Ferrari SF90 Stradale : picture and news thread | Page 169 | FerrariChat

Ferrari SF90 Stradale : picture and news thread

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by maha, May 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Makes sense. A radial likes a freshly glued track with little or no rubber. The performance would change dramatically compared to the street.
    Do we know what tyres were used in all these tests?

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    IMHO, apart from the carbon tub there is little technical innovation where McLaren has been ahead of Ferrari. They don't have the scale and technical know-how to trump Ferrari. Even after all their claims, the P1 still had turbo lag. They stick to the more traditional formula because they can't afford to invest in all these new technologies. There is a reason why every model that McLaren produces has essentially the same engine whereas Ferrari has two engines with the V8 having two variants of its own (wet and dry sump) and is soon going to have three engines with the introduction of the V6. What McLaren has achieved in its short life is very commendable but I don't find their overall engineering expertise to be anywhere close to that of Ferrari.

Lukeylikey, carnika, TheF1BOB and 6 others like this.
  3. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
  4. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    On Pirelli P Zero - Air Temp - 50F ( 10C).
    765-

0-60 mph- 2.32 sec
    1/4 mile - 9.419 @ 150 mph.

5. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    For those who follow Harris' musings, it is clear to discern that he has undergone a seismic shift with regard to his preferences and priorities. He no longer pines over the hyper cars or those with massive power and advanced technology. He now waxes ebulient over cars that are simple in design, light in weight, useable, sensible power and a manual transmission. His latest review of the SF90 is emblematic of his new super car paradigm. While he respects the car for its innovative technological achievement and its objectve capabilities, it does not tug at his heart strings. He remarks glowingly about how refreshingly light and playful the F8 felt after his experience testing the SF90. In an earlier video, of all the Ferrari models, he chose the F430 Scuderia as the one he would pick. His new predilections extend to McLaren as well. While he was highly enamoured by the 720S and 600LT ( which he preferred over the Pista due to it feeling more alive and engaging), he was less enthused by the 765 LT, claiming it's enormous power was not useable and the car was excessively difficult to control. Due to his new standards, continue to expect glowing reviews over Porsche and especially the GT models.

hagen111, BJK and of2worlds like this.
  6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    So I sort of agree with Harris and I don't.

I don't think you can make "both" kind of super cars today. That is, a top technology car that goes unbelievably fast and something simple and classic that is easy for a driver to get the most out of on their own. In a hybrid super car -- which is where the world is going -- the computers and electric motors need each other to work properly. A human only gets in the way.

You need two different cars -- then let the consumers sort them out.

I hope Ferrari understands this in the long run.

spyderman and paulchua like this.
  7. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    It seems fairly certain that the super car manufacturers have already made the decision that the days of all ICE power plants is history. Mclaren, Lamborghini and clearly Ferrari will forthwith, be dedicated to hybrids and eventually all electric. Porsche will be the last hold out, continuing to offer a manual transmission and ICE engines at least for the forseable future.

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Once again @TheMayor shows why he's "the Mayor"

Excellent point. Couldn't agree more.

Although, the Icona cars sort of are the more 'harder core' classic cars right? Don't know, never driven a single one.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Sadly, I do think this is true. It would not surprise me if Porsche even goes faster phase-out.

When the only thing you're missing out on with electricity is sound (which is artificially created anyway) - ICE's days are numbered. But I do think not as quick as folks predict.

The big question I have for you and everyone here will ICE be similar to say grandfathered in Fireplaces, Machines Guns, Vinyl Records - where the 'never again' factor makes these commodities more valuable?

Of course, I'm not talking about a Civic (sans say a Type-R) - but will it make, say, venerable cars (such as Ferrari) - that much more coveted?

Is this all wishful thinking? Our cars destined to be glorified anachronistic lawn ornaments of a bygone era - no more desired or sought out than, say, a steam car today.

Whatever case, smoke em' if you got em'

Dela and Caeruleus11 like this.
  10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Do we know what the DA was? It takes A LOT of power to MPH like that with that ET. 10 C might suggest a low DA, perhaps even below sea.

of2worlds likes this.
  11. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Fair comments. I suspect this view may change after February 16th.

12. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Tampa, Florida- 15M above sea level. 10C is unusual . Average temp is 20C.

13. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
  14. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
  15. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
  16. jdcohenmd

jdcohenmd Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Congrats, first SF90 I have seen with painted shields, well done.

F40-R, Gcsdave and of2worlds like this.