Ferrari Sightings | Page 120 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Sightings

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by Cheetah, Feb 19, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Looks like we're growing in numbers in the area now. That's at least the 3rd McLaren owner (and 4th McLaren because I have the 650S Spider and P1 now) in the area. Nice!

I do seriously believe that McLaren's future is very bright. The P1 is a bonkers no-holds-barred race car for the road hypercar while the 12C/650S offers Ferrari 458-style (beating in my opinion) supercar. Now they're working on an a more affordable supercar (the upcoming Sports Series in the Audi R8/AMG GT/911 Turbo S price range) and there's easily room for a new halo car (as opposed to limited series like P1) offering near-P1 hybridized performance but 650S-like comfort and luxury at the F12/Aventador price range and then eventually something at the 911/AMG/BMW i8 price range. All this while adding a lot more dealerships (which will vastly improve the resale market for used McLarens) that will give them access to a much larger customer base. Their plan to sell 4,000 cars a year by the end of the decade seems easily reachable given how wonderful their cars have become in under 4 years since they launched the 12C.

2. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Time will tell.

The 12C was not a true success - they were practically giving them away recently. The 650 looks much more promising.

Also, some enthusiasts do not accept McLaren's "Brake-Steer" system over traditional Limited Slip, which allows you to recover power IF you know what your doing.

3. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    I'm surprised there isn't a McLaren dealership in Greensboro or Charlotte yet. Both cities are large, convenient to get to, and have a decent enough car scene to warrant building a location. Furthermore, I don't believe there is a McLaren dealer between Washington DC and Atlanta, which probably keeps buyers from the Carolinas away because of the day-long drives to the nearest dealership for service (or increased shipping costs).

Might not be a bad investment.

4. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I wish they had given one away to me! I bought TWO of them so I certainly considered it a success. Also - have you actually driven one? They're incredibly fun cars to drive! The 650S is a nice upgrade from the 12C but just demonstrates how great a car the 12C was to begin with. I have a 650S Spider and I love it.

From what I understand (and I'm not an expert on this) they're just different ways of doing the same thing. The idea of both is to slow the spinning wheel down to the same speed as the non-spinning wheel. The advantage of McLaren's system is reduced weight. I supposed the disadvantage might be brake wear but I've seen evidence the McLaren brakes wear any faster than the Ferrari brakes and quite frankly the 650S is more fun on track than a 458 (I own both). I also don't know how you "recover power" from this situation but the McLaren already has more power on tap than the competitors in its class so it feels like the reduced weight is the real win here.

5. raf456

raf456 Karting

Jan 27, 2013
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert Freiburghouse
    Took my 89 Mondial T coupe to my mechanic this morning and he had another one in for the engine out service. There are only 40 of these cars in the USA so what is the chance that two would be in that little shop? The owner lives 5 miles from me. You never know when you will see a rare Ferrari.

6. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    There has to be more than that?

7. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    There are lots of Ferraris in the triangle and I doubt many of their owners drive them the 3 boring highway hours (there and back) to Foreign Cars Italia for service. I just call and they send a trunk for the car when one becomes available. I don't see the point of driving 90 minutes to take my car in for service, driving 90 minutes home in a rental car (which I have to pay to rent), filling out a bunch of paperwork, and then driving 90 minutes back to pick up the car and 90 minutes home again. That's over SIX HOURS of driving a Ferrari on I-40 going nowhere interesting and taking up 3+ hours of my time on two separate days. No thanks. Ferrari service is seldom a one-day affair. I always get them to detail the car so the minimum time away is two days but usually more like 3 or 4 because they need to schedule the transport.

Same goes with McLaren Philadelphia. The advantage of owning a McLaren is that McLaren Philadelphia doesn't charge for transport whereas Foreign Cars Italia does. McLaren Philadelphia figures they wouldn't be able to sell cars in this area if they didn't provide this service so they factor it in as a cost of doing business here.

8. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ugh. I meant to say "I've NEVER seen any evidence that the McLaren brakes wear faster than the Ferrari brakes" in reference to McLaren's brake-steer vs. Ferrari's LSD. Having said that just because I haven't seen it in my cars doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

9. raf456

raf456 Karting

Jan 27, 2013
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert Freiburghouse
    I have a letter from Ferrari of North America confirming that only 43 were imported and 3 went to Canada. It was the only year that Mondial T coupes were made.

10. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    My understanding is this:

The LSD sends power to the other wheel, when wheel slippage is encountered. The amount you actually recover will depend on the quality of the LSD and the driver's skills in keeping the car planted.

With Brake Steer, there is no attempt to recover lost power from the effected wheel, with tactical braking used to minimize the slippage. The advantage is you don't need the weight, complexity, and cost of the LSD.

I've seen all kinds of debates on these two theories. The fact is we know how to make very good and reliable LSDs and some professional drivers abhor the idea of "surrendering" power that could be recovered. However, for the typical driver, McClaren's concept certainly has merit.

I'm not taking sides until I can actually drive the McClaren. I'm just pointing out that not everyone has bought into brake steer.

And, if I'm not mistaken, McLaren will use an LSD on their GT3 race car. (This may be rule requirement - not sure).

11. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Couple of recent sightings:

Saturday, Jan 17th, in Charlotte:
    -Older red Ferrari, most likely a 308 or 328, headed north on Sharon Rd at Sharon Ln at a little before 5:00. No pics, couldn't react in time.
    -White Maserati Quattroporte turned in behind Whole Foods at about 5:00.
    -Black Maserati Quattroporte (last gen) at the Palm Restaurant at 8:30.
    -Black Maserati GranTurismo Sport, wearing a New York plate, at Cafe Monte a few minutes later.

Tuesday, Jan 20th, in Charlotte:
    -Silver Fisker Karma at the Charlottetowne Ave/4th St intersection at noon.
    -Black Maserati Quattroporte on Providence Rd outside of Panera Bread at about 12:45.
    -Blue Ferrari, either a 308 or 328, at Kings Dr/Queens Rd at about 3:00. Couldn't get pics of this one either.

Friday, Jan 23rd, in Cary:
    -Black Lotus Exige pulling out of Waverly Place at 1:20. It's weird how I don't really see anything on the one nice, sunny day I'm in North Raleigh, but see stuff on a cold, rain day.

12. SebastianJ

SebastianJ Rookie

Jun 15, 2014
    There was a black Exige that showed up at C&C last Saturday. Most likely the same one. Did it have "BATMAAAN" plates?

13. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Yep it was BATMAAN all right. Brilliant plate in my opinion. I've seen it a few times at some of the car shows around here, but that was only the second time I'd seen it on the road. Sounded pretty sweet.

14. racemanryan

racemanryan Karting

Dec 3, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Ryan Taylor
    Didn't we see that one at C&C Cary Last January?

15. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    I'm not sure. I think I saw at a few of the C&C meets at Waverly, but I don't remember if it was there then.

16. racemanryan

racemanryan Karting

Dec 3, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Ryan Taylor
    Yes, it was. That was the day we saw the white F12.

17. tgeddings

tgeddings Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2010
    Redneck Riviera, SC
    Full Name:
    Tim Geddings
    That has always been my understanding.

18. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    Ok coupes for sure I misread thought you were speaking about cab t convertibles. I know there were 1010 produced if I remember correctly.

19. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    Sunday in Blakeney a black 360 spider around 3:30 pm top down of course.

20. ouzo12

ouzo12 Rookie

May 13, 2014
    Anyone know of a white aventador roadster with foreign plates? Saw it here in charlotte near southpark. Looked like middle eastern plates front and back. Maybe a customer of underground racing.

21. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Must have been this one?

Lamborghini Aventador spotted in Charlotte, North Carolina on 01/24/2015

I've heard it had Dubai plates, so I'm guessing it was just a tourist?

P.S. - Not my picture, just ran across it on that site.

22. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'm planning to bring my two McLarens (P1 and 650S Spider) to Cars and a Coffee at Raleigh Grand on February 21st. The sales manager from McLaren Philadelphia is going to come with me and likely one of their techs. So they'll be around to answer any question about the brand that people might have. They're the local dealer for North Carolina.

23. MCxDRIFTY

MCxDRIFTY Karting

Oct 8, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Matt Campbell
    Orange lotus on highway 70/Glenwood ave.

24. OUMick

OUMick Formula 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Mark,

If the weather is good, I'll come up from Myrtle Beach. I'm looking forward to seeing your cars.

25. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    #3000 PATLEW, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    Stone crest Shopping South Charlotte two tone rolls white and gray parked next to me. Owner was definitely a pro player of some sort Maybe basketball. I was going to take a photo but he seemed not to keen on the idea so I did not push. Beautiful car though huge.

PS
    It was Antwan Jamison saw him again pulling into his house