Ferrari that has least problem and lowest maintenance cost to own? | FerrariChat

Ferrari that has least problem and lowest maintenance cost to own?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by SAU KWENG TAN, Oct 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    Hi All. I currently own a 2018 488GTB (for sale in this forum). I am looking for older model such as 348, 355, 360, 430 Scud or 458. I like the Natural Aspirated engine and I prefer manual gear. I personally like the 348/355 but was told maintenance will kill me outright. That left me with 360, 430 and 458. Unfortunately I never had a chance to listen to those exhausts.

My next preference is 430 Scud. I assume because it's Scuderia, it should sound much better than 360 and 458? I try to stay under 200K OTD so I can use some of the 488GTB money I get back to downpay on the GT3RS.

I am looking for great sounds and fun manual. Not care for 60mph in 3 seconds.

Plese asdvise.

2. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You can afford to own an 488GTB but worry about getting an older Ferrari and its associated cost of maintenance ... sounds like you're better off keeping the 488. Out of all seriousness, buy the Ferrari that you want and suck up the maintenance cost. Enjoy it while you can. :)

3. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Maintenance for value, I'd say you want a manual F430. You can find them around $160k if you look. It has the chain-driven engine so no more belts.

I love the 355 for a more analog feel with power steering, light weight and the best sound (w/Tubi exhaust), but reasonably budget $4-5k a year. Of course the odd dichotomy is that the more regularly you drive it, the less stuff breaks.

daytona355, Shamile, DrewH and 2 others like this.
  4. Automoblog

Automoblog Karting

Jun 21, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Gino
    You really can't go wrong with a manual 430 like Ryan says above. Right in your price range, a "modern" Ferrari in terms of maintenance and a fantastic car outright. There's nothing like a Scuderia if you go down that route, though. You won't get the most pristine example under 200k, but you will definitely get a sorted Scuderia for $180k right now as far as I know.

daytona355, paulchua and greg328 like this.
  5. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    From that list, my choice would be a SCUD

6. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    This

Sent from my 16M

7. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    A low maintenance Ferrari? Hmmm......:cool:

daveyator and paulchua like this.
  8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Sau Kweng Tan,

Considering the 488 you got cost you cost you $50-$100 per mile during your brief 400 mile stewardship, I would argue the 430 or 355 both should be much cheaper then that burn rate.

Also a reminder the scud and 458 are not manual, as per your requirements.

So a 6 speed 430 or 355 should be the ticket. The key is to get a qualified full PPI and full service history. A detailed frame and paint inspection is also imperative.

Also i noticed in your advert you mentioned the car was never tracked. Yet I recall you specifically saying you bought the 488 to track and asked for some advice here for what would be a good spoiler as well as body kits to improve performance?

Did the situation change?

Cheers

9. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    Yup. Things changed. I thought I would get the 488GTB and drive the hell of it. I forced myself into the league that I do not belongI It's a burden just exactly like what Doug DeMuro's youtube video. Not everyone who can afford ultra luxury stuffs can truly afford it and I am one of those people.

After sleep on it, I am just going to sell it for good. I am also in the midst of discussion to open a production facility in SE Asia so I need all I can get.

showme1946 and paulchua like this.
  10. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    Unfortunately, I never factored in a lot of stuff when I decided to bring this hot baby home. Owning a Ferrari doesn't mean can afford the upkeep. Hopefully no offense on this analogy. Peope said wife is like Honda/Toyota. They work hard,reliable, low maintenance and hardly fail you even though it may be boring. Luxury car is like your hot affair girlfriend with lot of excitement, high performance, but also high maintenance and when it break down, it cost a tons then you also have to worry! Unless you are ultra super rich then you don't have any worry.

Even my kids hate me for owning one. They wouldn't want me to take them to school or activities with the car as they feel their friends are going to tease them. All 3 of my kids had the same reaction! They don't even want me to take them in the Corvette!

gh0st0 and TheDiffuser like this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Don't sell yourself short. It may not just have been the right time. You got to fulfill a dream and experience the 488. If you get a well loved and maintained 6 speed 430, it should be quite manageable.

Keep us updated on what you get and I wish you every success in your upcoming business venture.

Be well.

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Sau Kweng Tan,

I'm a bit confused. The 488 you bought has a 7 year warranty. Why would you be concerned about breakdowns?

I assure you a comparable 7 year warranty from the dealership for a used 355/430 will not come cheap, and often have more exclusions.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  13. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    No just maintenance and breakdown but also losing value day by day when it basically sits. It's not like I am making hundred of thousand a year and able to afford to just let it sit. I am actually in talk with partner in SE Asia to joint venture to open new production facility.

paulchua likes this.
  14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Ah yes, I totally agree. The depreciation monster is quite the beast! I understand now. The great thing about the 355/430 is much of the depreciation is baked in (especially the 355). I think you'll be very pleased with the F355/430, but I urge you to at least test drive them before you pull the trigger. That way you know for sure if they are the cars for you!

Cheers

EnzoItaly likes this.
  15. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #15 Kevin Rev'n, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    Ehem...The guys list said 355, 360, 430 ... I am taking the names of all you guys who skipped right over that bolded part in my intro! ;-)
    A manual 360 would leave 50-60K in his pocket over the manual 430! That's a lot of repairs or S.E. Asia fun money!

Oh I almost forgot that having the Capristo exhaust on the car as I do is about as good as it gets. I was at the dealer to pick my car up after the yearly service and there was some confusion about who was helping me and the gal comes over and said did someone go to get your car and just them it started up on the parking floor above the service office and she said, "Oh I hear it now. I can always tell your car, I was wondering if they got you". This is in a Ferrari, Lambo, Bentley, Lotus, etc dealer that gets everything running through there for service mind you. LOL

daytona355 and paulchua like this.
  16. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    Do they allow test drive on the Ferrari? Actually let me see how much I have left after the oversea investment. That's why I am also selling the 2017 Porsche GTS Cab too, which I just got custom license plate for it. :(

17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Yeah most def!! You're an existing customer my man!! Just ask your sales rep. For individual sellers, if you're serious enough to do a PPI, and show up (especially in one of your other exotics) I'm sure they will accommodate you.

Best wishes!!

18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    +360 totally agree you should take a look at a 360 as well!!!

SAU KWENG TAN likes this.
  19. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I truly believe, that the 308 / 328 , 288 GTO and F 40 are the very best machines that Ferrari has ever made,I say this in the terms of not only beauty, but of a pure driving experience, which was what Ferrari used to be all about. The 328 has what I believe to be the most miles per maintenance intervals, and is the most reliable Ferrari ever made. The F40 and 288 are much more expensive to buy, but I believe they are also very reliable . From a pure driving experience, these three machines cannot be equaled. The fact that Ferrari ,Maserati, are building SUVs and are going to start building Hybrids, shows that these marks are decaying at the same rate as society..I will keep my 328 until death, and then they can bury me in it,,,lol

308inSD, SAU KWENG TAN and paulchua like this.
  20. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    It takes a very mature person to say that. Too many of us, especially young guys, get caught up in the aspirational stuff and stretch. While on paper I could get a 458 or Cali T (or even lease a new Lusso T or Portofino), it would be tragically dumb of me to do when I should focus on finishing of my mortgage and increasing savings. So I have a 355... that is still worth what I paid and I've driven for about .75 a mile. Honestly but for instagram social competition I'm still pretty happy with it.

That said, I lost a little control and got a new Alfa as a daily.

21. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    OP I agree with a lot of the recommendations here so far.
    From my own perspective and taking into account your criteria- I've driven the 355 manual, 360 manual, 430 manual and 458.

The 458 is the most incredible car I've owned. I've just bought a 6 spd manual 430 coupe. I won't be selling this car. Never for sale. It is incredible.

So slightly older, lower service and maintenance costs, still with a full 2 year warranty (on my 430 from a dealer -458 is still under 7 year service plan).

Those are only my thoughts. I didn't buy the 355/360 only due to timing, so not a slight on those great cars.

My main point is you won't miss out on the joys of Ferrari ownership by going to an older model. BUT - pay for and buy the best one you can find. That's what I did and I don't regret it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I bought a manual 430 coupe new in 2005 and I've probably spent around 10K so far for maintenance and repairs (very few!) This does not include consumables such as tires and brakes. I do think the number will go up in the future as I plan to go to aftermarket headers, could use a nose repaint and sooner or later a clutch. Right now, it has 29K on it. However, I believe 360s are the best buy in the market right now. They will cost more for maintenance, but a manual coupe sells for maybe 60% a comparable 430 does. I think 360s have bottomed and 430s are close if not bottomed as well.

Dave

23. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    another option to look at is 550. They are all manual. relatively easy to service (front engine) - cam belt is sub $2k service, and most backyard mechanic can do it in an afternoon. Relatively reliable. V12. it is more of a GT than a sports car though. low $100k's

430 Scud is great, but it sucks as a daily. it is relatively cheap now - same price as a F430 manual. I prefer manual for everything, but Scud's single clutch is special. it is brutal, very much in character of the car. again, it might be too much for street.

360 manual is at bottom of depreciation curve. a little more expensive to maintain than a F430.

F430 is crazy cheap to maintain. once you go with aftermarket header. F1 transmission have some issue, but isn't expensive. if you go with manual, there is very little to go wrong.

355, 348, are a no in terms of maintenance.
    I know a ton of people say 458 is reliable. But I've heard many stories of transmission issue (California, FF, F12 have same issue) - a speed sensor go bad, a simple part, but you have to drop the transmission and open it up. I don't own a 458, so others will probably chime in on this issue.

I would say F430 manual is the best for your criteria. but it is expensive. same price range as a Scud and early 458.

24. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    [QUOTE="bellwilliam,

F430 is crazy cheap to maintain. .[/QUOTE]. ?

25. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    as I state earlier. F430 F1 is a little more issue, still nothing major. but if you get a manual, then it is a non-issue.

what issue are there with F430 manual ? other than header, which you should replace with an aftermarket right away. probably replaced already you get one. if not, it is a 1 time cost.

maintenance - oil change, spark plug, fluids, pretty typical of every car. ball joints are weak in these cars, may be engine mount (which isn't labor intensive). there are little issues like loose tail lights, which you can prevent by attach rubber washers on them. can't think of anything else now.

I will take a F430 maintenance over BMW M3/M5 maintenance any day. I just replaced all 4 rotors (Brembo, same as 2010 Hyundai and Camaro) and pads on my F430. It cost me less than $700 and couple hours of labor. It is cheaper and easier to do than many Toyota or Ford (Brembo is super easy to work on).

308 milano likes this.