FERRARI'S F1 FUTURE: Board To Decide May 12 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

FERRARI'S F1 FUTURE: Board To Decide May 12

Discussion in 'F1' started by RP, May 11, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    good for ferrari. i'm sick of the never ending rule changes, and a budget cap is just stupid. i can't wait to see bernie and max back down from their high horses.

2. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    A high stakes game of chicken. And like in Chicken there can be results threatened but unwanted that end up being realized.
    Old Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times".

3. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    #78 ricksb, May 12, 2009
    Last edited: May 12, 2009
    Is there any doubt that the battle with BernieMax was personal now? This is what I was alluding to with the shifting of the grid...I know it sounded like a lot of conspiracy hoohah, but I was just suggesting this thing is bigger than we think. While I DO NOT blame the FIA for Ferrari's mistakes and problems on the grid, I do think that BernieMax was manipulating the teams in order to make a powerplay on costs. (Brawn wasn't the problem for me...it was the rise of Toyota, Red Bull and Williams that seemed curious)

HUGE KUDOS TO FERRARI for refusing to be manipulated. We'll see how this goes, but I'd love to see them return to sports car racing. This should be even more interesting than the season itself.

Edit: just to be clear, this is just a Ferrari power-play. I can't imagine it will come down to Ferrari not being in F1, but if LdeM is willing to call BernieMax's bluff I'm certain he's willing to back it up.

4. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It's laughable the change in tune on here, I said it all along Maziax is playing his twisted war dictator games with F1, and I'm so glad that he now has Luca his foe..

I also said a stepped budget cap is the only way forward weeks ago.

This will end with everyone in a saving face exercise, the cap has already been upped, it will get upped further, it started at £30mil remember.

Fact's are, Max shot low @30mil knowing full well it isn't feasible, hoping to come as close to his objective as he can.

If cretin Max had started at 60mil the teams would want more, he is playing games with Luca, and still is p!ssed at him for the U-turn he made Max do with the Medal system.

I'am however unsure how far Bernie Hecklestone will let this go, my personal hope is he realizes Max's method's are destorying the sport and whips his ass out of F1, for good. His my way or the highway attitude has gone that bit to far this time, and is not the way to do things in this present climate.

I don't trust anything that comes out of the FIA or believe there intentions are for the good of the sport, and that applies to Bernie for that matter.

Bernie and Max together have had a good long run together, the only change in this sport needed, is there removal.

And anyone that supports Max's way of doing things, has there head firmly buried in the sand.

5. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Not strictly true, the first 20 years of their history sports car racing received equal and arguably higher priority than GP racing.

Le Mans regs are supposed to be moving towards more production based Silhouette racing which could fit in better with the road cars. Plus with the ALMS series it would mean they could race at the top level in their biggest market.

6. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Since all teams will have the same budget cap, I see no reason for Ferrari to complain. After all, Brawn GP is outperforming every other team including Ferrari with a budget far less than Ferrari as well as most other teams.

7. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    The whole budget cap idea is a load of crap. I don't want to watch a spec series, and, unlike Max, I think it would be socially irresponsible for the FIA to mandate the firing of thousands of highly skilled resources that could no longer be afforded on a stupidly low and irresponsible budget. It is a badly thought out idea and has no credibility by my book.

8. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Your not taking into account that the car was developed with Honda money.

9. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    If Ferrari goes, I stand by my vote that I will no longer be interested in F1. That said, I also suppose this could also damage Ferrari's image as the maker of street cars with a racing manufacturers pedigree.

10. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Not entitirely...I do believe that the costs to be in F1 are prohibitive to a lot of teams so these guys are trying to structure things so that any team can not only access being in F1 but also compete immediately. To me, Ferrari's position appears to be that those teams who have brought F1 to where it is (Ferrari, Renault, McLaren, etc) DESERVE the right to be better than everyone else and it's not their responsibility to subsidize lesser teams or make costs concessions to bolster their chances. Honestly, I can see both sides, but I tend to side with Ferrari because I've always seen F1 as a series with the best cars made by the best manufacturers and piloted by the best drivers. If top manufacturers cannot push the envelope, then the series becomes stagnant and spec-driven. Ergo, arguably you're no longer looking at the best cars (theoretically).

We'll see how this all plays out...

11. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    But they won't. Teams like Ferrari, that are better at throwing a ton of money at the problem rather than efficient spending, and opt to use the more limited rules as opposed to the spending cap, will be at a disadvantage to teams that can apply brainpower with less trial and error.

Also, I'm sure Ferrari is worried that some teams will be better than others at hiding expenses.

I'd love to hear what Ferrari's opinion would be if the budget cap were not optional.

12. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    And Honda had a small budget compared to Ferrari, McLaren and Toyota...

13. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    Then you should actually be in favor of a budget cap. Spec series are designed (in part) to limit costs by limiting where money can be spent. The budget cap teams will be have a much more open design, which is actually interesting in that rather than the spec approach where engineering is limited with hopes to limit spending (ie, as a side effect), the actual spending is limited directly. I imagine this has never really been pursued before due to the difficulty of actually monitoring spending.

It is widely believed that without budget limits, teams will drop out. Doesn't that also meant the firing of thousands of highly skilled resources, not to mention furthering the decline of F1, leading to more thousands of firings?

14. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
  15. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Franklin, they didn't have a small budget last year when they were developing the 09 Car.

16. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim

Only if it is red! :D

17. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
  18. regaliaconcours

regaliaconcours Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2006
    Sun Valley
    Full Name:
    MICHAEL REGALIA
    NEVER, EVER forget the power of EGO'S, and the damage they do. We have seen what it brought to American open wheel racing, and it's upon us now in F1. It's breaking time now I fear. To many players with to much power fighting for ultimate control, not a good formula for a successful resolution!!!!!!!

19. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    Ooooop's :eek:

*Note to self - "Read the thread in it's entirety before replying!"*

20. We8ther

We8ther Karting

Apr 21, 2009
    just read this on espn website, this would just be devastating if formula 1 approves their new rules on $$ cap and engine standardization for everyone, F1 would not be the same without ferrari and they would loose me as a fan, i just hope formula 1 doesn't go with it after so many objections from everyone else..............

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/racing/f1/news/story?id=4160981

21. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    If they turn F1 into a 'spec' series then I would stop following F1 as well.

22. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    That loud boom you heard was the sound of Fernando Alonso jumping off his roof, realizing he's stuck at Renault longer.............

23. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Interesting - I think F1 benefits hugely from the Ferrari legend/presence. Ross Brawn has done great things this year, but I don't think F1 would survive long term without its famous marques - Ferrari and also McLaren.

24. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    I already stopped watching. ') was my last season. I couldn't tolerate watching the sport go to hell anymore. They ruined something that I once loved.

25. F1 MONZA

F1 MONZA Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2004
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    The Future of Formula 1 is headed in a down ward slope. Sad but true. Formula 1 racing’s governing body, FIA, has already placed budget cap plans for 2010. All teams must sign up for the optional cap must limit their spending to £40 million per year. This however, does not include driver pay. Formula 1 has been around a long time. Over those years cost factors have also gone up into Re-search and development. It has worked out well for some time. Money cap was never a problem for most teams.
    However, things do change some for the good some for the bad.

In all honesty Ferrari leaving Formula would be a mistake Formula 1 is Ferrari bread and butter. On the other hand if there was another organization; Like the IRL or Champ car then the Governing Body would feel some pressure. Formula 1 does not have any competition so the Governing Body can do what they please... Just like California the State and Federal Government can tax us to death and there is nothing we can do...Nothing at all......
    john