FerrariChat.com Car Poster. | Page 4 | FerrariChat

FerrariChat.com Car Poster.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by dm_n_stuff, Apr 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Exotic_Car_Guy

Exotic_Car_Guy Karting

Apr 2, 2003
    California, Carmel
    Full Name:
    Gil Lucero
    I notice just a few vintage cars on the poster. Whose is the oldest?
    My Miura is a 1968.
    Gil

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

1963 250 GTE is the oldest I can recall.

3. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Dave,
    Thanks for putting this all together. Looks great and supports a great cause as well!! I'll say it again....It's people like you who make the Ferrari community such a great thing to be a part of!!
    Thanks again,
    John

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

WOW!!!

John. Thanks for the support, yours will go out first!!!!!!

Dave

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Dave -

Thanks a zillion! I just sent my PayPal to you.

A highschool classmate of mine has been diagnosed with ALS, so I can appreciate the cause and hope you get lots of Fchat support on this effort.

Best Regards,
    Daniel

6. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Thank you Dave - This is so great that I ordered 3! :)

Thanks a million for putting this together & also donating the $$. Guys like you are what this community is all about.

Is the calendar next? :)

7. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    What a neat idea. Unfortunately, the comments about copyrights and trademarks are all true. I have a file cabinet full of letters from both Porsche and BMW regarding these seemingly rediculous issues.

The best analogy I can use is a can of Coke. When you buy a can of Coke, you own the can of Coke, but that doesn't give you the right to make a poster or calendar (or to even use it in a commercial venture like a movie) without clearing it first. It's the same thing with your car - you can't use it in a commercial venture without clearing it with the company first.

There are exceptions. General use does apply. For instance, you can use a pickup truck in a commercial without clearing with Ford (or whomever makes the truck). But you can't show the Ford logo. Porsche is unique, as they have trademarked the 911 sillouette. Thus, their claims are that you cannot show the 911 in full form in any commercial venture. On our site, you will not find a picture of the 911 in full view (on our catalog side - they don't seem to care about the photo galleries of customer's cars).

There are several lawsuits going on right now with Porsche (and VW). VW is actually a lot worse, I hear from direct sources. I know many people who have been sued by Porsche and lost. Small guys, that were making stuff and selling it on eBay, etc - no BS here, they do go after *everyone*. That is why I try to stay off their radar.

Anyways, back to the issue of this poster. I doubt it would attract the attention of Ferrari, being that it's non-profit and it's made up of customer's cars. However, if you put "Ferrarichat" on it, then that changes everything, as Ferrari is a registered trademark. In fact, I'm very surprised that Ferrari has not forced Rob to change the domain name of this site, as Porsche has sued everyone who has Porsche (even mis-spellings of the name) in their domain name:

http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/199901/msg00036.html

Anyways - just thought I'd share this tidbit of information.

-Wayne

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Wayne, Ferrari has sued sites with Ferrari in the name. One of our sponsors even, but the result was actually the agreement to keep the name, plus the sponsor ended up with many benefits and permissions to sell goods they didn't have before. Sounds like a good deal to me.

I had a backup plan from day 1... www.tifosichat.com :)

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Also, I wonder how much Lexus (or whoever) had to pay Ferrari to use a 308 in a recent commercial that basically said 'The Ferrari is slow and our SEDAN out accelerates it'. :)

Since the poster isn't being used for commercial means and it's not for profit, I'm sure it's protected from most provisions. I have nothing to do with it, it's just a user gathering pics from users and printing them for personal use.

10. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Good to have a backup plan. Stuff like this keeps me awake at night sometimes. With the exception of the VW lawyers, I have heard that everyone else is pretty "resonable" to work with. A good rule of thumb is "if it ain't broke don't fix it." Hopefully, Ferrari has realized the importance of communities like these and decided to leave you guys alone...

-Wayne

11. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    I've talked with the guys at Motorbooks Intl on this issue before. Books are clearly protected, and MBI doesn't typically have any concerns when they publish books. Calendars (and posters) are another story - they have to get releases from a gazillion people when creating a calendar...

Still, I think you're right - I'm sure Ferrari has better things to do than to occupy itself with this poster...

-Wayne

12. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Hi Dave,
    thanks for your quick PM response.
    Paypal payment just done:)

Wolfgang

13. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    My order for 3 posters went out this morning via snail mail and I included some extra to donate to the cause. Thanks for all your work on this!

14. Bianco

Bianco Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Jeff