurney took on its form in order not to dirty the line neither in the zero position nor when it is activated. As for performance, at 250 km / h the system generates a load greater than 70 kilograms compared to a previous generation wing of ours: in total we reach 390 kilograms of downforce.

Engine: why did you increase the bore to 88 mm?

The combustion chamber is totally new for reasons of performance, but also for emissions. The most important change that led us to these new measures was the introduction of the central injector in the combustion chamber, which allowed us to also increase the operating pressure to 350 bar, from the starting 200-220. This allows us to obtain a more homogeneous and fine spray and therefore greater control over the mixture and the advance.

Where were the injectors on the F8 Tributo?

In a lateral position, in the combustion chamber. The candle was centrally located.

In addition to the direct injectors in the chamber, are there also in the intake pipes?

No, it is not a combined direct-indirect injection. Someone adopts such a system to meet Euro 6 anti-pollution regulations: instead, to comply with them, we have introduced the particulate filter in the exhaust system.

On which model did you introduce the filter?
    On the F8.

The center of gravity of the powertrain has also been lowered. What did you do to do it?

We took advantage of the new engine and the new gearbox. For example, we have moved pumps and parts of the distribution from their traditional positions, just to achieve this. On the transmission, moreover, we have for the first time on a production car a cup of dry oil, as on racing models. Having the gearbox so low, we had to redesign from scratch, strengthening them by virtue of the particular angles they generate, including the axle shafts and the axle shaft bearings.

Is the supplier of the new eight-speed always Getrag?

Yes, the same as the previous seven gears, even if it is now called Magna PT, because the company was acquired by Magna International. In terms of design I would describe it as a strong co-design between Ferrari and Magna.

Let's go back to the engine: have you further reduced the turbo lag compared to the F8?

Yes. I am sure that when you have the opportunity to test the car you will be impressed by the acceleration generated by a thousand horses, but above all by the type of immediate response that we have obtained. There are manufacturers that exceed a thousand horses, but nobody like us has a turbocharged engine that responds to the accelerator as an aspirate would do.

Sound design: will the SF90 have a different note on the exhaust than the other turbo V8s?

I must admit that getting the characteristic Ferrari sound is becoming increasingly difficult: turbo, catalyst and now also the filter are complicating the matter. But in my opinion we also succeeded on the SF90, introducing a system never adopted before. Generally the sound composers that are on the market take the vibrations from the intake and bring it close to the passenger compartment.

We do this work on the exhaust, which is much more difficult, because we are talking about combustion waste, not air. Through this tube and a membrane we bring these vibrations close to the passenger compartment and amplify them. We are not the first to adopt this solution on the exhaust, but we are the first to derive the vibrations so upstream in the system: others take note much further downstream, near the terminals, where the gas flow is colder. Our device captures the note immediately after the turbo, where the gas is still very hot: it is technically more difficult, but the vibrations are purer.

Let's move on to the electrical part: were 220 horses the maximum you could get or did you intentionally stop to reach a thousand overall?

We could do even more, but there are also limits like battery and energy absorption that limit you. For the hybrid system we have now, that was the right value. But I repeat: electric motors can do more.

To finish: why did you put a mid-engine model at the top of the super sports range?

Because it is an inherently more suitable architecture for the purpose of the SF90. But we repeat, this model does not replace the 812 Superfast, it is placed above. I don't see a contradiction: the 812 maintains all the right to remain in our super sports car range because it has a naturally aspirated V12, incredible emotionality, incredible power. So we do not replace it, but we create a new segment: the 812 costs 300 thousand euros, the SF90 will cost 430 thousand.

arhimede, Lukeylikey, kandi and 10 others like this.
  10. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I like the front of that clay model than the final one. I suppose someone at the wind tunnel decided otherwise.

Igor Ound likes this.
  11. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
  12. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Very good technical article and explains a lot about why the design decisions. Once the SF90 gets out there in the hands of Sutcliffe etc we will know if the tech decisions (for drivers not posers) live up to expectations. Personally I am really encouraged

355TDI, F142George and stavura like this.
  13. manya81

manya81 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2008
    Full Name:
    Robert
  14. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    So Leiters kind of had me right up until this part...

Sound design: will the SF90 have a different note on the exhaust than the other turbo V8s?

I must admit that getting the characteristic Ferrari sound is becoming increasingly difficult: turbo, catalyst and now also the filter are complicating the matter. But in my opinion we also succeeded on the SF90, introducing a system never adopted before. Generally the sound composers that are on the market take the vibrations from the intake and bring it close to the passenger compartment.

We do this work on the exhaust, which is much more difficult, because we are talking about combustion waste, not air. Through this tube and a membrane we bring these vibrations close to the passenger compartment and amplify them. We are not the first to adopt this solution on the exhaust, but we are the first to derive the vibrations so upstream in the system: others take note much further downstream, near the terminals, where the gas flow is colder. Our device captures the note immediately after the turbo, where the gas is still very hot: it is technically more difficult, but the vibrations are purer.

elmadi, of2worlds and Bundy like this.
  15. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Pure is a relative term. They had a choice and went with the GPF solution. The cure killed the patient...

Thecadster and ferrarifanatic25 like this.
  16. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Are there no other SF90 other than the red, yellow and grey one so far?

17. isot

isot Formula 3

May 6, 2012
    Lucca
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Maggio23 likes this.
  18. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Apart from those three and the test cars, there is that red one with Fiorano Package stuff that has been around the Far East dealers.

isot likes this.