FERRARI'S F1 FUTURE: Board To Decide May 12 | Page 7 | FerrariChat

FERRARI'S F1 FUTURE: Board To Decide May 12

Discussion in 'F1' started by RP, May 11, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Bring back Balestre;)

2. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    A month ago I was in maranello visting my cousin at the factory and I came upon the Indy car Ferrari built but never raced last time they were at loggerheads with the FIA....may be time to revisit that and a return to le mans. My cousin has been accepted into the Gestione Sportiva as an aerodynamacist (his lifelong dream) and to have Ferrari pull out of F1 now would be devestating to him.

3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Ferrari should start their own racing league. Obviously, all manufacturers are welcome. They just make their own rules.

4. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Ferrari needs to be back as a factory sports car team in LMP1.

This thread is a dup of what's in the F1 section......mods please merge.

Carol

5. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I would love to see that!

6. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Are we going for the record for number of threads on a single topic? :)

7. switchcars

switchcars Formula 3

Jul 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Aren't rules like that what caused the demise of ChampCar?

8. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Champcar caused it's own demise from day 1

9. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    It's called A1GP

10. porscheracer01

porscheracer01 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2008
    Parkslope
    Full Name:
    DD
    #160 porscheracer01, May 13, 2009
    Last edited: May 13, 2009

I used to watch F1 until the Indianapolis debacle. Also, not enough passing and can sometimes be a bore.zzzzzzzz I switch to American Lemans but what happen to the Penske Porsche spyders? eh,?!
    Anway I think F1 was its best between 2000-2005.

11. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    The Penske Porsche Spyder project was for only three years. Those cars are back with Porsche. The only Spyders currently running are those of NAVI Team Goh (in Le Mans) and with Essex (Danish team) - the Essex car ran this past weekend at the LMS Spa race, took first place in LMP2 - will be at Le Mans also.

Carol

12. We8ther

We8ther Karting

Apr 21, 2009
    thats exactly what i was thinking

13. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Time for Ferrari factory to return to endurance racing.

Maybe a factory Nascar car, lol.

14. menoy

menoy F1 Rookie

Mar 12, 2005
    PL
    Full Name:
    MRodziewicz

Or you just don't join the race ;)

15. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No Ferrari diesels please...call it an Alfa or Lancia at most.....

F1 needs Ferrari and Ferrari needs F1. Neither however need Max nor does the FIA..clearly time for max to go. The troll bernie between a legitimate breakaway series threat and his divorce will get in line.

16. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    There won't be a need for a Ferrari Diesel simply because Ferrari is bluffing:

They will never split from F1. The whole board meeting was just a charade.

No, I have no proof or source for this. Just my gutt feeling looking back at 60 years of F1/Ferrari history. They're inseparable.

17. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    They aren't bluffing, but they might as well be. Mernie will cave because F1 simply cannot run with only 3 teams.

18. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I agree but still its interesting to watch both the usually secret negotiations and the reaction these announcements are generating.

19. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    No, theyre not. Ferrari knows it, the FIA knows it. I am convinced Ferrari will not compete in a series that doesn't meet their sporting and commercial interests, nor should they. Ferrari will however, always compete at the highest level of motorsport, but it would be wrong to assume that the highest level of motorsport is per definition Formula One.

20. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Yeah, maybe Ferrari can start racing in IRL....maybe they'll finally break the US market!

I can see it now....they'll get Taco Bell as their sponsor, and "Buddy Rice" as a driver......

NOT

21. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The FIA controls the various classes of motorsport and therefore via the rules and regulations will make sure that F1 is king. If they dumb down F1, they will simply dumb down all other series accordingly so F1 remains the highest level.

Ferrari does no marketing because their campaign is F1, which gives them the necessary coverage. If there was no F1 and Ferrari would instead participate in say Le Mans (yawn), this would simply not suffice as a marketing device because the viewers (what viewers?) who watch that racing are a tiny fraction of the millions who watch F1 every other Sunday.

If you think about it, it is really simple. And obvious. Ferrari is bluffing.

22. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    Perhaps the FIA should copy Major League Baseball and have the Teams the exceed the caps pay into a fund which supports the "poorer" teams.

23. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    That's pretty much what SRTMike was proposing in his thread. Ferrari = Yankees. [Mclaren = Red Sox?]

24. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

I agree with you 100%. Yet I find this bluffing by Ferrari to be stupid and dangerous. Politically, Luca would have looked great if he came out of this supposed board meeting with an actual solution to the problem. Like a real plan to implement the budget caps without having a two tier system. Instead, he did a Bernie.

By not offering a plan, it is like admitting the only solution is the one proposed by the FIA, but since we are Ferrari we want it all our way so we will throw a tantrum first. Yea, sure. Luca just made Ferrari part of the problem, not part of the solution.

25. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #175 RP, May 13, 2009
    Last edited: May 13, 2009
    Bernie's divorce is over and possibly a scam anyway. There is no legitimate breakaway series threat, as there is no where to have a breakaway series and no one to pay for it. And if F1 as we know it today were to disinegrate, I think it likely that with the current world economic concerns, the boards of both Mercedes, Renault, Toyota would just skip F1 all together. Mercedes is one vote away from this now. Brawn and the other teams would stick with the FIA. Then you would have Ferrari racing Red Bull, and when Ferrari got tired of Red Bull beating them, Ferrari would pull a Penske/Ganassi and go back to F1.

In secret, the powers that be will figure out a way to get Luca out of the corner in which he is backing himself in order for him to save face. Then there is that very real possiblity that the other teams may leave him at the last minute. Whoops.