Ferrari vs Lambo - a frank discussion with special guest Allan Lambo | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferrari vs Lambo - a frank discussion with special guest Allan Lambo

Discussion in '360/430' started by Gary(SF), Jan 15, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    OMG,you are like an ulcer that keeps coming back.

2. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I bring up resale not to suggest it's a good reason to buy a car, because I agree it's not. I was trying to illustrate current market demand, the only measure we have of a car's desirability to the buying public.

Gary

3. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    If you're serious, this is something else we disagree on...I can't stand her.

Gary

4. LMT84

LMT84 Rookie

Dec 13, 2005
    The Woodlands
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I owned a 2004 Gallardo (egear) for about 1 1/2 years . . . I had about 6500 miles on the car when I recently sold it. Many of these miles were track miles . . . consumed 4 sets of PS2's, 2 complete sets of disc pads and one set of front rotors. The G was solid on both the track and on the road . . . it compared very favorably to my 6 spd 2003 Porsche X50 turbo in terms of reliability but I ended up spending much more time in the G due to a bit more driver involvement and the free revving, non-turbo engine. My few complaints on the track were associated with the weighted AWD steering feel (and associated turn-in), slow gear change on the egear, brake fade after hard driving, improper gearing and overall weight of the car. Torque, straigt-line acceleration and corner exits were a pure joy. I kept the car essentially stock except for an aftermarket exhaust and some high performance air filters.

At the end of last year, I began evaluating my next car purchase. During this time period, I was able to test drive a Gallardo SE, F430, a Ford GT and a Z06. I was lucky to test both the Ford GT and Z06 under track conditions--both impressive but the Z06 did not inspire the confidence of the G (or my Porsche for that matter). The Ford GT was pretty spectacular in pure performance--drawbacks were build quality, weight, interior styling/quality and completely impractical doors. Torque (in every gear) and driving ease at the limit were every bit as good (or better) than my G. It is, however, still a Ford and though very workmanlike in performance, it did not instill a great deal of passion (though if prices continue their downward trend, I will pick one up as a weekend track car).

I was only able to test the SE under street conditions but the MY'06 changes were evident. The shortened gear ratio (first five gears) and improved steering feel helped offset the weight issue and AWD effects. Egear shift times and overall feel were about the same. Much improved over my '04 G but not revolutionary.

My first drive in the F430 sealed the deal--the weight difference, steering feel and shifting of the F1 transmission clearly set it apart from the SE. It was hard to determine under street driving but as I would learn at the track, the e-diff is a wonderful foil to AWD. Needless to say, I purchased a black F430 F1 coupe in December and have done numerous track sessions since then. I quickly eclipsed the times that I set in my '04 Gallardo and though I miss the security of the AWD at times, the advantages of the F430 are readily observable on the track. With equivalent drivers, my guess is that the F430 and SE (or any Gallardo MY06) are very close on the track. I was looking for a change and the SE was more incremental to my '04 . . . getting back to a high revving RWD car has been refreshing (after the G and the Turbo).

I only have positives to say about my '04 Gallardo and the SE was a serious contender when considering my F430 purchase. I count myself as very lucky to have experienced both cars under track conditions and at the end of the day, I would recommend choosing the one that brings the biggest smile to your face.

Lee

5. GSpyder

GSpyder Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 10, 2006
    Maui, Az, FL
    Full Name:
    Allan-Lambo
    Nice write up! I dont think id go to an Se after having a G either.

6. GSpyder

GSpyder Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 10, 2006
    Maui, Az, FL
    Full Name:
    Allan-Lambo
    Well, I just spoke to her, and she said feeling is mutual. And she prefers her Bentley Gt to the Ferrari she recieved as a gift.....:)

7. Argonaut

Argonaut Rookie

Nov 27, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I have to say that is is precisely this problem that has me leaning towards the Gallardo. If my Ferrari dealer had a red/tan 430 F1 on their lot available at MSRP, it would take me about .05 seconds to pull out my checkbook. The Gallardo would not even be a consideration. The fact of the matter is that Ferrari likes to play games with potential customers who have to "join the club". It is this elistist bullsh*t attitude that will probably be putting a bull in my garage.

8. GSpyder

GSpyder Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 10, 2006
    Maui, Az, FL
    Full Name:
    Allan-Lambo
    Please dont buy a Gallardo. Go buy a 360.

9. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks for helping. Best of luck whatever you buy.

Dave

10. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Mr Lambo,
    Even if my 328 were valued the same as a Gallardo, I would opt for it becasue it appeals in ways the Gallardo cannot even dream of. By the way, your condescending remarks about my opinions based on the fact you thought I was just a lowly 3X8 owner were really over the top and exhibits a real lack of class. But then what would I expect from a chest beating braggart Lambo owner who cannot tell the truth about much of anything. Lamborghini himself was a disgruntled would be Ferrari owner. I can see why Enzo would not sell him a car. He went on to make cars that were all about "look at me". Today's Lambo buyers are of the same cloth.

Respectfully,
    Dave

11. 4RE Bob

4RE Bob Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Dave and Gary,

I can't believe that you two have not seen the light. I've been a Ferrari fan forever. I chose a manual 360 over a Gallardo when I bought, because it felt more engaging to me. But I was wrong. After reading this thread, I now realize, that I was judging by the wrong criteria. I didn't place enough emphasis on track times and Lambo's beauty and resale value. GSpyder and Piton's writings have convinced me to join the hords of 360 lemmings and dump this car (although I understand that those in the know wouldn't receive it as a gift). I feel born again! I've seen the Lambo Light. Won't you guys join me in Lambo Nirvana?

12. Piton

Piton Karting

Sep 11, 2005
    Your avatar fits you. ;)

13. Argonaut

Argonaut Rookie

Nov 27, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Jason
    GSpider, I'm not saying that lambo is worse than Ferrari by any means. It is such a subjective preference either way. I think the lambo is beautiful. I just have never had experience with an AWD sports car. That and I personally like the curvier styling of the 430 better. I wouldn't want a 360 because I think they don't have enough power and they look a little dated to me when compared to the 430 (or the lambo for that matter). But what it boils down to at the end of the day is that I don't want to be treated like a second class citizen just because I have not purchased a certain marque in the past. The fact that I could walk in to any Lambo dealer and walk out with a car (or be able to order one on the spot) is a huge factor for me in my exotic car decision. If a car buying experience is good for me, that dealership will probably earn my future business. I have never paid over MSRP for a car in my life, and I never want to. My local BMW dealership wanted to charge me 5K+ over sticker for me to order the M5 that I was on the list for. I decided to not purchase that car. I will now never buy from that dealership again. So unless I can miraculously find a 430 at MSRP, I will most likely be riding the bull in a couple of months.

14. GSpyder

GSpyder Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 10, 2006
    Maui, Az, FL
    Full Name:
    Allan-Lambo
    Actually Mr.Lamborghini, whom you should reffer to as "GOD" owned a Ferrari, and complained as to what a POS it was. He set out to set Enzo straight, and did a damn good job, and continues to do so.

15. 4RE Bob

4RE Bob Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Once again you're right. Now that I'm enlightened I realize that F cars are dogs.

16. GSpyder

GSpyder Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 10, 2006
    Maui, Az, FL
    Full Name:
    Allan-Lambo
    Inmo, once you drive the Bull, you will wonder why you ever had any interest in the Dancing Donkey.

17. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    Why would you come here? Simply to get under peoples skin?
    There are Lambo sites not that I have problem with Lambo or you. Just your approach.

18. 4RE Bob

4RE Bob Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Lee

This unbiased balanced account is not helpful. Why can't you make outrageous inflammatory comments like some of the others? Comments like yours may lead to civilized discourse.

19. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    i go to lambo power occasionally and there is , to me , a real sense to 5hit can ferrari whenever possible . some of the avatars say it all . so your post holds little water . not that i give a 5hit , i'm happy to drive my 430 daily

20. GSpyder

GSpyder Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 10, 2006
    Maui, Az, FL
    Full Name:
    Allan-Lambo
    Well, we only speak to the truth! :)

21. GSpyder

GSpyder Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 10, 2006
    Maui, Az, FL
    Full Name:
    Allan-Lambo
    I came to spread the Gospel of the Lord Ferruccio.

22. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    debatable

23. GSpyder

GSpyder Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 10, 2006
    Maui, Az, FL
    Full Name:
    Allan-Lambo
    Hardly

24. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Children, at least engage in intelligent dialogue.

25. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    ss it's my first foray into allan lambo country , rugged but of little substance