Ferrari's at Cuba G.P. | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferrari's at Cuba G.P.

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by pgrootswagers, Feb 2, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arttidesco

arttidesco Karting

Oct 6, 2010
    Bristol
    Full Name:
    Ralph Colmar
    #76 arttidesco, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010

2. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    art, a few minor points:

Based on everything I have read and heard at home and out there, I think my father's California is NOT the car that was subsequently raced by Grossman. Many internet mistakes go viral, especially in the Ferrari world. I believe this is one of them (I could be wrong).

#1935 was delivered DARK red (burgundy). Sorry to insist, it's important to me... You know I hate red non-racing Ferraris ... ;)

#1935 was delivered in NYC, not Cuba, in 1961 (or 1962).

I am uncertain of where #1157 was delivered. It had a short history with my father: Purchased from Chinetti in exchange for 0919 in early 1959, delivered in Cuba and immediately shipped to Europe for the honeymoon OR shipped directly to Europe (I lean towards the latter), and left in deposit for sale with my uncle in Rome at the end of the honeymoon (4 months later). Bear in mind that in 1959 Cuba was not exactly a place were Ferraris or Ferrari owners were welcome.

Cheers,

Julio

3. arttidesco

arttidesco Karting

Oct 6, 2010
    Bristol
    Full Name:
    Ralph Colmar
    #78 arttidesco, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
    Thanks for the corrections especially the dark red #1935 being delivered to NYC :)

Sorry this was around the time I was born so I forget sometimes the bigger historic context of that time.

Apart from the obvious difference in colour white to silver, is there any other reason, fact or opinion, to suspect #0919 was not raced by Bob Julio ?

I agree that these things get very twisted on the net some times it's the facts and other times it is the doubt. At the moment I know for certain Terry O'Neil has published the chassis number of Bob's (pre LM car) as #0919 so I really need some evidence to show this was not the case.

For example timing of change of ownership, any details on the car that do not match up ?

Maybe I need to get in touch with Terry and ask him where he got his information from ?

Ultimately I'd like to get this correct what ever the case I hope there is some concrete evidence out there to help us find what was the case one way or the other.

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated :)

Thanking you in anticipation.

Art Tidesco

http://psychoontyres.blogspot.com/

4. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Interesting! I will PM you.

Cheers,

Julio

5. arttidesco

arttidesco Karting

Oct 6, 2010
    Bristol
    Full Name:
    Ralph Colmar
    One thing I find a little puzzling is that many of the racing cars seen in Cuba on this thread (250 GT California excepted) seem to be right hand drive, yet IIRC Cuba is a left hand drive country. Has this always been so ?

6. enzo125ferrari

enzo125ferrari Karting

May 9, 2008
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Klaus Padelek
    #81 enzo125ferrari, May 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Cuba has always been a left hand drive country, but racing cars were always right hand drive, due to the fact that circuits were always raced clockwise.

My 212 Inter, Italian and ordered by an Italian, is right hand drive.

8. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Presumably this was because it was easier to spot the apex on right hand turns (which are more numerous on clockwise circuits)?

Onno

9. Sire Bruno de Losckley

Aug 1, 2006
    #14:
    Phil Hill/O'Shea 857 S Spider Scaglietti "0570M" disq

10. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Correct.

11. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Yes, but on a road car that is because a gentlemen in their white shoes preferred stepping in and out of their cars on a clean sidewalk. In early 1950's there was crap all over the streets. Best wishes, Kare

12. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Such a romantic explanation ;)

13. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Aaaahhhhh.... :)