Ferrari SF90 Stradale : picture and news thread | Page 16 | FerrariChat

Ferrari SF90 Stradale : picture and news thread

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by maha, May 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yeah the shape is very built up around the rear instead of having a lean lithe sleek design which would allow better visibility of the engine...which is virtually hidden now sadly. Its getting to the point where they may as well abandon the idea of showing the engine (as what happened with 911) and focus more on the styling.

The engine lid reminds me of the attempt made by the aftermarket to put a glass engine lid on a spider...which was a bit of a waste of time considering the result.

Astrid.Didier and of2worlds like this.
  2. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Obviously you aren’t a fan of the movie “Risky Business”...

ingegnere and of2worlds like this.
  3. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Design is waaaay to busy for my taste. Makes me appreciate my 458 Spider even more with its sexy flowing lines and screaming V8. It also makes me feel as if my 812 I ordered is a relative bargain compared to a $500k base for this car. It just screams “look at me!” I think I would feel silly driving this car.

ingegnere likes this.
  4. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Now the guessing begins...

What is esc off for this car?
    Is the steering and brake software based like new NSX?
    Will this car still need 12V battery and alternator?

5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #380 Shadowfax, May 29, 2019
    Last edited: May 29, 2019
    It's clearly a very special and bespoke model for the Ferrari range but would agree it is incredibly busy around the rear end. I'm still trying to figure out what they were looking to achieve with the rear end. Maybe there is a huge stack of batteries they need to accommodate and in doing so have struggled to provide some level of engine visibility and adequate rear view, which combined has left a visual cluster F.

It'll certainly prove to be a tough car to reverse park I imagine.

6. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    He IS heavy...my Big Brother.The road is long....

of2worlds and Shadowfax like this.
  7. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Lol! Darn it. Perhaps. What’s your first gut reaction about the design?

8. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I don’t know how anyone thinks this is an alternative to the 812. There is virtually zero space for luggage and the cab looks quite a bit smaller as well. This car will compliment the 812, not replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    No one’s thinking it’s an alternative to the 812. Think of it this way. The V12 GT range is unchanged. It was the highest price production car. The rear mid V8 line just got a promotion. They’re using the majority of their tech on it now. It’s also the most challenged in the market. It’s their most in demand and highest selling model. Now it’s price is higher than the V12 GT.

10. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I should have quoted. There was an earlier comment to that effect.

I totally agree with you and understand where it sits now in the lineup!

crinoid likes this.
  11. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Yes but "Bus Stop" was more fun! Bus stops bus goes she stays...

Shadowfax and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  12. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

I like this car alot. I also like the F8 Tributo. They both have a little bit of boxer influence in them. Much Prettier than the la Ferrari IMO

13. Monsieur Yoge

Monsieur Yoge Karting

May 20, 2016
    Rear taillights look too much like a 2019 Camaro and the front does look a little like the 2020 Supra, side is too familiar with the air scoops ala 488 and F8.

Having said that I think the interior is cool, but the car isn't unmistakably Ferrari (as it should be and used to be) or even Italian for that matter, remove the badge and it looks like a Chinese startup concept car.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #389 Shadowfax, May 29, 2019
    I was referring it as a replacement in the context where both are heavy, powerful, expensive, and not particularly good looking.

Not sure how it would add compliment to an existing 812 garage but I could be wrong as i'm not into heavy cars. That said I would agree 812 is by far the better deal with the v12 engine and less complex electronics....and luggage space! Going by the sound in the vid the SF90 is no match for 812 either....sounds a little tragic unless it's a mic issue?

15. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    These days especially now the charm of the 812 and it's melodic V12 is indeed something to be celebrated!

Caeruleus11, day355, Bundy and 2 others like this.
  16. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Ok I see where you are coming from. For myself, I really like the 812 looks and thoroughly enjoy driving it for hours on end. Probably a total waste of a fine auto, but it is a blast and with matching luggage... I don’t track, just enjoy driving around. I am anxious to hear driving impressions, but at this point, either an F8 or SP90 will share garage space if I get to spec one. Unless of course I find a used 458 that I love...

tekaefixe, Bundy and of2worlds like this.
  17. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

#392 Drive550PFB, May 29, 2019
    Lighten up, Francis. (From "Stripes")

If you are that easily offended, then you may need another venue for your posts.

People who have seen the movie "Risky Business" know that U-Boat Commander could be a self-effacing handle.

Lots of people here refer to movies, and it is not intended to be harmful.

18. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yep totally agree there. The future is not looking very bright if sF90 is a sign of the times ahead. Gone are the days of light V12 Ferrari sports cars!! Now if only they'd used the 750hp Sp1 Monza v8 atmo engine at least - desirably the v12... it would be more palatable. But the weight is a major worry....and if Ferrari is admitting 1700kgs that doesn't bode well.

of2worlds likes this.
  19. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I like a lot of the design elements and details. The surfacing is very nicely done with a LOT of attention to detail. The greenhouse is very nice and the rear deck is very original and well executed from a design point of view, but more industrial design than auto design.

And therein lies my hesitation to say it's a landmark car design. As on LaF, the purity of "form follows function" was sacrificed for graphical elements - in the case of the LaF it was the tensostruttura that forced some shapes and resulted in a very heavy looking mid section. The SF90 I think suffers from the same problem. A combination of the open-V shape of the rear deck lower cutout and the side scoop opening following in sympathy - resulting in a quasi-flying buttress, which I really hate.

The other element that is a turn off is the Portofino treatment of the lower body which besides being awkward (although less than on PF) is counterintuitive to aero principles especially as applied to racing GTs.

Overall, I think that the principles of aerodynamics were sacrificed for some original shapes that are well executed and will be adequate while slowly cruising the streets of Monte Carlo and getting a lot of attention.

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Read more about it, sounds like LaFs in light trim. I believe it..I assume perhaps official weight quoted by Ferrari includes all options (lift,hifi,etc) to stave off hungry trial lawyers.

That said it is possible(based on published figures by Ferrari’s own numbers) to have a lighter factory spec SF90 vs factory spec ‘loaded’ LaF.

21. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
  22. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Diminished sound courtesy of gasoline particulate filter on each exhaust:

SF90:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

versus Pista:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    #398 ingegnere, May 29, 2019
    Wonder if that was a criticism of the 308 back in the 70s?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The dry weight of the SF90 Stradale is 1,570kg (3,461) which is more than the curb weight of the McLaren P1 which is 1,547kg (3,411 pounds) so it will be noticeably heavier than P1. LaFerrari curb weight is generally accepted to be 1,587kb (3,500 pounds) so this car will definitely be heavier than LaFerrari as well in terms of actual weight.

More powerful, yes. Lighter no, see above.

I'd be very careful here. Car companies tend to quote the car configured with all the weight-saving options. It's quite possible when they quote the dry weight of the SF90 they're already quote it with the Asset Fiorano package. Nobody will know for sure until someone buys one and weighs it.

I don't think that's so terrible. Ferrari will find a way to use electronics and torque vectoring to mask the weight and newer compound (and sidewall strength) tires will likely help too. Everyone says the LaFerrari is crazy fun to drive and while LaF is a little lighter than this car they're in the same neighborhood weight-wise. It will still likely be lighter than a Porsche 918.

I think they'll have a winner here.

Caeruleus11 and Bundy like this.
  25. Dbops618

Dbops618 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2017
    florida
    Full Name:
    D. Hernandez
    i agree 100% looks like an alien space craft at the rear and it doesnt belong to the car