Ferrari vs Lamborghini... Past,Present, Future | FerrariChat

Ferrari vs Lamborghini... Past,Present, Future

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by FerrariFR33458, Jan 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    No comparison. Lamborghini sports cars wouldn’t exist without Ferrari.

I'm 360 Canuck and NürScud like this.
  2. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Right now the Performante is far and away a better car than the 488, so I would say Lamborghini has caught Ferrari in road car technology.

Next gen? Who knows. Fun being part of the competition though.

3. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Thanks for sharing the article!

Either way, we all win due to the power war.

4. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    My Lamborghini vs Ferrari boils down to visual appeal. While this is of course subjective the Ferrari’s look far more pleasing then its counterpart, though I know there are plenty who feel the opposite. Interesting article, and a nice refresh of both automakers history.

DrewH and peteficarra like this.
  5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Ferrari has no competition when you really sit back and think about it. Sure there are better cars out there,always will be. However, Ferrari is like a cult, the scientologists of the car world. Hype it up as much as possible, and keep getting people to open their wallets. Not too many companies can get away with what Ferrari does. That is the differance.

6. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    and then there is the mclaren 720s that beats nearly everything either italian company makes.
    and then there is the mclaren 7xxLT that will come out in a year that will definitely beat everything either italian company makes - and it looks the part....

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom

ag512bbi and peteficarra like this.
  8. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    those are good quotes ! :) ;)
    and i still think that ferraris are the greatest...BUT.....they need to watch out.
    i have driven a couple mclarens now and WOW! they are great.
    the only thing that ferrari still edges them out with is soul and noise, but you cannot live forever on that or you end up with the ferrari circa 1989 when they were no where.......

then there is the other problem that i do not not like the shape of any new ferrari. even the pista looks tortured.

when they ditched pf, they lost their way on the design.

moysiuan and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  9. redwood

redwood Karting

Apr 30, 2018
    Brisbane and Edinburgh
    Let's hope they take some curves from the Monza for the next round.

10. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    While I personally like how the mclaren’s look they suffer from the same basic problem Lamborghini has, they all look alike. Sure there are minor tweaks and changes but Ferrari tends to switch it up way better between models.

I do agree with the comment about designs of Ferrari’s not being as good since they parted ways with PF. Hopefully the first designs they have tried in-house provide the learning curve needed to deliver better future designs.

11. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    Lambos certainly have a sharp design and make you look.
    Ferrari just has softer lines... it also has a history ... how many lambo posters did we have beside our Farah posters...ok Countach is excluded.

As for McLaren...great performance and looks but I have a buddy who bought one and he hates it... says it's in the shop more than a typical Ferrari... lol.

Seriously he says it's in the shop all the time.

So who knows...I do know I like to see all of them.

12. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    #13 I'm 360 Canuck, Jan 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    I’m not sure how many ppl know what a mclaren is, or how/if it’s established as a car company that’s here to stay.

For me, the racing and heritage don’t really play into it. There’s Camrys in NASCAR too, but I wouldn’t buy one because of it.

I would buy either Ferrari or Lambo. Whichever fits my needs and budget best at the time. Anybody can build an exceedingly fast car, Vettes, Porsche’s, Vipers and Hell cats etc included. Charisma and presence factor in for me, which is why most of those got crossed off my list early. The mclaren has presence...it looks the part, but lacks the charisma...for the price. It looks like a bigger 4c, or new lotus....and that’s not an insult to any of them.

When I was buying my 360, I could have just as easily bought a Gallardo. I hate to say it, but I’m not a loyal shopper usually.

dahveedem likes this.
  13. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Disagree with the above. I think the Pista is the prettiest Ferrari to come out since the 60's. I had no intention of ever parting with my Speciale until I saw one in person. They are absolutely mind blowing.

Formula Uno likes this.
  14. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
  15. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I own a 720s and a performante and owned but sold my 488. The driving experience of the Lambo is much more exhilarating than the 488. I also feel that Lambo is trying harder for the younger buyers. The Mclearen is really fast and I love the body design and attention to air flow across the car. Ferrari is not at the top of the heap any more and there are good cars out there to choose from. Used Ferrari prices do not hold up like they have in the past.

16. Douglas52

Douglas52 Rookie

May 5, 2015
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    Yes, since Volkswagen took them over they have come along way, but the beautiful, rounded, softer lines of Ferrari appeal to me more than the sharp-angled, mechanical, robotic, wedge of cheese shape of the Lambo (I'm just saying)

I'm 360 Canuck and stavura like this.
  17. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Sadly neither company builds anything with looks even approaching the striking beauty of their older models.:(

18. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    I agree 100%.

However, as far as performance is concerned, the newer Lambos have little to nothing to do with Lamborghini ---- the only reason the cars finally got good....... has everything to do with Audi's involvement.

From a technical / engineering perspective, prior to Audi taking over, Lambos were crap ---- but with Audi doing the engineering, they are now well, basically high performance Audis ! Meaning that the cars still have the traditional Lamborghini flair, esthetic, and presence externally....... but, they also now have Audi technology, performance, and reliability internally.

Without Audi, Lamborghini would have been left far behind Ferrari in the modern era.

I'm 360 Canuck and Bluebottle like this.
  19. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    Looks are always a personal thing. I prefer the styling of my Lambo over any current Ferrari offerings. What I also love is the $450 I paid for annual service. I pay more than that for my Sequoia.

Boomhauer likes this.
  20. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    Pretty much everyone in the civilized world is aware of Ferrari.

Most do not know Lamborghini at all.

Question (poll) asked on Family Feud the other day: What car has 'speeding ticket' written all over it? Ferrari was #1 with about 40%, Corvette #2 with about 35%, and Lambo was back of the pack with 4%.

Now, the car buffs on this site would provide a different result, but the common person result above says a lot.

I have owned classic Lambos (Countach and Miura) and they were OK but too far out there on the 'wild side.' Not comfortable to drive and not very well built and impossible to get parts for them. While the Miura was a work of art, the Countach was just audacious.

Today's Lambos and McLarens are way to wild for my tastes; even Ferrari (reluctantly forced to follow the trend?) styling is getting over the top. My favorite McL is the MP4-12C.

Good looks are timeless. Give me a 250 Cal Spyder or a 275 GTB, or a Dino, or a 288 GTO, or even a 360 Modena over any of these insect looking things they make today.

plastique999 likes this.
  21. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm with you here, though I would probably substitute 550 Maranello for 360 Modena. Beats anything Ferrari build today (or Lamborghini, McLaren, Pagani, Bugatti, etc., etc.).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #23 finnerty, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    That pretty much sums up my overall opinion as well.

I had a Countach back some time ago ---- before they vaulted in price (wish I still had it just for that reason, as I only paid about $65K for it ! :(). I frankly could not stand driving that car.... it was just too much unrewarded effort, and far too ostentatious for my tastes. I only kept it for about 5 months, then traded it for a Boxer (wish I still had that one, too ;)).

I do very much like the modern Lambos, in terms of their much improved drive-ability and reliability, but they are still styled a bit too "wild" for me. And, really that is their niche ---- they are "look at me" cars, and great for folks who are okay with projecting that image. I am just not one of them.

As for McLaren, I love their engineering and find them to be fantastic cars ---- very worthy of joining the pantheon of iconic exotic cars created by Ferrari, Lamborghini, and even Maserati. But, again I concur that their styling is just too "out there" for my tastes ---- too much non-functional, attention grabbing chaos aesthetically.

Except for the MP4-12C ---- which, IMHO, is one of the most beautiful cars of the modern era. Too bad they are so "glitchy", but that's what happens to a small-volume builder on their first shot. That said, I am still holding a spot in my garage for when I come across the right one (that has been properly and thoroughly sorted) ---- outstanding bang-for-the-buck these days on the secondary market !

23. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Like lady novelists? :D:D:D

Jana likes this.
  24. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
    "McLownen" has done a great job capturing the younger rich audience. Ferrari's main loyal supporter's are not leaving yet. Steady solid growth is the answer regarding Ferrari. McLownen's spike will level off if not drop.