News

Ferrari Today - There's Something Missing

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Rossocorsa1, Jul 27, 2019.

1. imahorse

imahorse Karting

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I bought my 360 2 years ago at the age of 27. I live in Wisconsin and can recall each of the maybe 10 or less times I've seen a Ferrari on the road without being at an event. Only one of those was a 360 and that was in Elkhart Lake where exotics frequent. I know most people feel that the cars they grew up with were the best cars and I can't help but absolutely love the round styling that most cars had in the late 1990s and early 2000s. I think that the 360 is one of the best designed cars in that era. It is the car I think I'm going to keep forever. Between the carbon fiber seats, having damn near rubber bands for tires, and always being in sport mode, I find mine to be one of the most raw and engaging cars to drive, despite being F1. A lot of passengers think it is the most miserable car ever. To me, that is half the fun. Hell, I have left it in sport mode for all of my ownership except for 10 miles. The ease of DIY work on it (short of the F1, which I am working on getting access to) also makes it more enjoyable. Today's cars are way too computerized, way too comfortable, not quirky enough, and have less soul. I like getting a kidney punch everytime I do a redline shift. Driving 700 miles round trip to Minneapolis and back was one of the most miserable and greatest experiences I've ever had as a gearhead.

Today they seem more like status symbols for Instagram followers than something people are passionate about. They are too computerized to work on in a dumpy garage with cheap tools like I enjoy doing. I do want to also get a car that is more tame and reliable but still fun and I think a Corvette will do just fine. I don't think a Ferrari should be those things. It should be rough. It should be quirky. It should be engaging at all times. It is those things that help build the passion. I think perhaps that feeling of passion is what the company has forgotten.

2. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    You guys are crazy. My 812 Superfast is unbelievable and has a nice naturally aspirated V12. Nothing else like it.

I'm 360 Canuck and MalcQV like this.
  3. IloveGT

IloveGT Rookie

Oct 17, 2015
    I am totally okay without worrying metals slamming hard together when downshifting too hard, but I know what you mean.

Analog feel of steering. Only two I can think of - McLaren and Lotus for the main stream. Wanna try Bac Mono one day.

4. I think that’s why the Ferrari experience can mean different things to different people.
    There is no universal Ferrari experience.

As to Imahorse’s comments, I sometimes prepare the non-car people that come for a ride in my 360 by telling them that it may not be what they expect, it was a $160k car with 12 computers that was designed to feel and sound like driving a go-kart. It’s not a 2 seat Bentley.