FerrariChat.com New Software Updates... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

FerrariChat.com New Software Updates...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Nov 1, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Thnaks Rob for the forum....

2. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Thanks again...

3. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    and again

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    hey, are you trying to get your post count up? :)

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Here's a status update...

Bugs Fixed
    1) Profile fields can now be submitted without Birthday bug.
    2) Thumbnails gone, you can upload one image per post inline.
    3) Changed default dark gray/gray style to light gray/white.
    4) Changed "Manage Attachments" text to more descriptive "Upload Images & Attachments"
    5) Removed IMG tag ability to keep all images local.

Top Priority Open Issues
    1) Fix slow rendering of thread messages. IE is much slower than other browsers.
    2) Making sure everyone is reregistered OK and able to post.
    3) Updating post count and register date form old board. This will take up to 7 days from the time you submit the form from the link. I have done about 160 so far. I have about 300 still open and about 100 are being added a day. My pace is about 50-60 an hour as many have submitted the form, but haven't even registered for the new site. I have to email each of those back.
    4) Changing header of non-forum pages to new style.
    5) Allowing multiple images to be posted inline on a post.
    6) Adding picture to profile.

Other topics
    1) I don't have time to go through all the Bugs, Questions, and Enhancement threads at this time. However, please report Bugs and suggest enhancements there. Please look through the existing threads first as chances are it's already been discussed. For general questions, I ask the users who have already become comfortable with the new software to help those out still learning.
    2) No worries about going to a subscription. Here's a copy/paste from what I said in that thread...

"Related to subscriptions I just want everyone to know that this is "our" community and not mine. It would be nothing without the users. I make decisions best for the community and only after much discussions. We discussed the new software for 6 months before I flipped the switch. We have been discussing subscriptions for 12 months and don't worry, I won't flip the switch if it's a bad decision."

3) Please let me know in this thread if there are any bugs or issues that just can't wait.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    We just passed 1,000 users in the first 72 hours! That's getting users over a little faster than I expected. I thought it would take a week to get the first 1,000. My goal was to have 1,500 by 30 days. On the old board we would have about 1,500 active users any given month. Many duplicate and alias id's over there. This user count is ligit active and unique users.

7. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    It may have been asked over the weekend while I was away, if so, pardon the repeat question. How does one access the files of the old board? If I want to re-read 128 old postings about timing belt replacement, how do I retrieve those?

8. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Pardon my ignorance. I found the link to the old board on the main page. Life is good now.

9. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37

10. jarends

jarends Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2001
    Princeton, NJ
    Full Name:
    John Arends
    Rob: you know what I would REALLY like:

SPILLCHECK, SPELLCHICK, SPELLCHK

You know what I mean. Could never spell.

J

11. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Thanks for the avatars and profile pictures Rob! I am loving the new version now...The image uploads work great now as well :)

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Slow and painful, but we're getting there.

13. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Hey Rob, everything looks great! Thanks for all the hard work. Don't mean to be a pain but my post count used to be around 1500 now it's only in the 80's. I've only made 3 posts in the new board. Is this just a glitch until it is moved over or do I have to start over again?

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Fill out the form from the link towards the bottom of the forum.

15. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Already did and the count went from 3 to 90 so I thought you had already updated it. Should I fill it out again?

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Well, was your register date Dec 2001? I updated it, but maybe I used an older account of yours. You had more than 90 posts didn't you? Many have submitted forms with the wrong username and email for the old account.

17. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Yeah, that's the right date. I had around 1500 posts. The username was Jay (J. Grande) The registration form is a bit different then the old forum so I used the proper name instead of the username, can I change it back to Jay?

Thanks Rob, all this must be driving you crazy!

18. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    1568 to be exact, just checked the old board.

19. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    tbakowsky needs this - heck, all posts in large text, folks. Read his quote to better understand his wish which he needs fulfilled to make not just his F-Chat experience better, but his whole internet experience better.
    He's Canadian!

[size=+2]
    tbakowsky;
    If you're using Internet Explorer, you've likely already done this:

View > Text Size > Largest
    (Click)>(Dropdown)>(Slide & [Click])

It's Okay, but not enough. We understand.

You're in for a real treat, though.

Opera Browser
    If you were to click:
    View > Zoom > 120% - it'd be equal to Large on Internet Explorer
    150% would be equal to Largest on Internet Explorer
    BUT
    200% is what you need. It's phenomenal and the text doesn't suffer.

Opera is the fastest and most customizable browser, bar none. Free, too.
    http://www.opera.com/

Once there, read up - or don't:
    Click "Free Download"

You'll see two things:
    Java - already checked - I kept it checked.
    Simtel - already checked - keep it checked - that's one of the location indicators - Keep it Simple!
    Click "Download Now"

On the following page - click "Canada, Alberta"

You'll know what to do after that. Just remember where you saved the file to! You'll need to install Opera and (if chosen) Java separately. Once installed - don't even worry about the Java just yet - that's a whole different ball of, uh, wax.

Just start your surfin' experience on Opera by changing the view to 200%, and you'll be rockin' like Neil Young.
    [/size]

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Resubmit the form again please. Thanks.

21. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Done. Thanks again Rob.

22. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    I hate it.
    I hate it\
    I hate it

I hate change. I am so conservative.

:)

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    LOL - two stories from either side of the spectrum...

Change #1: Swimming in college it was ridiculous for my first two years as each lane in practice would swim Counter-Clockwise. This would cause 5 of the 6 lanes to swim head on to each other with just the lane line separating. Just because your body is in lane 2, when you're going up and lane 3 is coming back. Then your arms with freestyle or butterfly and your legs with breaststroke would cross lanes. It would happen to each individual at least once a practice where you make contact. Like in freestyle, two hands hitting each other on the backside hard hurts like hell. Well, when I studied a semester at Stirling U. in Scotland and swam for them, they alternated counter-clockwise and clockwise so you're always swimming up together and back together with the other lane. Never a situation where you could have a "head on" collision. When I got back to Babson after that semester I suggested we make this change and you wouldn't believe how bad 80% of them *****ed and moaned because it was "change" and they had done it one way their entire life no matter how stupid and painful it was.

Change #2: My best friend in college - RIP - and I were roommates. For some reason, he wanted to change the dorm room every month. He would move all furniture and posters too. I never understood it, but after the first couple times I made him leave my stuff alone and he just rearranged everything around my stuff all year. There was no good reason for this change, he just wanted change. He was also on the swim team and didn't like the change #1 example from above.

Never in my life have I been afraid of change if the outcome is better. It's always expected the transition will have some level of discomfort, but the long term justifies it.