Ferrari watches - quality? | FerrariChat

Ferrari watches - quality?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Tim1137, Jan 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #1 Tim1137, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Recently I have become obsessed with watches! While I don't own any expensive ones yet, I am starting my collection and was wondering about the quality and the general consensus on buying one of the Ferrari branded watches. Currently my first watch purchase was a plain Movado museum face, and my next big watch purchase will probobly be a Breitling, but for now I want to buy another couple lower end watches for everyday use.

Specifically this one interests me. I think I can pick it up for a few hundred bucks at my local watch outlet. Is this worth the money, or would it be an embarassment in even the most basic of watch collections?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Madaboutred

Madaboutred Karting

Aug 10, 2013
    Athens Greece
    Full Name:
    Aris Thomazos
    Very friendly comment. Please read with an open mind.

Looks like a Casio.
    Personally, if I ever met you, this watch would be negative rep for you.

Don't waste your money on sometging that is named after a brand without having any relation with it's history or philosophy except the logo.

To me, this is equal to a fake rolex.

Sorry if this seems impolite.

3. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I personnaly have 3 Ferrari watches I bought when they had the SWISS MADE on them which they don't have anymore. I don't know if their quality have changed but I like mine. They look nicer in real. I don't have high end watches to compare but I'm not disapointed with the Ferrari ones. My stainless steel is my daily Watch for over a year now and still look and fonction like new. I bought them all in rebate and around $150 a piece but at full retail I think it would have been too expensive.

4. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I love watches and have about a dozen or so... Rolex - Chopard - etc...

so buy what you like - I have cheap ones as well as expensive ones... I wear then as the mood suits.. its for you not anyone else.

5. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

#5 Drive550PFB, Jan 16, 2014
    I have a few expensive watches--a couple of Rolexes, a Patek, Jaeger LeCoutre, etc. I also own two of the Ferrari Watches. I have no problem wearing either of them. The yellow faced one is very good here in Charleston, with all the heat, humidity and watersports.

I don't own a Casio, but last time I checked, a Casio didn't have a Cavallino on its face.

6. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i got both of those watches when i was in the mm tribute.
    i gave the waterproof one to my dad, and the other one is waiting for my son to demonstrate enough responsibility to wear it. both nice.

7. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
  8. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    These watches really aren't collectible, they're mostly mass market to sell a watch with a Ferrari logo. That being said, if you like it, then I see nothing wrong with them. I have a lot of watches, both low and high end, and I wear what I like, which includes one of these.

"A few hundred" might be too much. The Ferrari Store has regular discounts on various items at times and I believe these have sold for 40-60% off list price. See this thread for discount codes when they're available.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/fine-watches-jewelry-clothes/383710-half-off-ferrari-scuderia-watches-16.html

9. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thanks guys,

I think I'll buy it in the next couple months when I find myself at the outlet again. I like it myself and I suppose that's what matters! As long as its not junk

I only see a few watches listed on the Ferrari store website at the moment?

10. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    I have one and I absolutely love it. I got a solid black one that simply has the cavallino at the 12 position. It has been my daily wear watch and doesnt raise a lot of attention like some of their choices do.

I got it right at a year ago and it was swiss made.

PDG

11. Argento360

Argento360 Karting

Mar 9, 2006
    CA,AZ,NV
    Full Name:
    John
    I have this one: http://www.automotorblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Ferrari-Paddock-Chronograph-1.jpg. I got it for about $350 when FOCNJ had a sale online.

I like it mainly because of it's overall look, functionality, the Ferrari shield logos/details on the case, band, crown and face and the fact that it's Swiss Made (which means it's not only a Swiss movement, but also assembled in Switzerland).

For me it's a good everyday casual watch (but I'm also ok too with a Casio for the right occasion, e.g. travel, hiking, etc.) and to me it looks great.... but only if it's nowhere near my Breitling ;-).

Different choices for different occasions/moods, etc.

12. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    #12 simon klein, Jan 16, 2014
    This was given to me by a grateful Club member when I lent him my 365.
    I'd put the offer to the "Carby"mob who were having a rally in Tasmania.
    This was 2012.
    We,as a group of 2 cars and 3 drivers,left Brisbane and drove to Melbourne.....one very quick trip,using "the roads less travelled"
    Bill,the lendee,gave me this watch at a soiree'the night(GP night,actually)before we departed on the ferry to Tassie.
    It a Swiss movement,Scuderia rosso chronograph.

13. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    Some of them look pretty good. I was tempted to get the old school Daytona one the other day.

14. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    It's important that the watch really means something to you. It may be a special feature or something about the history of that watch or model of watch. But the important thing is to know what your watch is about and to truly appreciate it for what it is. Wearing something just because it seems to be cool or in vogue is akin to posing in my books. If you truly understand and appreciate the watch it becomes part of you otherwise it's kinda like wearing a shirt that looks like it's wearing you instead. :D

Not every watch you like will have it but the other important thing is to try and find watches that feature sapphire crystals and not mineral crystals or worse, glass. Sapphire is twice as hard as steel, 8 times harder than mineral crystal. Sapphire will etch steel and will resist scratches very well.

15. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    i really love watches and i really love Ferrari but i dont own a Ferrari watch.
    my small collection of about 20 mechanic chronographs does not need a branded cheap watch.

maybe sometimes i would add a Girard Perregaux or Panerai - Ferrari watch.

16. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Ferrari watches off the website are OK at discount prices. I have two, Scuderia SS and GT Auto...the auto doesn't keep time worth a damn.

17. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    ARFFFF!! they are bad...
    don t lost your money for nothing. better! buy Jamon Serrano better! :))

18. 911&F430

911&F430 Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    Atlanta
    #18 911&F430, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    Tom, where aren't you on this forum?! hahaha Talking about this at Cappuccinos and Ferraris today made me want to come on here and see what others' thoughts were on the Movado made Scuderia Ferrari watches.

Here is my contribution to this thread:
    I bought this watch last month at the Ferrari store in Maranello after the Ferrari Factory Tour; although I think the watch looks better in person than on the website.
    Ferrari Race Day watch - Ferrari Store

I had been wanting to get a black watch with yellow trim to match my Ferrari and had my eye on an Omega Speedmaster Racing. https://www.omegawatches.com/watches/speedmaster/racing/product/ When I saw this Scuderia Ferrari watch though I immediately liked it better. Although the Omega is a very nice watch and being both an Omega and a mechanical watch it would have more cachet I just liked how this one looked better and it had Ferrari branding and I would have the memory of buying it in Maranello. I agree with what Tom said, "Buy what you like....it's for you, not anyone else."

For the price, I think you can't beat it. It has a lot of little design touches that make it feel like a more expensive watch: the detail of the face and subdials, Ferrari shields not only on the face but on the crown, on the clasp, at the end of the strap that goes into the keeper as well as on the inside of the strap.

Retail price was in the three hundred something Euro range but with the 20% discount for Factory Tour members I paid somewhere in the high two hundred Euros.

I have skinny wrists so it is tough to find a watch that looks right and this one fits perfectly.
    I'll be interested to see how durable the black finish is over time. The Ferrari website says it is ion plated so hopefully it will be quite durable.
    As an added bonus, the main purpose of the trip was European Delivery of a Porsche GT4 in Racing Yellow with black trim so the watch matches that car too.
    It looks good and feels good and so far I love it.

19. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    + 1

The good ones was made by Longines, Cartier.

20. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #20 Martin308GTB, Oct 6, 2016
    For me the one and only acceptable Ferrari watch is my GP. Picture taken on the evening after I came home from picking it up at the factory from a complete overhaul and rebuild.

Best Regards
    Martin

21. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    I bought a Ferrari watch from the F store when they offered me a 60% discount code, paid 250 sold it on-line for 550, while I had it, worked good ,CF face, steel band, kinda wish I kept it, model not available anymore,,,

22. 1stFerrari@71

1stFerrari@71 Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2013
    Commerce, Texas
    Full Name:
    Joel Jacobs
    I too have a GP Ferrari commissioned watch made in 1994. Original cost was quite expensive. I see them online for prices from $2,500 to $4,000.

I paid a bit more than $2K for mine but sent it back to GP in Switzerland for rebuild. That was another $2K, but for a Ferrari commissioned certified chronograph I consider the $4K I have invested to be worth the money. It's similar to the GP posted on page 1, but mine has the yellow face.

23. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I have exactly the same, Martin; mine has a blue background, and has a brown alligator band...

Rgds

24. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Bruno,

aren't they nice?
    Do you wear yours regularly? Prior to the rebuild I wore mine every day. I purchased it used with some signs of wear and even had it on my wrist in my workshop (o.k. sometimes)
    After the rebuild it looked like new and since back then I wear it hardly anymore. Must be similar like owning a freshly nut and bolt restored car.
    Today I wonder, whether I went over the top with the complete rebuild and should have preferred some mechanical maintenance.
    At least the weekend in the swiss Jura while delivering my watch personally was nice. As well as the day when I picked it up again.

Best Regards
    Martin

25. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Looks nice with black background, but why did they rebuilt so much?