FERRARI TO SUPPLY ENGINES TO RED BULL | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FERRARI TO SUPPLY ENGINES TO RED BULL

Discussion in 'F1' started by 375+, Nov 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I don't think any manufacturer should be criticised for not agreeing to supply its engines to another team, why give a competitor something that might give them a chance of beating you? However, selling them an engine that isn't quite as good as yours might be good business!

2. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    Red Bull just needs to stick any half decent engine in for 2016 and then convince BMW to be their OEM supplier for 2017.

DM nearly convinced Audi to join. I'm sure he can persuade the big cheeses in Munich as well.

3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
  4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  5. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Your badge wins either way.

However, in RBR's case, the engine builders with factory teams, know that RBR wants to be a factory team, no room for two factory teams, which means RBR will be walking ASAP. They will also be walking with a full knowledge of your engine with whoever they go to.

I understand RBR's position on this, I understand Ferrari, and Mercedes position on this. Either F1 must present a table that more engine builders are willing to pay for, and RBR gets factory status with someone new, or else, nothing really will work out well.

6. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    My thoughts are (bear with me LOL) are that if RB made a deal with Ferrari they would be getting tried and true reliable engines. With that being said I am not sure if it is a good deal. I was under the impression that RB and Renault had already signed their deal? Now if that is true and RB can develop the engine on their own that could lead to a very unreliable engine.

It's all very confusing.

7. GrndLkNatv

GrndLkNatv Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2006
    Grand Lake, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Stephens
    Don't forget that after Luca Marmorini was sacked by Ferrari last year he has been consulting to Renault F1 and RBR so I am sure there will be lots of advancement in their power unit.. Red Bull will stay with Renault and I am sure we will get final word here in the next day or so..

8. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
  9. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Id love to see bmw buy the red bull team and run a factory team again!

10. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    +1

But I doubt they will enter as long as it's V6. In terms of hybrid powertrain development they are getting left behind: MB, Ferrari, Renault, Honda, Audi, Porsche, Toyota, Nissan are all racing these types of PU's.

11. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

On top of that, Renault/Honda are a substantial lesson to anyone else who even thought about making an engine for current spec F1. And now, those companies have a few years experience with this tech under their belt too...

12. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'd like to see BMW rejoin also.

What's interesting is that in the real world, BMW is doing just as well or better than anyone with hybrid tech in their road cars. They are doing incredibly well as a company also. Which begs the question - is the F1 PU even relevant?

13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 Excellent point! Topic for a new thread?

14. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

No its not. Its overly complex. The world doesnt need that to travel the roads to grandma and shop on Saturday!! :)

15. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    What makes the F1 PU irrelevant is that all of the basic design was by a committee that generated extremely detailed specs which steer development toward making incremental developments to a basic design philosophy that might not be the best path to travel.

In LMP we see Audi, Porsche, Nissan, Toyota and even Subaru with hybrid PUs. All are different, but all address the same problem and do so very innovatively. However each does so from a point that is in keeping with its own design philosophy. It is the bold innovation, tied to the real world, that is missing from F1, and that limits the appetite of many manufacturers to participate. The FIA regs were clearly driven by certain manufacturer(s). Had Subaru been as strong as Mercedes, the current formula might be based on their 1.6 litre turbocharged flat-4. Would Mercedes and Renault be interested in participating if that were the mandated engine design?

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/upscooby.jpg

16. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

+1

This present formula doesn't allow diversity of solutions, and imposes too many parameters.

17. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Well said.

That is the coolest looking Subaru engine I've ever seen.

18. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Absolutely correct......and on a side note... will that engine fit in a WRX? Hmmmm...

19. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    How so Andreas? Given the unprofessionalism of Red Bull throughout the entire season trashing their suppliers in public, I don't think the sport will lose any sleep if they don't make it to the grid.

20. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    My understanding was that Renault was one of the prime movers pushing for turbo hybrid power units; and that it was Ferrari that pushed very hard for a switch in the specification from 4 cyl to V6.

But given how much some people complain about the sound of the turbo V6s, can you imagine the uproar over a grid full of flat fours? My god, it would be back to the old Formula Vee sounds again, with VW flat four engines putt-putting around the track. I HATE the sound of all flat fours, including Subarus!

21. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Although I have respect for Subaru via their Rally accomplishment's I can not get over the old out-board John Boat engine note. I have thought about the V6 choice for some time and wonder if F1 even considered using VW's VR6 design? It is super compact and very strong.

22. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    If it had gone to fours, we would really be in trouble. The way it's going, turbocharge my garden tractor, add a wing or two, and it will sound as good and be almost as quick in a straight line (although cornering is very iffy, I have turned that thing over more times than I care to remember!)

23. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    #48 375+, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2015
    Well, there was this . . .

http://i.imgur.com/xrdw9k0.jpg

24. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #49 classic308, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2015
  25. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Correct, done late in his career. An impressive looking piece but an underpowered lump compared to its peers.