Ferrari trying to take over ferrari club | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari trying to take over ferrari club

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by robf91, Jan 22, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    THIS.
    It's all about finding victims.

Marcel Massini

2. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    #27 MisterMaranello, Jan 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    When the owner of a SUV whos interior is filled in large part with plastic and skye-like leather can be the member of the same "club" as the owner of a handcrafted truly italian product built and designed with pride by a tight knit group of legendary engineers - there is something completely wrong. Hence why many clubs would be better off without affiliation.

The future of the brand has nothing to do with what has been. It is something completely else. If Ferrari takes control, the clubs will end up with Hublot wearing members in brightly colored oversized Philipp Plein hoodies and space boot looking shoes bearing some sort of so-called "creative" interpretation of the Prancing Horse design, but will mostly resemble the arts and crafts homework assignment of a color blind 5 year old. This will only strengthen the independents further!

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The BRAND. What was once in the beginning, shall evermore be true- the BRAND.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

308 milano likes this.
  4. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    As a last resort can't the FCA cut all ties with Ferrari SpA. If necessary, we could change the name to the Italian Car Club and limit membership to owners of Ferraris. Let the dealerships fend for themselves just like any other brand. It's sad that Ferrari SpA wants to turn into Big Brother. I don't think Enzo or Luca would approve of this approach.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't think they would need to remove Ferrari by name. That has been tested long ago in court, doesn't mean they won't try to threaten though. Never once has Ferrari ever said anything to us, except Jean Todt back in the day recommended we add in footer "FerrariChat.com has no association with Ferrari S.p.A."

6. manta22

manta22 Karting

Jun 6, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Neil P. Albaugh
    il Commendatore must be turning over in his grave!

megamarco9 and Texas Forever like this.
  7. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    Ferrari was, is, and always will be a hugely ARROGANT company. That comes straight from Enzo himself. You know things are bad when the main dealership (in the UK) forbids people from taking photographs in its showroom ! There are a lot of people out there who resent Ferrari's "volte face" from ignoring enthusiasts (whether owners or not) to suddenly milking them for every penny. The Classiche scheme is a good example. Ferrari's land-grab on the official clubs will prompt lots of alternative / independent clubs to spring up. (Certainly wouldn't be the first time in the UK).. No doubt Ferrari will as usual come out swinging with lawyers etc - but maybe one day they'll get the comeuppance they so richly deserve.

8. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Let me be the first.

The SCNA (SAAB Club of North America) would welcome all members under our soon to be created Ferari (Spelling like that on purpose) branch. Dues are around $60 a year and there is no oversight or interference. Our annual conference, the SOC (SAAB Owners Club) is inexpensive although we are welcome to the idea of you guys setting up something nicer and more expensive.

Just keep it in mind.

Lester

;-)

Reacherman1022 and Texas Forever like this.
  9. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    Lol ! I suggest we go one better. Let's start a rival car-making company with an Italian sounding name (lots of syllables, and ending with the letter i) . We'll hire approachable, down-to-earth dealers - who will be very friendly to anyone who takes an interest in our cars. There are lots of small villages near Maranello where we could build our factory. This would A) annoy Ferrari and B) allow us to poach some of their disgruntled and recently-departed employees (eg senior engineers). The company logo will be some kind of fierce animal - to take on the prancing horse. Oh - and if someone wants to start a club: the very best of luck to you... :)

obertRo, Adamas and Texas Forever like this.
  10. Rick Weston

Rick Weston Karting

Mar 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Weston
    I read the entire letter with growing incredulity. I can't believe people who have spent their life restoring, perfecting and judging these cars have been excommunicated from the Ferrari events. This is a terrible decision.

11. Trilogy

Trilogy Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Mark Humberstone
    I believe Ducati is doing a similar thing in the UK with dealers taking over Ducati Club area groups. Is this where the brands see their future???

Texas Forever likes this.
  12. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    92,955,807 miles from the sun
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    100% correct. Only design logos or an unclear affiliation presented to the consumer would cause trouble. The case at play would be the knockoff supreme court decision back in the 80's where a company was knocking off perfumes and colognes and had the tagline "If you like Giorgio, then you will love XX". The big perfume companies sued and lost at the supreme court. The decision reinforced the idea that the consumers interest comes first. Even though it was about comparisons to have the consumer informed, the underlying case was that it was in the consumers interest to use/see a brand name for their own use or comparison, even if commercialization of a products name was used, in print. This is where creating a new logo (for a club) with the Ferrari name would cause trouble and the words "FerrariChat.com" would not.

Start a new club, call it "The New Ferrari Club" , don't create a logo, use a typeface font and do all the things you like to do. Be free, love your car, have fun with other like minded people, and don't worry about the "official" corporate Ferrari Club. If the membership of the FCA leaves, moves to the new Ferrari Club, puts a board together, holds events, has meetings, etc. and it is in the best interest of its members, then that's the freedom we all enjoy. FerrariChat is a message board for us to share whatever we like to share, including organizing our own rally, organizing our own events, even meeting up to party. I don't need the FCA for anything really.

13. dgunn365

dgunn365 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    New London, NH
    Full Name:
    David Gunn
    FOC....................................Already in place..........................Very long history...............................not owned by FCA????

14. dgunn365

dgunn365 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    New London, NH
    Full Name:
    David Gunn
    And, I will freely give up my 3 digit membership number!

15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Been a member for 45 years.:eek:

16. dgunn365

dgunn365 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    New London, NH
    Full Name:
    David Gunn
    youbetcha

jm2 likes this.
  17. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Ferrari of... Canada, Colorado, Chat,?

dgunn365 likes this.
  18. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Ferrari Owners Club

19. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Ahh.. that works too. Cars previous owner, Robert Rehkopf was a member I believe.

Do I need to sacrifice another virgin to join?

dgunn365 and Texas Forever like this.
  20. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Isn't FerrariChat.com already a Ferrari club?

21. dgunn365

dgunn365 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    New London, NH
    Full Name:
    David Gunn
    FOC; a very early, California based club; full of interesting cars and people.

jm2 likes this.
  22. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I was a member for a number of years. Can't remember why I didn't stick with them.
    I did like their annual directory.

dgunn365, tomc and Texas Forever like this.
  23. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #48 Rifledriver, Jan 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    Yes and it could yet happen. No reason at all FCA has to stay affiliated with Ferrari and if it becomes more trouble than not I suspect that exact thing will happen.

BTW Luca did do exactly this a number of years ago so don't start trying to paint him as a saint this many years later.

FCA used to have a letter dating back to mid/late 60's from Enzo thanking the club for its dedication to the brand and in effect giving them permission. Problem is it got "lost" so that evidence is gone.

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Sheehan had it mostly wrong. Ferrari had nothing to do with it. It was 100% Canossas doing. Ferrari is in fact pissed about it. Canossa threw Ferrari under the bus for something they did not do and made them look bad.

25. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And a huge percentage left when FCA Pacific Region was formed. Big falling out.

dgunn365 likes this.