FerrariFobs Siren Replacement - Any Experiences? | FerrariChat

FerrariFobs Siren Replacement - Any Experiences?

Discussion in '360/430' started by jra85, Jun 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jra85

jra85 Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Has anybody installed a reflashed GM siren from FerrariFobs in their car (https://www.ferrarifobs.com/sirens) and can comment on its functionality (specifically, confirm that the siren does sound during an alarm)? I know from past threads the GM siren has its oddities when swapped with the Ferrari-specific part, so looking to verify the reflashed part works as factory. Thanks!

Need4Spd likes this.
  2. Performify

Performify Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 4, 2020
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Can't comment on the siren, but have done business with FerrariFobs and have leveraged their support to make things work, and strongly recommend them -- honestly, if @gobble says it works, i trust it works.

Need4Spd likes this.
  3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Justin- Mark knows what he is doing. If you do not trust him, you can always spend $584.65 at Ricambi for an OEM part.

This is a brand new effort on Mark's part, so there are not too many of his sirens out there yet.

Skidkid, Performify and Need4Spd like this.
  4. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I haven't tried the siren but I have used them for fobs. They are real so I would move ahead without any fear.

Need4Spd likes this.
  5. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    This is the first I’ve heard of the siren. Great news!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Skidkid likes this.
  6. jra85

jra85 Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Need4Spd likes this.
  7. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    I Just recently repaired my Siren module.
    Opened it up and found the dreaded leaking batteries.
    The acid had leaked onto both sides of the PCB.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Step one was to cut off the old batteries.
    I then used a wet paper towel to wipe off the acid.
    The acid had only damaged the solder mask but did not do damage to the copper underneath.
    After cleaning with water I then scrubbed with a toothbrush and alcohol to remove any residue.

There are a couple of small traces in the area and I was worried about the acid possibly attacking the copper in the plated barrels which could be thinner than the copper clad on the PCB surface, so before proceeding I checked for continuity.
    It all checked out so I proceeded to solder wires on the board. I then coated over the exposed copper with clear nail polish to help prevent further oxidation.
    I decided to go with 6 AA external batteries as I was able to locate those nearby. Put them into a 6 cell battery holder and placed that into a plastic box.

Performify and brogenville like this.
  8. jra85

jra85 Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Nicely done! Curious how the 9V in AAs works out, you probably could just use 5 to get closer to the original 7.2V on the board. I used a Varta 6/8H 7.2V in a 9V case (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HY6ST9M) to get the exact voltage, but reading other threads, a regular 9V rechargeable appeared to work at least in the short term. Your board was actually in worse shape than mine, and I'm surprised to hear it's still functional. I'm going to take another look at mine and do a little better cleanup and continuity checking to see if there's any life left in it, otherwise I'll likely go with the FerrariFobs replacement siren.

9. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    The individual rechargeable cells are 1.2V each. 6x1.2 =7.2V The actual voltage measured when fully charged was 7.6V. The battery packs sold are also made of individual 1.2v cells bundled together. All I did was bundle them myself.

Sent from my BBD100-2 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Need4Spd likes this.
  10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Exactly, and the 9V shaped rechargeable isn't really 9V either. That is why it works.

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  11. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Mark at FerrariFobs is fantastic. I’d add his products no hesitation.

Robb

Performify likes this.
  12. basscase415

basscase415 Karting

Jun 10, 2017
    CA
    Looks like no one who has used the Ferrarifobs siren has posted about it here yet, so here goes.

I didn't want to deal with an un-modded GM siren and its apparent weirdnesses. Also not keen on the nosebleed price of an OEM unit. I ordered Mark's siren and the shipment was prompt. Installed it on Saturday after watching a YouTube about how to access the siren. I'm not much of a DIY-er but this was no problem, like 45 minutes of fiddling (that would have been less if I had better tools or more common sense).

Works great! Plug and play. OEM behavior at half the price. A no-brainer in my opinion!

Need4Spd likes this.
  13. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    Another great product bought to the team from Mark- he is one of the best!
    Has excellent customer service and will respond to any question.
    He fixed a fob I purchased after a year and its worked perfect ever since.

14. jra85

jra85 Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks, meant to follow up my post to confirm my factory alarm was too far gone to be repaired and I ended up getting one of Mark’s reflashed GM sirens too. Verified the known quirks of using a non-reflashed GM unit that have been posted in the past were not a problem; specifically, ensuring the alarm sounds when triggered by opening the door through an open window when armed, as well as ensuring the alarm doesn’t go off when the battery master switch is turned off/on.

The only thing I can’t comment on is whether the actual alarm noise sounds correct. The reflashed unit just makes a loud, single-tone high pitched beeping sound similar to a smoke detector going off. I thought it would sound more like a typical car alarm, and could have sworn the factory unit did, but can’t recall hearing it to say for sure. It attracts attention either way though.

15. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    I just found this thread for the first time. Having installed a couple of these myself I can say that the sound is exactly the same as the original siren. It's the same exact Bosch part with updated programming flashed onto it. Anyone can look at various GM sites and see what I'm paying for them. It isn't much of a moneymaker given the time and materials needed to cut the siren open, flash it, then seal it back up. I have seen though that more people are reaching out lately with the solid LED issue indicating a bad siren. Install one of these (or replace your batteries) and you should be good for another 15-20 years.

Performify, jra85 and Mimmo Blue like this.