FERRARI'S F1 FUTURE: Board To Decide May 12 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

FERRARI'S F1 FUTURE: Board To Decide May 12

Discussion in 'F1' started by RP, May 11, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. M Solo

M Solo Rookie

Oct 10, 2008
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I can understand why Ferrari would choose to no longer compete. Though Ferrari leaving and all of those regulations making everything identical to a greater degree, the sport will lose its appeal to me. I truly hope that the FIA will not go through with these changes.

2. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    IIRC, Bernie stated he will not allow Max to destroy Luca...:cool:

3. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    "The Board also expressed its disappointment about the methods adopted by the FIA in taking decisions of such a serious nature and its refusal to effectively reach an understanding with constructors and teams. The rules of governance that have contributed to the development of Formula One over the last 25 years have been disregarded, as have the binding contractual obligations between Ferrari and the FIA itself regarding the stability of the regulations. The same rules for all teams, stability of regulations, the continuity of the FOTA’s endeavours to methodically and progressively reduce costs, and governance of Formula One are the priorities for the future. If these indispensable principles are not respected and if the regulations adopted for 2010 will not change, then Ferrari does not intend to enter its cars in the next Formula One World Championship.

“Ferrari trusts that its many fans worldwide will understand that this difficult decision is coherent with the Scuderia’s approach to motor sport and to Formula One in particular, always seeking to promote its sporting and technical values. The Chairman of the Board of Directors was mandated to evaluate the most suitable ways and methods to protect the company’s interests.”

Heres the original interview on Formulaone.com

4. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I´m quite sure that ACO will be pleased to change the rules if they can attract Ferrari, Porsche and maybe others to their business.

5. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Supposing that there is still a Renault team in 2010... I seriously doubt it.

6. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    lol - good point!

7. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Stupid. I just hope Ferrari keeps their word...

8. We8ther

We8ther Karting

Apr 21, 2009
    I just hope everthing works out, Formula One equals Ferrari

9. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Guys its time to put down the gun and come in off the ledge.
    Don't lose sight of the fact that in F1 its always about the money.
    While everyone is talking about expenses the real fight is over revenue.
    The battle between Bernie and FOTA is coming down to the wire (I love that the drop dead date coincides with Monaco) and both sides are escalating the rhetoric. What we are hearing is just the tip of the iceberg. The real negotiations are not being held in the public eye and the details of the resolution will never be made public.

10. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Lateral thinking I like.. but I like being on the ledge..;)

11. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    If you're treading on thin ice you might as well dance.

12. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #112 Fast_ian, May 12, 2009
    Last edited: May 12, 2009
    +1 Good post! [I don't think I've ever said that before......]

Agreed, gotta love it going down in Monaco! However, continuing your analogy, the tip of the iceberg is bigger than it's ever been previously IMHO - Sure, they've had their pi$$ing contests over the years, threatened to break away, signed "secret" agreements ya-da-ya-da. But, I don't think it's been this public before - As you said, the compromise will be found and they'll all come out smiling and saying nothing. [I think - But this is looking serious.]

Furthermore, why all the fuss about getting new teams in? When was the last *really* new team to sign up? I know it's been 20 cars for a few years at least - Seems to me they'd be better off trying to keep those guys "in" rather than driving 'em out...... [But, before Steve says it, we are dealing with the crazies running the asylum here of course :)]

Cheers,
    Ian

13. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I think Ferrari, Mclaren, and BMW really do have a problem with the budget/testing caps and so we get this news. Incredible in these economic times.
    Those teams have been working and operating forever on the money-is-no-object business model and therefore threw money and time at problems.
    The smaller teams have been working with so little for so long that they have had to adapt a more efficient way of doing things.
    Thus when the radical rule changes hit they were more able to cope.
    Exceptions are Toyota seems to be doing OK for a big $ team and
    Force India which still haven't come to grips as a small team.

Small teams now have an equal shot at competitiveness and Maranello cant deal with that.

14. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    #114 VIZSLA, May 12, 2009
    The recent economic "unpleasantness" has got a lot of people nervous and the perceived stakes are higher now.
    More teams improve the product that Bernie sells and enhances his revenue but it dilutes the owner's profit pool. Hence their desire to recut the profit pie.

BTW The May issue of Motor Sport has interviews with both Bernie and Flav. Briatore's comments, while as self serving as Ecclestone's, are more interesting. He describes the F1 world from the perspective of a businessman. Coming from Benetton, where he was responsible for their American expansion, his attitude toward money and spending is more like Bernie's than that of your average team principle.

15. scuderia47

scuderia47 Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Mainland
    Full Name:
    Bill
    reminds me of when F1 didn't want Ferrari to use a V12 in the 80s (?exact year) so Ferrari threatened to enter the Indy series....they got their V12 in the end

16. aquapuss

aquapuss Formula 3

Sep 18, 2005
    Salo. Le Mans. That IS.

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    We may be at the beginning of the end of racing as we know it. Between ego, greed, and the greenies we might as well see bicycle formula one races on speed in the near future. I sure hope everyone can come to agreement but I am happy that Ferrari is standing for its principles. Little teams cant do it so its up to the majors to make bold statements.

18. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Ferrari is threatening to take their ball and go home?
    Just like the old days.
    Luca's just upping the ante in the FIA-FOTA war. All will be forgiven after the Monaco meetings.

19. menoy

menoy F1 Rookie

Mar 12, 2005
    PL
    Full Name:
    MRodziewicz
    #119 menoy, May 12, 2009
    Jim, PLEASE! Not so loud.... someone might start getting ideas....

20. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    This is of course a high stakes game of chicken, but the excuse that we need new teams coming in doesn't hold water in this current game of chicken. Toyota, Ferrari, Red Bull and STR have said they WILL leave F1 if the rules are not changed for '10.

Max says the rules must be changed to mitigate the danger of losing another team.

That's like saying "I am so worried my wife might leave me one day, so I'm going to get a divorce tomorrow".

So, Max is worried about another team leaving F1, so he wants to force rules upon the teams that absolutely *will* cause 4 of the largest teams to immediately depart F1?

Idiotic.

There are conflicting goals amongst the various teams. I have an idea I'd like to bounce off a few of you on this issue, but I'll start a new thread on it....

21. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    That's right he JUST said that!

LMFAO

22. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Remember folks, capitalism is a beautiful thing. Where there is a will there is a way.

Ferrari have a desire to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to flaunt their best and fastest for the world to see.

Other companies like BMW, Renault, Benz, Toyota, Honda and some others also have a similar desire to put their best up against Ferraris and each others' best to see who comes up tops.

As long as there is ROI, there will be top level racing. Ferrari knows this. The others know this as well. Even *if* egos prevail and Ferrari, Toyota, RBR and STR all leave F1, it doesn't mean we no longer get to watch Ferrari and their peers strut their stuff.

As long as there is a worldwide audience, worth billions, that is willing to pay money to go see these cars run, then the public will get what they want, one way or another.

23. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    i don't think it is so much the budget cap..which will surely go up as the p1ssing contest heats up...but the problems of having a 2 tier championship...that's what Luca seems to be against. two sets of rules, vastly different to one another..

24. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    True. And who wants to watch that crap?

A Diesel powered Ferrari? Why not solar cells and just forget the whole sports car charisma.

25. regaliaconcours

regaliaconcours Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2006
    Sun Valley
    Full Name:
    MICHAEL REGALIA
    Oh yea, that's exactly what CART and the IRL thought (again, EGO'S) Instead they managed to run open wheel racing into the ground faster than a lap around Indy! Bernie will not sit by idly and let FOTA have it their way. We will see who blinks first, of course by the time somebody does it may be too late, let's hope not.