Ferrari Testarossa - Value / trends and driving impressions | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Testarossa - Value / trends and driving impressions

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by James in Denver, Feb 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gmonsen

gmonsen Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Near Bethlehem, PA
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    You couldn't be more right or express it better. When Doug talks about there being a need to find another way of expressing the appeal of a car other than 0-60 times that reflects the thrills, he gets something most people don't. Modern cars are way faster than anyone can ever use. Bursts of acceleration, maybe, but not top speeds for sure. The TR is way fast enough in absolute terms and the thrill it delivers doing it is nearly unsurpassed.

G

2. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I thought the video was good but then I knew what to expect. We used to beat up on him in the 360/430 section when he had a 360 and made a lot of videos about it but hey let's face it; any videos with our cars in them are welcome! Cheers.

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Indeed, any video is welcome imo ! Even made by this ...... :D

4. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian

Very cool. The TR was my High School dream. But I hitched a ride with my girlfriend in a VW Rabbit.

5. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    what I liked is that he got hooked when driving her. If you give in to her seduction you will be rewarded. She makes you work for it. Wouldn't have it any other way.

R

6. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Scott, I too went to PV High. Great school, had some good years there. We were going to film at PV High, but we figured that the driveway was more secluded.

7. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    LOL....the butthurt is strong with this crowd. Doug doesn't do serious reviews, just wants to inject some fun into them. Like the one guy said, it was nice to see some attention shown on the cars.

Doug has an open invite to drive my Lamborghini Diablo Roadster if he ever comes to Texas. Same with Matt Farah, another reviewer with a particular niche that is very entertaining.

OTOH, how many 22 year olds without jobs that somehow buy high end modern exotics do we need doing car "reviews"? Now we are starting to see high schoolers doing this....ugh.

8. skierlawyer

skierlawyer Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2010
    Golden, CO
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I love Doug's videos, I watch all of them. I invited him and he accepted to drive my cars this spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    That particular car sounded great but I have to admit that my desire to own a TR plunged considerably after watching that video :( And I am 50 years old

10. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    In spirit Doug's videos are fine. But he doesn't have to be an absolute dork to be entertaining. That's what I find annoying. Otherwise, his videos COULD be fun (and better) if he would just tone down the dorkyness.

11. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I sure hope the inaccurate discussion about the clutch and steering didn't sway you? Drive one then decide.

12. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    ^^^This. Definitely this.

You may decide the car is not for you, but then again you may very well love it. I wasn't a fan until I drove one.

But one thing is for certain-- you shouldn't base your opinion of the model on that particular video. Watch the Harry's Garage videos on the TR for a more insightful and mature evaluation of the car by an actual car guy.

13. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al

LoL I'm approaching 70 and have owned my TR 20+ years it still is incredibly satisfying to drive!

While I like my 430 Spider, nothing beats the sound of a flat 12 with a Tubi, test pipes and cat deletes.

The clutch is not a problem, mine lasted 30k miles, no problem.

Go take one for a long drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    If you're 50 you've drive cars that were much harder to drive than a TR. The TR is a pleasant car to drive. Drive one before you wipe it off from your list.

15. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
  16. gmonsen

gmonsen Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Near Bethlehem, PA
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Harry's video is the best there is on the Testarossa. Hands down. Harry owns pretty much all the exciting cars and based on how much he drives the Testarossa, its his favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XlPUQjmJyk

17. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    I love Doug's videos. With known love for Porsches it was a huge surprise when he chose the 512TR over the Turbo. Then to follow it up with a TR video and express the experience the way he did - dorkiness and all - was great.

I was going to offer up my TR for him to drive but you beat me to it. Sounded and looked great!

18. gmonsen

gmonsen Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Near Bethlehem, PA
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    For those who first saw the Testarossa video, and how he dwelled on what he thought were "quirks:", you should watch the original comparison video I posted where he compares the 512 with a 993TT. He still has problems with the steering and clutch, but, it's far more insightful and its fun watching him discover just how good the car is.

19. fire_n_ice

fire_n_ice Formula 3

Jun 9, 2006
    I thought Doug absolutely nailed it in that video. As I was watching I just kept thinking this is exactly why I love my Testarossa. Driving it is the ultimate escape. Well done.

p.s. the "fun at any speed" part is so true and such a rarity these days.

20. fire_n_ice

fire_n_ice Formula 3

Jun 9, 2006
    P.S. which exhaust is on the car in Doug's video? Sounds nice. Sorry if already discussed.

21. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Capristro exhaust with hyperflow cats.

It sounds perfect.

22. fire_n_ice

fire_n_ice Formula 3

Jun 9, 2006