FERRARI TO SUPPLY ENGINES TO RED BULL | Page 3 | FerrariChat

FERRARI TO SUPPLY ENGINES TO RED BULL

Discussion in 'F1' started by 375+, Nov 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    no different than the Porsche v12-heavy thirsty and weak.

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Like it or not, they have IMO the best of all young driver programs. Look at the caliber of drivers they bought to the sport...Vettel, Ricciardo, Kvyat, Verstappen, Vergne, Sainz just of the top of my head.

I do wish for Mate****z and Helmut to **** off though. put a gag on them.

3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Do you mean the Footwork-Arrows? Agreed but at least there was a diversity of engines/types in that era--V8's, V10's and V12's by several different manufacturers. The sound of the pack was magnificent.

4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 completely agree!

5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

+1

6. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yeah, ask Luizi, Speed, Alguesuari, Vergne, Bourdais, how far did they go?

7. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    #57 spirot, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2015
    I remember that engine - it sounded good, but was way way down on power.

8. Duane_Estill

Duane_Estill F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Duane K Estill
    As the suits at Subaru and the Rally Team breathe a collective sigh of relief.......

9. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    LOL!

10. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Too bad they screwd even better drivers in the process!!!!

11. Duane_Estill

Duane_Estill F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Duane K Estill
    That sounds is unmistakable, and quite barky.

Pardon the digression.

12. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Was it Alguesuari retired quite recently..at 25??

13. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I took no offense to your post and was laughing with you and not at you, should I be more delicate next time?

14. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #64 Kiwi Nick, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    It is the diversity that I miss most. When the FIA regs layout specs, right down to the valve angle, there is effectively no diversity and little innovation.

And for those of you who are slagging 4 cylinder turbos, the BMW M10/12/13 Megatron develop 1,000hp +/- form 1.5 liters and the sound was quite loud. Of course, that was 30 years ago, when the FIA wasn't designing engines.

15. GrndLkNatv

GrndLkNatv Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2006
    Grand Lake, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Stephens

I remember that engine!!! It was a beast!!!

16. Duane_Estill

Duane_Estill F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Duane K Estill
    No you're fine, I was asking pardon of the thread for non-thread discussion.

17. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Renault did push for the smaller turbo concept. However, it was mainly Newey who pushed for the V6 over the inline four. He felt that the subframe required to run an inline four would upset the aero potential...pushing for the stressed member V6 instead. Ferrari agreed...and, Mercedes shrugged their shoulders and said "okay."

18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

At the time, an acquaintance of mine visited Megatron, enquiring about a BMW turbo engine for a sportcar project he intended to built. On that day, they were bench testing one of their experimental F1 engines and they invited him to see the dyno session.
    He saw the dyno clock go to 1700HP, although they quickly said that the engine wouldn't be operable with that boost pressure.

1700HP extracted from a stock block taken from a saloon car, can you believe it !!

19. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Yes. I have many BMW motorcycles from the 50s to the 80s...they don't build them like they used to!

20. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Liuzzi, Speed, Bourdais where not fit for F1.

Alguersuari and Vergne both got a proper shot at F1, 2.5 and 3 seasons respectively, all on Red Bull's money. After a while, Red Bull decides who moves up (Vettel, Ricciardo and Kvyat), others have either stayed on, been picked up by other teams or, if they where either unlucky (vergne) or not good enough (speed, Liuzzi, Bourdais) they try their luck at other series. Not quite sure where Alguersuari fits in, I don't think he was quite bad or very spectacular.

Anyways, it's not RBR's job to keep employing someone who is not going to get a shot at their big boys team, and other F1 teams have been able to see the talents (or lack of) of all their drivers, and could pick them up if they want to. Most of these drivers have been receiving Red Bull support before F1, which means they've been a sizeable investment on RB's part, and relieved said drivers of finding sponsors (if they're not lucky enough to have billionaire dads).

I don't understand the hate for the RB program. They're not going to dump world championship drivers for a chance with a rookie. What I certainly don't understand is the claims that they're destroying the careers of these young guys, many of which probably wouldn't even come close to an F1 test seat, let alone be able to race for many seasons.

They're not charity.

On top of that, wouldn't you feel for young drivers not able to get an F1 drive because RBR keeps STR drivers sitting in seats? Look at the GP2 boys with titles (particularly Van Doorne, who is now looking at a super formula drive...), unable to get an F1 seat.

21. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Very cool!..... If the stories are true, leaving the blocks out in the rain & pissing on them worked wonders too.....

I'm surprised he was invited to watch it though - Must have had many dollars (Dmarks?) hanging out of his pockets! IME, they're all generally pretty paranoid about allowing "outsiders" into their test bays/control centers. I watched a few Toyota F3 lumps in Italy over the years, but they'd *never* let us see "our" engine(s) being tested; Someone elses, no problem, although we were never told who owned what.

Cheers,
    Ian

22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    BMW used engine blocks that had seen many miles on road cars. The reason for that if they believed that going through plenty of thermic cycles de-stressed the mollecules in the block.

Other engine builders obtain the same, if they work from block straight from the foundry, by putting them through various cycles in an oven, for the same reason.

23. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Whatever the reasons, the little sucker certainly made many HP.....

Agreed. It's one of the few areas that remain something of a black art IMO.

It's steel, the molecules are pretty much set. "Destressing"? I dunno.....

Cheers,
    Ian

24. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    That's right. Most people don't seem to grasp the counter-intuitive notion that highly defined design parameters can actually result in higher development costs than less restrictive regulations.

25. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I think alguersuarie had some kind of heart condition, prevented him running cars at one point, I may be wrong, but that is likely the reason