Ferrari Will Turbocharge Its V12, Factory Sources Say...??? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Will Turbocharge Its V12, Factory Sources Say...???

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by JTSE30, Sep 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Complete opposite? So that means rear-mid engined. Flowing and pure means similar looking to 296 GTB (much like the Boxer was a bigger more mature looking 308). ;) :)

2. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    No :).

manya81 likes this.
  3. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Ooooooo....intriguing! So you’re saying it has curves like the 296 then...
    :D

manya81 likes this.
  4. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    So so so much better !

350MH83, 9nb, manya81 and 1 other person like this.
  5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I love you man. :p

manya81 likes this.
  6. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    :D

7. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    I thought that was more or less clear.

8. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I guess that means one more Ferrari for me!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    That's a pity.

red passion and jpalmito like this.
  10. Forza Scuderia

Forza Scuderia Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2015
    Sounds like it’s going to be a bigger, more muscular Roma.

Gianfranco341 likes this.
  11. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    The interesting points regarding possible future Ferrari V12 turbo engine are:

1) How many turbos there will be? 3 cylinders per turbo (4 turbos) is the optimal solution performance wise, followed by 4 cylinders per turbo, but the latter does not fit to V12. 6 cylinders per turbo (2 turbos) would be better for packaging but not as efficient.

2) What would be displacement? Optimal cylinder size is 0.5 liters, so optimal engine size would be 6 liters. It could also share components with the current 3-litre V6. But is that too big engine for a turbo charged engine trying to reduce emissions? How small they could make the V12? I suppose it would have to be bigger than 4-litre V8 to make any sense in the portfolio. Then again, I assume Ferrari V8 will die soon anyway. Perhaps 5-litre V12 turbo then?

3) Is this engine going to be equipped with the system described in recent Ferrari patent application where twin spark plugs are combined with pre-ignition chamber technology?

12. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    what about the new icona? does it look that good?

13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Not really. It just fits into the production planning of many manufacturers (with 3 cylinder you have a 1.5 litre engine, with 4 a 2.0l and with 6 a 3 litre, with the same basic design), that's why it has been propagated by many manufacturers, mostly German. There isn't an optimal capacity, per se.

14. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    Well, I don't know the details of the german study, but surely 0.5 liters is just about right and not only because what you mentioned:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15358174/why-0-5-liter-cylinders-will-soon-dominate-automotive-engine-design/

This is intentionally quite far fetched, but BMW who has been most committed to this 0.5 cylinder size is now the most sustainable automotive company. But definitely they have made some right analyses and decisions to get where they are now.

Ferrari too has moved to favour 0.5 litre cylinder size. Only their V12 has overgrown from 0.5 litre in search of a competitive power.

15. aobao1993

aobao1993 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2017
  16. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    After studying turbo charging a bit more, I think two twin-scroll turbos would be a sensible option for V12.

Notice that Ferrari's latest V8 engines have twin-scroll turbos in place while the new V6 is using mono-scroll turbos. It does not make sense to use twin-scroll turbo for a 3-cylinder bank or any other uneven cylider count.

17. ohno

ohno Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2009
    #42 ohno, Oct 28, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    To me, the Sp 80 is a pure masterpiece in modern automotive art, just like Victor in another approach.“
    (Source: 2nd Icona/Thread: 2020 F40 Icona ...Its Coming, Get Excited!!!!)

in my eyes, in a good way !“
    (Source: 812 replacement/Thread: Ferrari Will Turbocharge Its V12, Factory Sources Say...???)

It is the complete opposite of the 812, so fluid and pure.“

(Source: 812 replacement/Thread: Ferrari Will Turbocharge Its V12, Factory Sources Say...???)

So so so much better !“

Let's say they did the best they could with the concept, and there's kind of a more classic approach. it should appeal to those who are not opposed to the concept.“

(Source: New FUV/Thread: SUV Lamborghini did it will Ferrari be the next one?)

He did the best he could do given the specifications, and that s very good overall.“

(Source: New FUV/Thread: SUV Lamborghini did it will Ferrari be the next one?)

I'm totally surprised! Is this really the same person who always criticized F. Manzoni and the Ferrari Centro Stile? Well, if this person already sees the Ferrari Design so positively, we can certainly expect absolute masterpieces in the future... :D

18. ohno

ohno Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2009
    “From Saul to Paul“ (as Christians would say). The comments are now balanced and your subtle criticism is understandable.
    I like this new style!