Ferrari Watch Production Numbers - Longines vs Girard Perregaux vs Panerai vs etc | FerrariChat

Ferrari Watch Production Numbers - Longines vs Girard Perregaux vs Panerai vs etc

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Brian A, May 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Are there any production statistics (or guestimates) regarding how many Ferrari watches each of the major Ferrari watch manufacturers produced over the years?

That is, estimates of the total number of Ferrari Longines vs Ferrari Girard Perregaux vs Ferrari Panerai, etc watches that were manufactured?

I am most curious about how many Girard Perregaux 8020s were made. Personally, I consider Girard Perregaux to have produced the most beautiful of all Ferrari watches.

(I also asked the above same question in that wonderful Ferrari Watch Partnership History thread in the "Collectables and Models" forum: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/collectables-literature-models-sponsored-amalgam-collection/412638-ferrari-watches-thread-vintage-chronographs-partnership-manufacturers.html)

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    #2 darth550, May 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Don't know the actual numbers but I bet they do, and they regret every one of them...

Licensing the horse hasn't exactly gone the way these brands may have wanted it to.

Oh, and BTW, IMO, the FP Journe Centigraphe Souverain F was the nicest F watch but it was very exclusive and only available by special order. I think they made something like 6 or 10 of them.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    #3 Brian A, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
    It is an interesting question. Looking back now, with so many “Ferrari Lifestyle” products in the marketplace, it is easy to feel these watches are cheesy crap.

To me, it is a matter of degree. The Girard Perregaux partnership seems to have started with good intentions; letting a struggling watchmaker build watches for an esoteric niche market. GPs are certainly not flashy -- unlike what many Ferrari lifestyle products have now (d)evolved to be. Its amazing that many of the GP Ferrari watches did not even have Ferrari on the face; only hidden on the back.

I have read that the Panerai partnership did not go well, but I have never read an explanation about what the problem was. Do you know any of the inside scoop on this? To my eye, they do look the most like Ferrari lifestyle branding exercises, so maybe that is what went wrong.

Frankly, I like certain GP Ferrari watches A LOT and, as a Ferrari automobile owner, I would feel no conflict or pretense wearing an elegant watch with the horsie on it.

4. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I had a GP F1-047 when I had my 355 (model matching) and loved it. Very easy on the eyes. The sad thing is/was that one would be lucky to get .25 on the dollar for one now, and they are all used.

Panerais are worse. NOS is probably ~.20 now.

5. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I ran across a 2013 article by “Watch Insider” providing educated guestimates of the annual production numbers for most of the major Swiss and German watch manufacturers. Thought I'd post a link.

Estimated watches sold and estimated turnover of the major watch brands in Switzerland and Germany (09.06.2013)

From the above, the total production in 2013 for each of the 4 houses that once made Ferrari watches are:

Longines – 1,000,000 watches / year (average price $1,300)
    Girard Perregaux – 13,000 watches / year (average price $6,500)
    Officine Panerai – 70,000 watches / year (average price $4,800)
    Hublot – 35,000 watches / year (average price $11,200)

The $/watch is just revenue/volume (“turn-over” divided by “pieces”).

Now the questions are, how much has production rates changed over the years and what fraction of manufacturing went to making Ferrari watches.

6. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    This issue continues to intrigue me.

The number of used watches for sale may be an indicator of the number of watches manufactured. Using the listings on the Chrono24 website, there are:
    GP: 2,320 watches for sale with 130 Ferrari watches = 6%
    Panerai: 7,486 watches for sale with 132 Ferrari watches = 2%
    Hublot: 10,146 watches for sale with 274 Ferrari watches = 3%

Hublot still manufactures Ferrari watches, so their numbers are just to-date; not final. I can’t remember why I listed Longines (6,584 for sale with 0 Ferrari).

If these volumes and ratios are about right, that means:
    GP: 13,000 watches per year x 11 years (1994 to 2004) x 6% = 8,600 total Girard Perregaux Ferrari watches.
    Panerai: 70,000 watches per year x 6 years (2005 to 2010) x 2% = 8,400 total Panerai Ferrari watches.
    Hublot: 35,000 watches per year x 6.75 years (2011 to present) x 3% = 7,100 total Hublot Ferrari watches to-date.

This is a surprise; more GP and Hublot and fewer Panerai than I expected.

As for further analysis, … I give up. Feel free to poke holes in the (semi-)logic.

7. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    There exists the rarer Girard-Perregaux Ferrari World Time Chronograph complication made specifically to commemorate Ferrari USA's 50th anniversary in 2004 of which only 100 numbered examples were released by GP. It does feature the yellow Cavallino Rampante at the 12 o'clock position of its dial whereas earlier versions did not. The pictured watch is the one I was quite blessed to have purchased in 2021.

They're very rare indeed and very difficult to source. Last one available was on eBay offered by an Austrian watch collector who owned all versions. The main difference of the 50th anniversary model is the outer ring is in gray rather than black for the earlier F2003-GA and F1-075 versions and its back commemorates Ferrari's 50th anniversary in the USA in a beautiful flag design.

Truth be told, I've found the GP movement to maintain its accuracy much better than any Rolex I'd owned in the past. I also own a Panerai-Ferrari Rattrapante chronograph. BTW, I've been collecting watches since 1986 and turned it into a side business to finance the exotic wristwatches I wanted to keep.

8. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    My GP 250TdF has also been more precise than Rolex. My fav watch which I bought from new and wore since new while doing various activities like traveling, working on race cars etc. Still wear it (4-5x per week) and has not been opened.

Still have a soft spot for the Ferrari-era GP watches. Very underrated IMO. Luca, Schumi/F1 championship runs, Challenge series peak. Great period.