Ferrari track cars (599XX Evo, FXX, FXX K) and their competitors | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari track cars (599XX Evo, FXX, FXX K) and their competitors

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Keen, Aug 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    +1000

2. RTB

RTB Formula 3

Sep 5, 2006
    UK
    That was a DBR9 suffocated to GT1 regulations - the true capability of the DBR9 race engine is 1000bhp+ (a couple of privately-owned non-race cars were set up that way).

For the record, in 2007 my FXX (pre-Evo) set a lap time in private running at Bahrain/Sakhir very close (within 1sec) to my DBR9's pole position lap time at the 2005 FIA GT race there, and with the same driver (my good friend, Antonio Garcia).....

The FXX has much less downforce than the DBR9 (but that's manageable by a pro driver), but faster acceleration and a much higher top speed (210mph+ vs 190mph). Thus, the relative performance of all of these cars will vary circuit to circuit. For example, the 599XX has epic mechanical grip and downforce (GT1-esque) so would set a fast time on a tight circuit, but would be less impressive on a longer modern circuit with long straights. And so the car with the most adjustability (e.g. a truck full of different wings, splitters and sills) is likely to perform best overall.

3. Mj_1963217

Mj_1963217 Karting

Mar 4, 2013
    Thanks for the insights, two quick questions if you don't mind me asking:

1. how often does a 1,000 hp NA motor require to have an engine re-built?

2. Recently a Guy Martin driving the #55 FXX surfaced online, and the owner of the car claims the 6.3 litter motor has 1,280 hp tuned by Ferrari, so I wonder is every XX car's engine tuned differently according to owner's preference?

Many thanks.

4. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    1. Depends who built the engine!

2. Rubbish, nonsense.

5. RTB

RTB Formula 3

Sep 5, 2006
    UK
    1. Probably every 500km! The standard race engine would be rebuilt every 3200km.

2. That level of tune may be possible with the FXX, but I doubt whether Ferrari would have done it. As far as I am aware, all of the actively campaigned FXXs and Evos were running the same engine spec. The programme was a test bed for future road cars, so reliability was also an important element.

6. faykau

faykau Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    rtb, i am wondering if you are in the fxxk program too?

7. Mj_1963217

Mj_1963217 Karting

Mar 4, 2013
    Thanks for the replies!

8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    At the very least he used to be. Not sure if he ended up selling his FXX. His ''FXX World Tour'' thread is full of info!

9. Keen

Keen Karting

Dec 9, 2014
    First of all, thanks for your reply. ;-)
    Regarding the DBR9, yes, I specified it was a car in GT1 race trim.

This is very interesting, thanks for sharing the info.
    But, forgive me if I didn't understand correctly, do you also have a DBR9?

Yeah, the FXX is known to be a track car which focuses more on raw power than on strict downforce (not that it doesn't have a decent amount of it, but surely less than other track/race cars).
    However I can never find reliable values of its generated downforce; maybe, if it's possible and if you know about it, could you share some values? :)

Agree with this: 599XX should generate far more downforce than the FXX, that's also probably why Ferrari used it in its attempt to set the record at the Nurburgring.
    However, related to what you said, this is exactly the reason why I found impressive that the Zonda R managed to be slightly quicker than a GT1 car on a short track like that of TG (besides different slicks and ambient conditions, obviously): this fact confirmed what we actually already knew, i.e. that the Zonda R can display a quite high amount of downforce.

Agreed.
    This is why I said I'm personally in favor of the Pagani Revolucion here: massive downforce (more than the already great amount generated by the R), DRS (which the R doesn't have), adjustable aero set up for each type of track (as you said), last generation track CCMR brakes, more power than the R (still probably mantaining the 5000 km-on-track limit certification which was granted for the Zonda R), low weight (which isn't exactly bad for a track car).
    What do you think though? I'm really interested in your opinion. :)

10. RTB

RTB Formula 3

Sep 5, 2006
    UK
    #35 RTB, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. Keen

Keen Karting

Dec 9, 2014
    Magnificent cars.
    Congratulations!

12. Keen

Keen Karting

Dec 9, 2014
    Zonda Revolucion confirmed to be capable to approach the 6:30 mark at the Ring: even more so, considering that Horacio states the Revolucion is 12 seconds faster than the R

The Broken Rod: Interviewing Horacio Pagani in His Factory: meet the Man Behind the Fastest Form of Art on Earth!

and considering what Marc Basseng said at the time of the lap record set with the R

Pagani Zonda breaks 'Ring record | Evo

I don't find that hard to believe that the Revolucion could lap it even below the 6:30 mark.

13. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Lots of photos of Ferrari track cars on this thread now sice the Corse Clienti 2015 at Spa ! :)

14. Keen

Keen Karting

Dec 9, 2014
    And it seems I was right.

http://cdn-0.motor1.com/p/static/img/mglr/600000/600000/600000/600800/600817/s8/wcf-pagani-zonda-revolucion-at-the-nurburgring-pagani-zonda-revolucion-at-the-nurburgring.jpg

I did expect a similar time-drop between the Revolucion and the previous R, considering the brakes/aero/chassis/power advantage of the former over the latter.

15. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I wonder how long the 789 hp motor in the LF will go(when driven hard) before needing a rebuild.

16. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016

How is the comparative between these super extreme cars and the GTE Le Mans or GT3 cars?

This super extreme cars have much more power of the GT3/GTE LM and Less weight in some cases, but I guess the GT3 and much more even the GTE LM, have a higher optimized design in terms of aerodynamics, chassis and suspensions.
    I have the sensation that the GT3 and much more even the GTE LM are much faster in track sectors of many curves and these super extreme cars are much faster in straight lines.

17. Greg23

Greg23 Karting
    Owner

Jun 1, 2011
    CH, ITA, USA
    Full Name:
    Greg B.
    I can just say that back to back the Zonda R is about 4s faster in Mugello than the FXX-K!

18. Keen

Keen Karting

Dec 9, 2014
    #43 Keen, Jan 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    Thank you for your answer in this thread.
    Taking into account only the P1 GTR and the FXXK, GT3 cars have more downforce and mechanical grip, they are lighter (especially if compared to the FXXK), so they are considerably faster in turning.
    P1 GTR and FXXK are faster on straights, anyway on most of tracks a GT3 car would take it.

Also, from all the info I could gather around, the P1 GTR seems to be, on average, faster than the FXXK as far as lap times go.
    FXXK has raw power but weight is a lot as well (especially, for example, if compared to the FXX, the difference is massive for a track car).

The Zonda Revolucion should be even or also slightly ahead of a race-restricted GT3 car though: lighter, more powerful and I think not even behind as far as a downforce goes.
    Of course, an unrestricted (in terms of bhp and weight) GT3 car (think about the 650S GT3, for example), would be a different matter and a far more interesting match up.

Finally, let me say that a P1 LM on slicks will be a totally different beast compared to the P1 GTR.

Oh, thank you very much for the info! This is exactly what I was looking for when I openend this thread, i.e. special info from "inside" that you cannot gather around the internet.
    A curiosity: by saying Zonda R, are you referring to the model in general (so are you also referring to the Revolucion in this case), or do you exactly mean the previous R model (and not the faster Revolucion)?
    Because if it is the second case, the gap with the Revolucion would be even bigger.

19. Greg23

Greg23 Karting
    Owner

Jun 1, 2011
    CH, ITA, USA
    Full Name:
    Greg B.
    The Zonda R, my configuration has 800hp, is faster than a Revo because it has gearbox with longer ratios, therefore on a track like Mugello it is much better.

20. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    I could find here in this forum some information about this comparative in another thread.
    There are some interesting facts:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/288gto-f40-f50-enzo-laferrari-sponsored-bradan/521631-fxx-k-vs-488gte-lap-times-fiorano.html

21. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    #46 444sp, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    Thanks for your reply
    According to that I could read in this thread the Pagani Zonda Revolucion should be the best car closely followed by the Aston Vulcan and The MC 12 Corsa.

22. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
  23. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
  24. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    #49 444sp, Mar 6, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    Aston Martin has unveiled its all-new track-only car, the Valkyrie AMR Pro, Tuesday at the Geneva Motor Show.
    I wonder if the FXX K Evo will be on the level of this beast.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NürScud likes this.
  25. Keen

Keen Karting

Dec 9, 2014
    It's not not even remotely close actually, totally different weight classes.
    The Vulcan AMR Pro is the direct competitor of the FXX K Evo, while it was already well known even before the reveal of today that the Valkyrie AMR Pro would have been in a completely other league.

Tifosi Ferrari likes this.