Ferrari SF90 Stradale : picture and news thread | Page 199 | FerrariChat

Ferrari SF90 Stradale : picture and news thread

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by maha, May 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    It would appear the SF90 is a short run…. possibly to be replaced by a mid engine V12 hybrid? I have a hard time envisioning the SF90 staying as Ferrari’s flagship super car if the Aventador replacement has a mid engine V12 hybrid and carbon tub for about the same price.

red passion likes this.
  2. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Just seems like a lot of effort for the car to only make it for such a short period.

3. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I look at the SF90 as a sort of development car for their hybrid infrastructure that’ll be used on future vehicles. Their effort wouldn’t necessarily be wasted.

I do wonder if they’d be able to update the SF90 with the new V12 and retain the basic chassis, hybrid systems, interior etc. Basically adapt it to the V12 and add new sheet metal.

jpalmito and Jo Sta7 like this.
  4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Hopefully better looking sheet metal or, maybe even better, a carbon tub ;)

red passion likes this.
  5. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Boots and Jo Sta7 like this.
  6. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Doesn’t sound too plausible - mid-engined V12 hybrid with a carbon tub and the same price? And the packaging would be a problem without doing a bespoke carbon tub which inflates the price. If you could put the battery under the floor instead of behind the driver maybe SF90’s packaging dimensions could accommodate the longer engine but just doesn’t seem like they would do that unless some inside-knowledge people are saying different?

Caeruleus11, Senad and of2worlds like this.
  7. MK11

MK11 Karting

Aug 4, 2019
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    MK
    Possibly commitment to many present and future models with limited overall capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I think Ferrari will push the price. They’re looking at secondary SF90 values. Base $850 with AF $950-1mm

9. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I don’t think Ferrari will apply a carbon tub to a sub $1M series car. I have a hard time seeing Ferrari not using a newly developed, hybrid-ready V12 in their top of the range mid engine supercar. If this happens, the SF90 would become redundant which could explain why the coupe is already being phased out.

Is there consensus whether Ferrari will replace the 812 with another front engine V12? I haven’t seen any test mules yet…..

10. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I don't believe it is being phased out. I read that Ferrari stopped taking new orders for the F8 and the 812 GTS also, which would indicate production shortages, probably due to lack of microchips.

11. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I think it’s because the the F8 and 812S are being phased out next year and they have enough orders to carry them through to that date.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Some speculations ...

Could it be the SF90 name is the problem?

https://www.ferrarilakeforest.com/90-years-of-ferrari/

At the age of 10, Enzo Ferrari attended his first race, the Coppa Fiorio. He didn’t know it, but that race on September 6th, 1908, would change the automobile world forever. Just 21 years later, Scuderia Ferrari was formed as the racing arm of Alfa Romeo. While Enzo Ferrari would soon break from the Alfa Romeo racing team and start producing the vehicles we know and love, it is here, in 1929, where he laid the foundations. And that is why we’re celebrating 90 years of Ferrari, with the SF90...

So, the car's name is out of date, it is now 92 years and soon, 93, etc That's a major problem with naming cars with a year, it does not age well for production.

And, the Spiders are still rare, so perhaps they will be shifting all production to the spider, so the coupe is out (just like 812/812GTS)

and, Ferrari is no longer using 5 year production cycles, everything is abbreviated

And, according to this video, at the 10minute mark:

Ferrari was intending to make 2000 of the SF90 each production year, it really does not seem that is occurring, so, before orders dry up, they are closing the order book to "hurry along" all those unsure of ordering...

13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    My understanding is the orders for build slots for SF90 and Coupe are almost complete and expect to be complete in the next few days in the US. The wait time for coupes is approximately 2 years and spiders is supposedly even longer.

My take away- firstly, if you want one, and you can find a spot, you should order it now. Secondly, it appears production will continue for some time more- certainly another 2 years- and maybe we will then see what (if anything) comes next. 2 years from now would be Fall 2023… the SF90 was revealed to the world in Spring 2019? So that would be about 4.5 years between debuts?…….

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

14. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    This is correct, yes.
    Homologation/emission issues.

Marcel Massini

Doug23, CottonCandy, JJ77 and 4 others like this.
  15. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    My recollection is that we have a post from 2 1/2 years ago which tried to tell us the SF90 production was limited by the amount of battery sets ordered and so could only be a few years - can anyone dig it out to ascertain if I'm misremembering ?

16. JJ77

JJ77 Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2020
    From the Fiorano presentation in 2019 and what both my UK & German dealer have always told me, this was always going to be a limited run production, and that was before COVID. The figure of 2000 have always been quoted to me, so I’m guessing it’s 2000 Coupe 2000 Spider Worldwide was the plan before COVID.

17. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    There’s no doubt this is a very special car. But if Ferrari is going to be pumping new hybrid monsters out every 3-4 years, I’ll wait for the next one.

ScrappyB likes this.
  18. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
  19. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations! I'd love to learn your driving impressions/ comparisons.

of2worlds likes this.
  20. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    For sure. Will do that. Unfortunately winter is coming here in North and won't be able to test drive it for another 6 months :(

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  21. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    #4973 of2worlds, Oct 20, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    matthis, Boots, stavura and 11 others like this.
  22. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Haha

of2worlds likes this.
  23. BtvFerrari

BtvFerrari Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2020
    The Netherlands
    #4975 BtvFerrari, Oct 20, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    matthis, Boots, marko.urbac and 8 others like this.