Ferrari watches - quality? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari watches - quality?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Tim1137, Jan 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    What do you mean exactly with 'so much'?
    Anyway I wanted to have it 'like new'. Internally it didn't hold the time anymore exactly.

Externally it had a lot of tiny dents on the rim around the glass, which is very sensitive and some scratches on the glass.

The big surprise was, that the final invoice at La-Chaux-de-Fonds was significantly less, than the quote I got from a german concessionaire.

Best
    Martin

2. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    I read in the same page a similar opinion, but if the watch was guilty in 90' I can understand you very well...nothing is better to used something as new.

The pleasure is to go back to looking for it..:))

3. 1stFerrari@71

1stFerrari@71 Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2013
    Commerce, Texas
    Full Name:
    Joel Jacobs

I wear my GP daily... the factory rebuild came with a one-year warranty.

Joel

4. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    You really encourage me :)
    Best
    Martin

5. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I bought one. I have the 'Gran Premio' model with black face and black leather strap, in bronze colored case. Not the chronograph version. I thought the face looked too busy. I wear it pretty much every day, except for client meetings when I go for the Movado Museum Face.

I didn't buy a collector piece or an investment. I bought a watch. As for quality, it's made by Movado, so I have no concerns there.

6. 1stFerrari@71

Jun 21, 2013
    Commerce, Texas
    Full Name:
    Joel Jacobs

I've worn chronographs since 1972... I like the "busy" face, but understand that's a personal choice.

My GP isn't an investment either. I bought it because I like it and it fits perfectly with my passion for my 328 GTB. It's really well-built and I enjoy wearing it daily... just as my 328 is almost a daily driver. I think car and watch compliment one another splendidly. :)

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    PLease seek and read the fine Watches Thread in this very section.

To summarize, any vintage watch Enzo gifted a driver is collectible, the Cartier watches from the 80s are "ok" but not valuable..

The modern Chinese watches with a sticker....meh..

I like the modern Schumacher watches, they are nice time pieces.
    Recently I have simply gone back to TAG

Like Steve McQueen.

Watches say a lot about you, as this post shows be sure you know "what" it is!

8. Gator1

Gator1 Karting

Sep 23, 2014
    Westport, Ct.
    Full Name:
    Herm
    mine is a Panerai 00026. Great watch.

9. 1stFerrari@71

Jun 21, 2013
    Commerce, Texas
    Full Name:
    Joel Jacobs
    Yes, they are. Too bad mere mortals can't afford them. :)

10. 1stFerrari@71

Jun 21, 2013
    Commerce, Texas
    Full Name:
    Joel Jacobs

To be picky - McQueen never wore a TAG. He wore a Heuer. TAG didn't come on the scene in Heuer history until 1985.

After, like an idiot, I gave away my Autavia (mechanical, self-winding Heuer chronograph) I replaced it with one of the TAG electric watches - big mistake on my part. The electronic TAGs, for me, didn't deliver the service the mechanical watch did.

As mentioned in previous posts in this thread, today, I wear a 1994 GP commissioned by Ferrari.

11. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    BTW, our watches are simply called GP 8020 with variations in face style, face colours and bracelets. And of course case (stainless steel, gold)
    Do you have the original box and documents? I have it, but the leather inside the box is disintegrating.

Best Regards
    Martin

12. 1stFerrari@71

Jun 21, 2013
    Commerce, Texas
    Full Name:
    Joel Jacobs
    Martin,

I have the papers but not the box and you are correct re: GP 8020. Mine has the metal bracelet.

Joel

13. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    I have two GP/Ferrari watches and really like them a lot. Two downsides, however:

1. Very expensive to service/repair (much like a Ferrari itself); and

2. If you're in the US, you'd likely have to deal w/ GP/USA for said service.

If mine break, they'll just go back in the box because I can't currently afford a $2K rebuild at the Swiss factory, and I refuse to deal w/ GP/USA (they were GREAT in the early 2000's, but got new management in 2010 and went straight into the toilet (IMHO, of course...).

(in fact, even if I *could* afford the Swiss factory rebuild, it's doubtful I would - just on general principles....)

Good luck with whatever you decide.

gp

(p.s. - I think there's a whole thread on the GP/Ferrari watches, and if you scroll through, you'll see my two in there somewhere....)

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, that's a good point!

We can be picky in the watch discussion!

I find much the same, my TAGS that are self winding are one experience, it's usually an electric I grab out of the box, as it's working!!

My other watches run the range...

Cartier Ferrari Chronograph I have owned, since new..

A judges watch from some estate sale (it's self winding so dead all the time.)

Swatches, tons of them, Limelight, Crayola Metrica (reward offered to anyone that can find me a band!!)

Today I have the TAG Formula 1 plain white dial, no Chrono......and the date is wrong.
    I just don't have the energy to get all the details correct....

If memory serves, I bought it from a Grid Girl, who wore it the one event then tossed it to eBay!!!
    It came as new...

15. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    is it allowed to mention here :),that besides my GP I also have an early (1975) Orfina Porsche Design chronograph?

Best
    Martin

16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Should they ever fail you, I will take over the maintenance ! LOL!
    It's like the cars I guess...:D :D :D

17. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

I have one of these as well in black with the steel band. The best quality I've experienced thus far. I don't intend on buying any more of them. I had the Cartier Formula chrono TR watch for many years. It was very cool and unique looking but was a heap of crap in terms of quality if you ask me. And it was nothing more than an 80s seiko watch branded by the formula brand.

18. 911&F430

911&F430 Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    Atlanta

Of course! I notice, at least here locally, that a lot of Ferraristi are Porschephiles as well.

19. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    #44 Ferrari 308 GTB, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  20. rmuecke

rmuecke Rookie

Jul 22, 2009
    Big Canoe, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Randy Muecke
    I own several Cartier Ferrari Formula watches . Two are stainless- one with bracelet and one on strap with deployment buckle. I am looking for information about the third which is solid 18K yellow gold chronograph, white dial, and is marked 56 of 60. I purchased it from Fred Repass in 1998. Fred said the Pope got number 1. From what I read the Pope had several. I am looking for information about this particular series. Who received them? They were not sold commercially. I have never seen another one mentioned anywhere like this. Thanks for any information you might have.
    Randy

21. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    You judge people by the watch they wear?