Ferrari V12 vs Jag V12 vs BMW V12 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari V12 vs Jag V12 vs BMW V12

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Horsefly, Jan 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Beautiful machine you have there.

2. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    Thanks Boxerman! I do love them both...I must be insane to have 2 cars with 12 cylinders.

3. RedFlyer512TR

RedFlyer512TR Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Full Name:
    Timothy
    Hi, I have two cars with 12 cylinders also. The 850Ci has been a great car. I bought it in July of 2009 and I have had it serviced with the equivalent of any 30k service. The body work and paint are being done this winter. The car gets great attention from BMW enthusiast and the general BMW loving public. As time keeps going on, there are fewer of these on the road but the ones you see are usually close to being show cars. The 850 is a car that runs when you take care of it and it absolutely won't run if it's neglected.

I am keeping mine.

4. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    The Ferrari V12 does not have a flat plane crank.

5. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    No mention of Lamborghini?

6. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    My dad had a CL600 Benz. If you listened for it, the motor had a great sound. (I like the awesomely quiet exhaust). It was as smooth as silk, and the torque was great. Very linear. It was not an inexpensive car to own. It had a couple of simple prob's that cost an arm-and-a-leg to fix, so he traded it for a supercharged V8 AMG Benz. Great motor, but the V-12 does have a certain magic to it.

FWIW: To compare, I did drive a new Ferrari F12. What can I say? ------- Got a cigarette :)

7. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    I was told by a friend, a BIG time Mercedes tuner that the V12 Mercedes is an engine to stay away from....problems galore and very expensive to fix. Great deals if you are a knowledgeable Mercedes mechanic, but expensive.

8. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    At least as far as that particular CL600, the engine was quite robust, and none of the engine management systems had trouble, I do recall a hi pressure hydraulic hose leaking for the suspension which necessitated the motor lifted off of its mounts to replace, and the estimate was ~4k. Mercedes stepped up and fixed it 'cause they thought it shouldn't have failed. That support probably encouraged my dad to buy a new Benz product.

9. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    That is equivalent to 6 Hondas engines...

10. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    I am speechless brother... wow, very nice.

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I wouldn't say it one to stay away from, but they do have there issues. The engines themselves are very good, but the stuff that's bolted to it, not so much. The ABC pumps are big money and fail along with the pressure lines. Later cars fixed the front timing cover oil leaks. Transmissions are the big issue we have found on the big 12's. They seem to eat and spit them out with regularity.

Oops wrong quote!! Sorry, we pretty much said the same thing...lol

12. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Indeed :)

....vs Lamborghini V12 vs Aston Martin V12 vs Audi V12 ???