Ferrari Vs. Porsche or other sports cars | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Vs. Porsche or other sports cars

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ILMAESTRO, Nov 25, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    I like and appreciate all the top marques. Different models have different strongpoints and most of this is subjective. However, ferraris do have the best sound, porsche the reliability, and lambos wild looks. The best all-around everyday drivers car was/is the later 928's. Mine has the best driving environment i've seen and i have sat in most including the murcie and gallardo.
    Ferrari has great history along with porsche and nowadays has more variety in their sportscars because of one reason - FIATS deep pockets. Only porsche still stands on its own unlike ford/aston , chrysler/audi/lambo, and ferrari. And when the carrera GT starts appearing on US roads performance and wild looks along with reliability will be wearing the porsche badge. But lets enjoy them all.
    T

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

james...good comment on the 917k and 30.

you know it is the only real car missing in your stable...dont you?

the 3 greatest cars of all time:

p3/4
    gt-40

PERIOD!!!!

happy holliday jim.

pcb

3. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Happy Holiday to you as well!
    (You're right about the 917)
    Check out: "A French Kiss With Death" (The making of the movie LeMans) It's a great book on the 917, McQueen, and obsession.

4. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Isn't it true that the old long tail cars, made so much downforce, and created such a tremendous vaccum behind them, that they'd literally sucu other cars off the pavement?

5. johnbob

johnbob Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Oklahoma
    I have owned 3 Ferraris and still currently have 2 an "86 TR and an "01 360 Spider. Both have proven very reliable, at this point I would call the TR bullet proof. None of the 3 cars were troublesome by any means. I also have a 427 Cobra (real CSX car) with a 625 horse 427. While it's performance is in a word "crazy" I mostly opt to drive the Spider first, TR second, and Cobra third. So much talk about performance and 0-60 times, the Ferraris are just plain fun to drive. The 360 has it all, the sound, the looks, tracks like it's on rails and yet keeps you involved. Ferraris have personality, they are unique. How many Corvettes, and Porshes do you see in a day, they are like rings and watches everyone has one. The new GT-40, wow a Mustanng engine with a blower, now that is a real engineering feat, HA HA! But look at the 360 215 cubic inches, naturally aspirated and it pumps out just shy of 400 usable horsepower. And when it comes to styling I guess Porshe and Ford consider 40 year old designs cutting edge? The new Porshes are pretty but they look like updated 911's to me, the GT-40 no comment necessary.
    Ferrari sets the standards that all the others try to meet, this has been the case for the last 40 years. Read the mags, every new car is described as a competetor to the 360, why don't they compare the GT-40 to the Enzo. The Gt is Fords flagship isn't it? Remember the 360 is the "entry level" Ferrari. Sorry to go off like this but I don't think I can bear to read one more article on how wonderful the GT-40 is, a 40 year old design, rushed out in less than 2 years with a Mustang engine and a huffer.

6. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Tr's bullet proof?
    The timing belt in mine snapped at 6K, a wheel came off at speed, the chassis cracked, the dash warped , the ac died sereral times, I could go on.
    BTW real 427 Cobra's don't have 625hp.

7. johnbob

johnbob Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Oklahoma
    Humor me, what does BTW mean? My CSX has a 625 hp 427, not too hard to do with a roller cam. The point is fast does not automatically = fun, the Cobra can wear you out in an hour, I can drive the 360 all day. My first drive in the TR was 1,100 miles in two days and was a pleasure. You have a point though no matter how reliable the manufacturer may be they all have service depatments full of cars requiring repair. I once owned a Toyota that I was afraid to drive out of town, but had several that I literally drove and abused for thousands of miles without a hickup.

8. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    BTW= By The Way.
    I'm sure your "CSX" has 625HP.
    The one's I was referring to ended at CSX 3360 and they didn't but even the 289's had enough to beat Ferrari in 65.

9. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Of course i get lucky! Ask your wife!

10. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Reliability is an interesting concept. You ask how long will a clutch last. Bring me a 911 and I could burn through that clutch in a day. I have owned two and went through the clutches in both. Does it mean they are flimsy - no. I just drove them very hard. I would say that if you drive any car hard, you will need to maintain it and fix it. You could buy a 360 - baby it - and never go through the clutch. In general a Porsche is probably more reliable than a Ferrari. It should be with 40,000+ built every year vs. 4,200.

11. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    Wow, the new ****** on the board is even more annoying than Allan!

Who'da thunk it?

12. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Hugh
    You'd love this book as well. It goes into all of that and how without the moveable aero devices they were undrivable, so the FIA looked away.

13. ILMAESTRO

ILMAESTRO Karting

Dec 29, 2002
    I agree with JohnBob, these are all fine automobiles, the Cobra is from another era, and is still the fastest thing on the road even today! (at least in acceleration) but it is very demanding from its driver.

Napolis, most of the original Cobras have had upgrades done to their engines. A 427 side oiler with the dual Holeys medium riser intake manifold but otherwise stock will put close to 500HP with a huge amount of tork, all this in a car that weights barely 2000lbs. With the right tires (and Driver) you are talking 0 to 60 in low 3s' and 0 to 100 in about 11s. no other street car comes close, not even the Enzo!

14. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

Their you go!Talking out your a$$ again!

15. ILMAESTRO

ILMAESTRO Karting

Dec 29, 2002
    Thank you Allanlambo, I just checked your profile, Its exactly what I was talking about above! You are the archtype Lambo owner, unfortunately for the brand. Small WeeWee definitely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
    Please get rid of the stripe its horrible.

16. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    LOL! There you go with dick on the brain!

So funny how you can claim to be so knowledgeable, yet post a 0-100mph time of 11 seconds as being untouchable by an Enzo. Well lets see Moron, the Enzo runs 0-100 in the mid 6 second range, Lambos run in the 8 second range.

Id rather push a Pinto than drive a Mondial.

17. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I don't know Allen..pushing a pinto can get rather tireing I would think. I think I would drive the Mondial...but then again I'm a lazy S.O.B!! :)

18. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Well sorry, but Allan is quite right. 11 seconds to 100mph is actually quite slow, so what you said was pretty dumb, don't you think? I've discovered that if you're going to say anything on this forum, it pays to get your facts right.

19. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Original Cobra's are fine cars. JohnBob may correct me if I'm wrong but his isn't one.
    Only a real idiot would modify an original Cobra.
    I'm quite familiar with 427's. There's a nice original one in my MK-IV.
    On a June day 36 years ago it did fine.
    None of this changes the fact that anyone who claims that "Lambo's suck" is an idiot as well.

20. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I could be wrong but I think Johnbob has a "csx" I think they are new cobras built with original parts by carrol shelby. Not the old 65's ect.
    And stock cobras are fast but they wont beet a Enzo or carrara GT.

http://www.sandersonsales.com/

21. johnbob

johnbob Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Oklahoma
    My Cobra is a CSX manufactured by Shelby American in Las Vegas. It is an Aluminum Body car, chassis and frame manufactured in Poland (please refrain from the digs as the quality of the components and labor is very good). The rest of the componenets are licensed by Shelby American with final assembly taking place in Vegas. The engine is one of the new all aluminum 427 produced by Shelby Enterprises in Ca. I had mine machined and assembled by "Gilliam and Bray" (Gilliam and Bray are independants who have competed in NHRA since the 60's have a wall full of the man with the tire trophys). I admire these guys since they compete with no sponsorship and have been National Champs in thier class numerours times. Back to the Cobra. I have wanted an original since the 60"s, they have always been out of reach for me, however as a result of my passion for these cars I have managed to be around them for the past 25 years. A fellow (Connie Moore) that lives very close by allowed me to spend a bunch of time around his comp car during it's restoration, and another resto shop close by also allowed me to document the restorations of several. I have hundreds of photos of these cars. Well back to the CSX car, I was not impressed by the glass copies but the aluminum cars produced by Shelby are so close to the originals it is amazing. Almost every componenet is an exact knock-off of the originals, in fact there is not a component that does not interchange. A few of the parts have been modified to remedy some of the problems associated with the originals, but short of that these cars are virtually identical. I could have paid $300K for an SC car but I opted to keep my two Ferraris and get one of the aluminum CSX cars. I am in it for about a third and have no regrets. The car drives just like an original except that being lighter and more powerful it is "crazier".
    Not trying to mislead or be rude, like the rest of you I am somewhat passionate about cars. The MSO and the dashboard are signed by Carrol and that is authenitic enough for me.

22. ILMAESTRO

ILMAESTRO Karting

Dec 29, 2002
    Originally Posted by Napolis
    Original Cobra's are fine cars. JohnBob may correct me if I'm wrong but his isn't one.
    Only a real idiot would modify an original Cobra.
    I'm quite familiar with 427's. There's a nice original one in my MK-IV.
    On a June day 36 years ago it did fine.
    None of this changes the fact that anyone who claims that "Lambo's suck" is an idiot as well.

Napolis, let me correct you about original Cobras:
    First there are very few originals since a lot of them were raced during the years and either extensively modified or crashed.
    Second, it is about impossible to tell if one has the original motor since Shelby did not keep a good record of what went where.
    The only thing that really matters with an original car is its history, and that all the pieces on it are period correct.
    I had an MK-IV as well, just sold it. It was AK02, the second prototype made with a 351 motor. OK car but short on power.

The CSX aluminum cars are indeed exact reproductions of the real thing and actually better much much straighter, they are made by Kirkham in Poland in an old mig Factory. Shelby buys the rolling chassis from them. The fiberglass versions are made in South Africa. The aluminum 427 side oiler is made by his company.

23. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    #73 allanlambo, Nov 28, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. ILMAESTRO

ILMAESTRO Karting

Dec 29, 2002
    For the record, I would like to clarify my opinion about lambos, I do like the early front engine V-12 models and I love the Miura, it has to be one of the prettiest car ever built despite some mechanical shortcomings. I do not care much for the Countach and subsequent models, they are flashy and unpractical. V-8 models are uninteresting and cheaply made at best. No comparaison with let say a Dino or a 308 of the same vintage. Prices reflect my opinion as well!
    Modern Lambos are Audi designs and as such are supposed to be very good, but they have nothing in common outside of the name and the somewhat uncommon shape with the previous models.

All the past V-12 models shared the same motor issued from the 350GT of 1964. In different bore and stroke iterations. With some more developpement, It could have been a very good motor but the company was always short of money and short on R&D. This is why they are considered fragile and unreliable. I said earlier how they tested a particular motor, they ran it all out for an hour on the bench, If it made it, it was ready for production, if it did not make it, they beef up the part that failed.
    The story is that Enzo once told Ferruccio to go back and make tractors for which he was more suited. Truth or false I don't know. Take the early Miuras, which had a common sump between the motor and the gearbox, you missed a gear and goodby to the motor. It was corrected later on with the SV. Interestingly, a lot of older models have received the separate sump and gearbos set up. The gearbox arrangement of the Miura is rather odd and ferrari used a much better and much more reliable system with the Boxer which in my view is a much much better automobile.

I do not hate lambos, I am just not a fan, this is my personal opinion. I just thing there are a lot of better cars out there, Ferrari being one of them!

25. ILMAESTRO

ILMAESTRO Karting

Dec 29, 2002
    Hey, Allanlambo, this is a good picture of you!