Ferrari Vs. Porsche or other sports cars | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Vs. Porsche or other sports cars

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ILMAESTRO, Nov 25, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Everything is subjective. Each person has their own wants, needs and definitions of "better." Some people find porsches alluring, while others find ferraris and yet others still find vintage packards to be the only way to go. It's whatever drives you to get in the garage on a Sunday.
    Anyway, what people that voice such myopic statements like "porsches suck" etc, demonstrate only that they haven't got a clue.
    Cars are like music, art and women. All different to different people, but nonetheless endowed with some mythic "charm" all their own. You may favor chopin, rembrant and a firey redhead. While, I, may favor grant green, rothko and a leggy brunette.
    So, let's agree to leave the pretense at the Soho concept caffes, far away from the track and out of the garage.
    yours,
    hubert

2. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Troll! And so, the second person on my ignore list... the first a Lambo bigot... the second an anti-Lambo bigot... but both just write to inflame.

Hey, Allan... go get him...

3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    To each his/her own.

For me, there has never been an affordable (sub $200K) Porsche that I would want to be seen inside--really!--just plain ugly! Now before all the Ferrari fans start waving the flag, I find the F360 leaves me flat. However, I find the F355, 328, 308, 365 GTB, 330, F40, GTO (both) and many others beautiful. I also find the Muira the most beautiful car produced before 1990, however, all modern Lamborghinis have too much "in your face" styling--however, the Merci is not bad.

Its me. I just don't like the way a Porsche sits on the road, its looks like an old volkwagon beetle given a treatment on the rack--really--in my eyes. Others are free to disagree!

Many/most have a different opinion of Porsches--that perfectly fine with me--just don't make any argument that Porsches are better for everyone! They are not.

4. shelbee

shelbee Guest

I think I prefer this 03 575M F1 over your posted two 996TTs.

Hope I have a good trade with my 550

5. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Oh boy, you are basicly an idiot. Even though i disagree with some here on a style objective, most here are not ignorant enough to dismiss Lambo from a performance objective, yet you drive a Mondial, which you say is a different animal because it is based on a 348. Well, i used to own a 348, which is faster and better handling than a Mondial, and compared to any lambo, whether a Muira,Countach,Diablo, it is a pig. Therefore your car, can be dismissed as pig$hit.

I have driven both a Daytona, actually several, and a Muira, not an Sv, and i can assure you, the Muira will run circles around it.

As for reliability, i have owned countless Lambos and Ferraris, and they have all been flawlessly reliable, even with the modifications i have choosen to do.

In the end, its one thing to have an opinion when your opinion is based on a comprable experience, but when your driving at basicly the bottom of the gene pool, do yourself a favor, and shut the f@ck up.

6. zwoemba

zwoemba Formula 3

Nov 22, 2003
    For me, Porsche and Ferrari aren't real concurrents. They have a total other vision of how to make a car.

@ shelbee: Very nice car!

7. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T

Gee Allan that is a bit brutal..Just the guys opinion.....

8. whimike

whimike Karting

Jul 26, 2003
    Los Gatos, CA
    Hahahaha.... Isn't it intersting how the website in your profile is for a shop that specializes in Ferrari AND Porsche? So much for not mixing those two.

As a real Ferrari fan and an owner of both a Ferrari and a Porsche I take great exception to your comment. Such elitist and snobbish comments come from those that are typically just poseurs, the true Ferrari fan that is an enthusiast and owner would typically not make such comments.

-- Michael

9. speedy pete

speedy pete Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    darkside of the moon
    Full Name:
    Pete B
    It all depends on your mood that day. If I want sure brute force in your face body builder power and styling I get in my 489 hp (at the rear wheels!) 1988 930. It will only go 150mph because of the 8:41 ring and pinion but it will suck your lungs out getting there. Or if I want to be surrounded by the most awesome sound at 7500 rpm in 2nd gear out come the 355 spider. But I most admitt since I got the 355, the 930 has been parked most of the time. For comfort I have a AMG CLK55 but again that thing has seen a lot of garage time since the 355 arrived. I just can't get enough of that Ferrari music at speed.

10. rjklein

rjklein Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    I have a 360, and I love this car. But when you buy a ferrari there are some things that you have to be " OK " with before you buy one.

What do I love about my 360?
    Great style
    Makes following F-1 more enjoyable
    love, love, love, the sound Tubi + test pipes=heaven
    Interior is very nice
    I find the build quality very good, no rattles.
    The company makes new models to love and follow
    Every time I get in the car, it makes me smile from ear to ear.

I also love porsche, and drive on every day. I just find porsche getting away from the race car feel, and more into options. Porsche also does not come out with a new model every five years or so. As for the 911, it is just one face lift after another. I love the 993, but do not care for the 996.

So the only person that can answer your question is you. What do you want in a car. If you tell us what you want in a car and what price range you want to be in, I am sure you will get all kinds of excellent feed back.

11. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    OK, I have also owned both. Its a case of 'Tutonic engineering' vs the passion that the Italians build into their cars. From a technical standpoint, Pcars are highly developed. Ferrari, however, is a 'way of life' and has intangibles that you cannot engineer into a car.

It is the difference between Ballet and Precision dancing. Champagne v Chardonnay. Living and Loving.

('nough said)

12. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Hugh
    Don't be so kind. Anyone who says:'Porshes Suck" is an idiot.
    Strap on a 917 or if you have really big one a 917-30. Plant your right foot and say: "Porsches Suck."

13. rjklein

rjklein Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Now, the Jalpa's looks are the most stunning. Does that mean that the 308 and 930 are not worth having? The 930 is easily the fastest and brakes are amazing . Does that mean the 308 and Jalpa are not worth having? The 308 is easily recognized as a Ferrari. But it's the slowest and the others handle better. Is it a piece of crap? Hell No. I love it.

I love the Jalpa's, and would love to owne a muri. The 930's are awsome. My neighbor had a DP 935 porsche and sold it, why I am not sure, but that car was awsome.

I think that true car people are devoted to cars, not car makers. There are so many cars that I want in my stable it is sick.

14. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Umm, Allan, I've driven Miuras and Daytonas, and neither will circle the other. Both fast, both outstanding design, but did things differently. My Daytona with 50-60k miles on it was still bulletproof. Miuras are not so hardy, sadly.

Same thing with Porsche. New TT's, GT3's leave me cold, but scare the crap out of yourself in an RSR, an old Turbo, a 993TT, or a 550, and then we'll talk. Jim G. is right...try a real Porsche then we'll see what/who is sucking.

Boxers/Briefs...next thread...

BTW, Bob Wallace could outdrive LOTS of current racers when he was at Lambo...like Benuzzi can today.

I remember a Urraco Bob did a looooong time ago that prob would kick turbo butt. Jim, see if he remembers that car....

Lee

15. Mr_ferrari

Mr_ferrari Guest

I believe it’s not the amount of money you spend for a particular car, and these days, cars are down right expensive with no exception of Ferrari & Porsche and which one’s better than the other. However living in America, “The land of the Free” we have our personal opinions to what we drive and like, if Porsche, Corvette, etc. floats your boat, than go for it. I have another thread which is currently active “What makes you a true Ferrari Fan?” and for me, it’s the passion, my heritage, very exotic, and of course down right fun to drive. Like many other folks who are very blessed including myself who could afford to own a Ferrari, Ferraris are a total different kind of car that no other car manufacture can duplicate. I’ve been a “Ferrarifrantic” ever since, day one, actually since age 5 and of course being Italian, the name, Ferrari was injected in my blood and no other car make came from my mouth other than Ferrari. I have to admit, I have driven a few different types of Porsches to see what the hype was, which my brother who like Porsche and owned a 930 Turbo, they all drove the same, and it wasn’t the same experience with my 308 GTS QV. I really believe I wasn’t missing anything by owning a Porsche or a Vet… Besides you don’t see to many Ferraris on the road however Porsche and Corvette are a “Dime-a-dozen”… Now it’s clear to me. I know the reason why I own a Ferrari, when I pass a car with kids in it; they are glued to the glass as I pass by. Now that feels real GOOD!

16. ILMAESTRO

ILMAESTRO Karting

Dec 29, 2002
    Alanlambo, I think I hit a sore point, I agree with you that the mondial T is not the best Ferrari but I wanted a 4 seater cabriolet and its the only one. As far as lambo are concerned you have your opinion I have mine and you calling me an idiot makes you look even more foolish! Everybody knows Lambos are not serious cars, beautifull machinery maybe but flimsy designs. Just ask almost any mechanic who knows these cars. That is why they were never put on a race track. I come from Europe and when I was a kid, many of my parent's friends were driving these cars, they bought one Lambo and that was it, then they went back to Ferrari or something else. To me the Lambo is just a show off automobile not much else. Yes the best one is indeed the Miura, no contest but even so, it's no Daytona! but at least one can open the windows!

As far the best sounding Ferrari, no question about it, its the daytona, by a wide margin I recommend any 3 series owner to drive or take a ride in one, no other car sounds like it!

17. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    I will only buy a ferrari if I can afford it on top of a GT/RS porsche of some kind, pref. NA(only a student at the moment-dad has a P). I admit they are too common, but this is for a reason-they are great all round cars. How long will a 360 clutch last? I'm not sure, but I doubt anymore than 20k miles. A 996 clutch(or any 911 clutch-heard of some people on 200k and still original clutch/gearbox/engine) will last 60k+ miles. The 911 design has become a bit plain recently, but a GT3 is pretty nice. I'll get an orange one when I'm older, as they look awesome in orange and will stand out from the over populated 911 crowd. Ferrari's are indeed far more beautiful IMO, the 360 is 10x better looking than a 996 TT. And this coming from a die hard P man.

18. vrus

vrus Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Richmond Hill
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Porsches do not suck!! I have no idea why people would make blatant statements like this...

Ferrari and Porsche are both awesome cars in their own respect.

While I love the lines and sounds that a Ferrari makes, it cannot compete with the shear power and reliability that a Porsche Turbo will give you.

I have owned/driven just about everything and respect all cars for their strengths, but also recognize what their weaknesses are.

You just need to understand how to appreciate each of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    He wants a car that doesn't exist: 360 Barchetta! LOL

a real Ferrari afficianado

20. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    You are just an idiot. Not only because of your rediculous Lambo opinions, but because of your Porsches Suck statement. I completely disagree on both counts, and believe you are a fool. An ignorant fool, who boasts of driving one of the ugliest, slowest, worst handling,worst braking, and least desirable cars to come from Ferrari, yet posts stupid comments on two of the greatest sports car makers in the world.

21. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    James: Agreed. But one's gotta assume that said idiot even knows what a 917 is. And that's being all too kind... Happy Holidays, by the way.

22. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Same to you and Yours!

23. ILMAESTRO

ILMAESTRO Karting

Dec 29, 2002
    Allanlambo, I don't know between us who is the idiot but I think it's not I. Furthermore, I never said anything bad about Porsches, I said just the opposite. I like both Ferraries and Porsches. I just don't like Lambos that's it they are for guys with VERY VERY SMALL WEEWEES. they are not real cars you can actually do something with. I guess you are one of those guys! I have a question do you really get lucky?

24. Jeru

Jeru Karting

Nov 16, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    #49 Jeru, Nov 26, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    When all personal preferences have been considered, and all Asian Poseurs and American pretenders have been set aside, enthusiasts are left with just two pure and uncompromised sports cars to ponder. There is the Porsche with its monorail handling, shapes akin to sculpture, and soul stirring performance. And there is the Ferrari, a nations identity, a name forever associated with the fastest drivers and racing machines, and an expensive chunk of expressive red metal that lends romance to a death wish.
    Still it’s the nuances -not the nuts and bolts- of a Ferrari that have always stirred our deepest emotions. It is about essence, It is about pace, handling, grip, acceleration, steering that is as quick as a thought, and driving a car that is so much steadier with its performance envelope than we will ever be.
    I am pleasured by the company of both.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I have to say that I love my 360. The build quality is significantly better than my 355 and my Porsche. The doors close with a more solid thud than any of the Mercedes I have owned as well. In terms of reliability, I have owned 2 Ferrari's and was never stuck, stranded and the cars never broke! My Porsche (2001 C2 Cab) had to be towed 3 times. I came close to getting a new 996TT X50 but after spending a few days with a 2003 used model, it just didn't feel right to me. The 996TT is a great car for the money (if you buy it used its about $100K for a 2003) but it doesn't come close to the 360.

A friend of mine races his Porsche (beefed up suspension, brakes and 500HP motor) and after spending about 10 minutes in my 360, he offered to pay me $10K over what I had just paid for the car. In his words "this car is unbelievable, I have to get one of these" He is now on the waiting list for a 360.